30 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 7:55 AM by laurabecraft

Is there a way to email all group owners?

MikeFraietta

I'm working with a community that has a few (thousand) groups and we're looking for ways to audit, condense, combine, sunset, etc. but we are having a tough time doing this without going through each group manually.

We are thinking that contacting them all sending a link to an instructional piece of content. Is there a simple way for one to obtain such a group owner list?

I did find this idea, Contacting group owners, so I'm guessing there is no simple way....yet.

I'm definitely up for other suggestions on group auditing. Thanks in advance.

• Re: Is there a way to email all group owners?
          ycheong

We're in the process of doing the same thing. We had to have a report built in Business Objects to pull the names and email addresses of the group owners (so no, we weren't able to do this with Jive alone).

tburak

Agree - this would be so extremly useful!  I've voted up the idea -

Tanya

Megan Truett

Nothing I know of out of the box. Ryan Schaller with JCS Consulting built something for us that pulls the names of all new group creators so I can enroll them in our group admin training. I imagine that can be used to also pull a master list of all who have created groups, just may miss those who were added as owners post-creation.

nikhilnulkar

I would assume such metadata is available in the database and you should be able to get that at least on request.

PS:

I've been thinking about another approach (slightly radical) off-late, after being triggered by my colleague - that of not worry about auditing at all (no cleaning up at all). But I will probably leave that for another discussion with a little more details & context

1 person found this helpful
                    MikeFraietta

Nikhil, I'm in the camp of not auditing at all. Especially not deleting content. There are hundreds that private and secret without any content and started years ago that could go. Also, the drafted communication stresses on how to make a group successful and how to reinvigorate a group, with the deletion as the last option. I think the result of this will lead to a forgotten interest for many and a slew new projects.

Mike, this would also be trivial to build as a Jive App. We're looking for some ideas for a hackathon leading up to Jiveworld. Maybe this can be a contender

nikhilnulkar

Makes sense, Mike! Happy to hear what other options we hear from the folks in here and also how you eventually end up going about it!

One side of me sometimes feels like cleaning up the unnecessary stuff like you mentioned (more like an OCD ).

EDIT:

Just came across this option as part of Community Manager Reports FAQs which gives you a list of group owners. Not sure how helpful this is, in your context, Mike.

sscullion

In considering the audit / cleanup conundrum in the past, I've found it helped pulling a report of all groups, listing for example:

• group type
                        • owners
                        • # members
                        • date of last activity
                        • date last visited

It'll likely show up some interesting aspects to consider, for example....

Does a visit constitute an active group?

Does a secret group of two members need cleaning up? (It's likely a private workspace...)

Do current community guidelines give enough clarity to the community management aspects of group ownership...?

Melissa.Rosen

We also pull a list of "all groups" that includes group owner name and email address. One thing, though: The list pulls the name of the original owner-- sometimes that person has left the company or is no longer even a member of the group. Even in cases where the Group Admin has been reassigned, the original owner name shows up. So, this list becomes outdated over time. Unless others have found a way to pull a list of current group admins? would love to know if this is possible!

tburak

Hi Mike - thanks for kicking off this discussion -

Wondering - can anyone from jive jump in and comment here please?

Owen Killmister

Wim Stoop

A database query would likely be the most effective way to derive a list like this and as Nils Heuer suggests an App would also be an approach. Rather than looking for the owner though, it might be more relevant to include administrators.

russell.pearson

In quite a few projects I've had a social group just for Group Owners and added them manually using Ryan Rutan 's Admin Essentials plugin. This serves 2 purposes. Firstly I can encourage best practice sharing and help drive adoption at a group by group level by encouraging the owners to engage with their teams and to share ideas on what works well for them etc. Secondly, I can always contact the lot either via the group itself or via the e-mail all members function. I believe the term is a 'double whammy' for success.

Kara Francis

That is what we have done (pull from the database).  We have our own "report center" with various reports that are written using SQL and can be exported.

Here is what I have on my Group Listing report:  (the Space report is similar, but to someone's earlier point, getting space "managers" data is tougher (so we haven't tackled that yet) and then instead of group members we have a column for followers)

When you run the report you put in a date range.  Although the report lists all groups as of the run time, some of the linked reports are based on a date range, so that is where the date range comes in (see bottom of the list)

