13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 8:10 AM by caraujo

Live Blogging in Jive--Have you done it, and what would be your advice?

cservilio

Hi Jive experts, we are considering using Jive to live-blog a large internal conference.  I have never done a live blog in Jive before, so I'm not sure how the concept translates to the Blog feature.  I know some blog software like Wordpress would allow you to time stamp all your updates within the blog and they will reload automatically without the user having to refresh the page (I think), but I don't think we can do that in Jive.  I think the main things that the business users want are a) to be able to post updates that will be easily readable from activity streams on the homepage and in the groups and b) for people not able to attend the meeting to be able to comment on or reply to the blog posts.

Do you think it makes more sense for each live blogger to work with one blogpost and then "edit" it each time to add an update?  Will this be confusing without timestamps?  E.g.

Update: Our next speaker is John Smith.  He is discussing our goals for this year.

Update: Someone just asked the question, "How can we be more strategic around hiring this year?"

Hi everyone! At the annual conference now, excitement is in the air. First speaker is Jane Doe talking about talent acquisition.

Or would it make more sense for the live blogger to post an initial blog, then add subsequent updates in as comments?

A third option that I just thought of--the live blogger posts separate short blogposts for each subsequent update, although this may end up being confusing to the readers and take longer.

For those of you that have done this, how did you handle the logistics?  Chris Hall and Jacqui Chan, I saw that you had mentioned doing some live blogging in the past, so hoping you will chime in .  Thanks!

• Re: Live Blogging in Jive--Have you done it, and what would be your advice?
          crossman

Live blogging is typically done on social networks like Twitter, or on a continually updated page. As such, I don't think a series of blog posts is the right way to approach this.

KirstenL

But the live blogging is part of a larger event, then it is also good to have users do their own blogging and publicize a specific tag associated with that event.  Then you can use the WatchATag widget to surface content throughout your Jive instance with that specific tag regardless of whether attendees are posting blogs, discussions, documents, etc.  As long as people use that Tag (again, think Twitter), then anyone can 'live blog' in their own way.

laurenklein

Great question and I think it depends on the audience you are trying to reach and the 'digital habitats' they frequent.  Look forward to learning from your experience.

jacquic

We have people "live tweeting"  (Jive status updating) by emailing into our Jive platform, using their mobile devices during the conference.  The nominated live-bloggers will write a blog at each "checkpoint" eg end of each session.

My colleague Anne-Marie Imafidon wrote a very useful guide on how to live-blog at a conference.  A guide to live-blog at an event

Hope this helps.  Happy live-blogging!  :-)

bob_crozier

I 'live jived' a 2 day conference for one of our communities in the following way.

I set up a discussion topic for each seesion with the slides attched and then added supplements, off script details and the Q&A at the end of each session.  Updated with photos of key notes speakers as well.

Then all the sessions were arranged into formatted text widget to stick near the top of the Community Place on Jive for easy reference.

This was a great success with non-attendees to the conference able to get involved and have their voice heard.

the_topher

This sounds like a great idea.

Our organization has done something similar and this is the model:

1. a group/space has been created for Straight Talk Q&A sessions

2. for each session, a discussion has been created

• there is some earlier planning and promotional communication prior to the "event"

3. The sessions are generally scheduled for a 1 hour timeframe

4. During the 1 hour, some questions may be answered that were received prior; but

5. Most people log onto our instance and then begin to follow the discussion and post questions

6. The questions are answered in real time by the "speaker"

7. There is a moderator who reminds people to refresh their page and keep content flowing

8. At the end of the hour (or scheduled time), the session "ends," but the discussion lives on in the instance

I hope I have provided some additional insight.  We have done this with many senior executives and the response as well as the participation (including the depth of questions) has been remarkable.

shirlin

Hi Caitlin,

Your idea is a good one. We did something very similar to Christopher's example. 

1. Created a space to represent Office Hours with one of our senior execs

2. One hour a month, he has guest speakers and a featured topic. He kiccks it off with 1-2 discussion threads.

• there is some earlier planning and promotional communication prior to the "event"
                      • the good thing about using a discussion as opposed to a blog post is that in Comments, you can "branch" the discussions.

4. During the 1 hour, some questions may be answered that were received prior; but

5. Most people log onto our instance and then begin to follow the discussion and post questions

6. The questions are answered in real time by the executive, his guest speaker(s) and really, anyone else who wants to participate

7. Several other discussion threads can be created by anyone

8. At first we modified a setting to have the Recent Activity stream automatically refresh but realized it was doing so in the midst of us writing a response, so we turned it off. We simply use the header on the Recent Activity widget that says "Refresh here >>" . We also have a document that gives simple instructions on how to participate in Office Hours.

9. At the end of the hour, the session "ends," but the discussion lives on in the instance

• We've seen a lot more activity happen after the Office Hours, which is really neat

We've looked into embedding livestream or some kind of live Twitter feed but a) it's costly and b) it will be unsearchable through Jive.

caraujo

Hi Caitlin Servilio

Just running through this thread and am not sure if you've found a way. I'm curious because I am planning something similar for an external community. The idea is to to have a Brand Ambassador post short bursts of content updates on a blog in the jive platform.

From my understand this idea would need a specific functionality to prevent the reader from refreshing the page to get updates. Right?