7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 12:50 AM by karthiknag

Message template for document sharing

mikecalderon

We are looking to edit the "Share this discussion" message template for our community. Going to the message templates in the admin console (/admin/message-templates.jsp) we cannot seem to find the template for sharing a document. Is there a template for this or does it have to be accessed in a different way?

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: Message template for document sharing

Hey Mike,

I've done some digging. I don't believe that is one that can be modified. It looks like it's a simple message that only fills in a couple variables. We might be able to get PS to create something special, but it doesn't look like it's OOTB functionality.

Nick

Mike.

A million apologies! I found it: Invite Others to Content (System) -- Give that a whirl. It affects all content shares, though.

1 person found this helpful
                  mikecalderon

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the second look. I had originally looked at the Invite Others to Content (System) and the HTML body within that template didn't match the  actual message so I figured it was not the correct template. Attached is a screenshot of the message itself and below is the HTML in the Invite Others to Content message template.

8-29-2013 4-09-31 PM.png

Code from template:

8-29-2013 4-18-22 PM.png

Perhaps it's not available as you originally suggested? I'm not really sure.

roguen

Hi Mike,

I found where it gets populated from and your hands are really tied as far as being able to customize. 

The message template it is defined the internationalized template files, jive_i18n_en.xml, under the defaultText property. 

1.) The defaultText property is not editable via the admin console.
                      2.) Overlaying the template definition in a plugin template file does not work.
                      3.) The admin console page is a JSP and it doesn't appear we can overlay that to make defaultText editable.

The share overlay is populated using a REST call to get the message text, about your only option is to try and intercept that call and manipulate the message before the data is returned to the browser.

mikecalderon

Hey Roguen -- thanks for the input!

Wondering if this be done via a phrase substitution or editing the XML file on the server. Lol.. the only change they want to make is to add a couple of words to the default sentence. Set and forget.

Mike

roguen

Did not try the XML file replacement, but I can state for a fact that a phrase sub won't work here.

The reason I know all this is because we ALSO wanted to change one little word

Our community name was AAA community.  If we made that the top level space name, then in various places around the community it would say AAA community community.

So we just named that space AAA.

Problem is that this share template didn't attach community to the end so it just said AAA.  We wanted to fix that, but no dice for us.

So hopefully I can save you some time in the research.  But if you do find I'm wrong, or find some kind of work around, by all means pass it back!  I would love it to be true.

karthiknag

Hi Michael,

Could you let us know the message template file that corresponds to the below image which you had mentioned earlier in one of your comment.

8-29-2013 4-18-22 PM.png

Thanks,

Karthik