• NAME
                                      • GROUPID1
                                      • CREATIONDATE (this is very helpful when trying to audit the group; but I haven't had time to have this coded into the reports themselves, so I have some formulas in another spreadsheet so I copy and paste my Group List report and then that other spreadsheet compares creation date with modification date and puts in a flag for me depending on the gap as well as compared to the system date and some other criteria)
                                      • MODIFICATIONDATE (when was the last activity date) (related to the note above, if the last modification date was more than 90 days ago, I reach out to them to offer assistance; if the modification date is the same as the creation date, I approach my call to them differently; I have a few other flags and default stationery messages based on the data of this and some other fields)
                                      • URL
                                      • grouptypedesc
                                      • EMAILNOTIFICATION1 (provides a number of how many people are subscribed, then links to a report of actual names and e-mail addresses)
                                      • GROUPMEMBERLIST1  (provides the number of members, then links to a report of actual names and e-mail addresses)
                                      • DESCRIPTION
                                      • OWNER_NAME (current list of owners - one row per owner - so groups with multiple owners show up multiple times on this particular report)
                                      • OWNER_E_MAIL
                                      • OWNER_EMPLOYEE_STATUS
                                      • CREATOR_NAME (who actually created it)
                                      • CREATOR_E_MAIL
                                      • CREATOR_EMPLOYEE_STATUS (this is helpful since sometimes the creator is no longer with the company)
                                      • MONTHLYACTIVITYDATA (the rest of these columns provide a number and/or a link to take you to the report detail and require a date range)
                                      • PARTICIPATIONBYDEPARTMENT
                                      • PARTICIPATIONBYEMPTYPE
                                      • PARTICIPATIONBYREGION
                                      • PARTICIPATIONBYSEGMENT
                                      • TOPCONTRIBUTORS
                                      • UNIQUEUSERCOUNT (# of unique users during the selected date range)
                                      • UNIQUEUSERCOUNTGRAPH

Hopefully this is helpful and makes sense.

My initial thoughts are along the same lines as Mike Fraietta - there may be lots of secret, private or just dormant groups which would be included, perhaps unnecessarily, in any "all group owners" selection. I think it's a good idea, but possibly needs some more refinement, like being able to select what type of groups' owners you want to select (so you can unselect private and/or secret, for example). In the meantime, I agree with Wim Stoop that a query would be the best way to proceed.

ben.taub

Agree with Nils Heuer Wim Stoop  and Russell Pearson. A SQL Query to pull all Group Members Where Group Role = Admin and then force join the to a "Group Admin Management Group" (sorry for awful name). 

We have membership in this Group as one of the few pre-requisites for starting a group.

Totally agree about not deleting content - but gardening seems reasonable. Would like to put Private or Secret Groups into a "Dormant" status so that inactive/old/stale content is not deleted, but maybe comes last in the search results.

Out Private and Secret Groups often are developing content in private (we think of it as "with the door closed" rather than truly secret) and then once content is finished being created/edited/approved it is copied out to a Space or Open/MO Group for "Consumption".  So those documents, once created, may be revisited once a year for revision and reposting, etc. - so we would never delete that content - but once republished they have no real relevance in the search results until the next revision cycle. 

Kara Francis

Yes, an archive status or something similar to the project archive option would be helpful - so open, members-only, private, secret, and then archived.  We have some data that needs to be stored for a certain number of years based on regulatory requirements, but the posts and information themselves may not be relevant as people search and share content.

tmaurer

I really like the idea of an app here. I would assume we are not the only customer who could benefit from this information, yet don't have a person on our team capable of creating and/or pulling queries like this. Anyone game to try and create something? Or work on a cross-company team to develop something for the apps market?

agentalpha

Here's a SQL statement that should get you a list of all groups including the email address(es) of the community admins.

Notes:

* I wrote this against a SQL Server database so you might have to adjust some of the syntax if you use a different DB

* This list includes Groups only, not Spaces or Projects

* I wrote this quickly so don't give me a hard time if I messed something up :-)

SELECT  g. groupID as "Group ID"
                                                    , g.name as "Group Name"
                                                    , g.displayName as "Group Display URL"
                                                    , g.description as "Group Description"
                                                    , CASE g.groupType
                                                       WHEN 0 THEN 'Open'
                                                       WHEN 1 THEN 'Members Only'
                                                       WHEN 2 THEN 'Private'
                                                       WHEN 3 THEN 'Secret'
                                                       END as "Group Type" 
                                                    , STUFF((   SELECT ', ' + u.email
                                                                FROM jiveSGroupMember m, jiveUser u
                                                                WHERE g.groupID = m.groupID
                                                                AND m.memberType = 0
                                                                AND m.userID = u.userID
                                                                AND u.userEnabled = 1
                                                                FOR XML PATH ('')
                                                      ),1,1,'') as "Group Admin Emails"
                                                    , CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),DATEADD(s, g.creationDate/1000, '1970-01-01 00:00:00'), 101)  as "Date Created"
                                                    , CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),DATEADD(s, g.modificationDate/1000, '1970-01-01 00:00:00'), 101)  as "Date Modified"
                                            FROM    jiveSGroup g

tmcgillis

We need this functionality too - the hitch is that we are on Cloud so a plugin won't help. Ideally we'd get a report like the CMR provides now, but with the addition of a column for group admins and space admins as well.