1 person found this helpful
Let me tell you one thing to watch out for: ask the secretaries, receptionists, and everyone who really relies on the current corporate phonebook what they think and get their buy-in before you do it. IT turned off one division's old corporate phone book app that they thought was outdated and not needed any more, because we have Jive. Boy, did they hear it from the receptionists in our offices! I felt their wrath, too, as they expressed their frustration about how much harder it was to find what they needed while someone was waiting on the phone.
Turned out that
- no one had communicated that the change was coming
- they did not understand how to search efficiently for phone numbers in Jive.
But IT turned the old app back on within hours, and I don't think they have had the stomach to try turning it off again, yet.
1 person found this helpful
Most of our corporate phone books have been shut off. A few issues to consider:
- The only fields sync'ed from Active Directory to our Jive instance are name, email address and SAP cost centers. This means we rely on users to fill out the rest of their contact information and you can imagine how that's going -- although we have had thousands of users completing their profiles, many do not.
- We are constantly pushing users to complete their profiles and one of the things we say is that our Jive instance is our only global directory.
- We have made certain profile fields mandatory (address, phone number, business unit, etc.) but this only affects users who attempt to edit their profiles. (You can't save a profile change if the mandatory fields are not filled out.)
- A lot of users have expressed their frustration with the Search function because they often can't find colleagues.
So this is what I've done so far: (this is probably way more information than you care about, but I wanted you to read my process in case I might have missed something)
- Met with one of the primary AA's who is most active in Innovate (our Jive instance) and is a good representation for the other AA's on how they are using our existing phonebook. She had some great use cases on how they are using the existing phonebook and good feedback on what isn't working or available with the Innovate profile. They use fields in the our phonebook that I didn't think mattered, so I'm glad I asked.
- Compared the fields between the two features. We do have some of the profile fields synced with our ldap which is updated by users/managers. So many of the existing fields in the profile match the phonebook, which is good. They are also locked and not editible from the profile side, they have to be updated through our HR software. So they stay in sync
- Mocking up what it would look like to add some additional fields to the Profile so it would match what we have in our phonebook. I'm trying to make sure that the fields that exist in the phonebook, will also exist in the profile.
Here are some of the snafu's that I'm running into:
- In order to maintain the integrity and reliability of the profile, we would have to lock down the privacy settings so that users would not be able to choose what they want viewable to other users. I'm not sure how much of a stink that's going to cause. I think it's going to be all in how I spin it and through donuts at it.
- When we added custom fields in the past and when I add more, they get thrown to the bottom of the profile under the default ones which is ugly. According to Jive PS, moving them around in a more logical order would require customization, which is not an option.
- We could delete the "bulky" default fields like the profile/interests & hobbies, etc and re-add them as custom fields so we could control the order and make them fall to the bottom, but that would mean wiping out any content that users have filled out (which isn't much,, but our CEO did fill his out).
The problem we are running into with our old phonebook, is that we are displaying it within our Jive instance using the HTML widget. Apparently, newer browser versions is going to make continuing to offer this, not an option. We aren't getting rid of the corporate phonebook, it just won't be available within Innovate. People will have to click a link to get to it and get redirected outside Innovate in a new browser. You wouldn't believe the fuss this is causing. They are already clicking a link to get to it within Innovate, so I really don't get,....oh, nevermind...you guys have been down similar roads.
Ted - you said "they did not understand how to search efficiently for phone numbers in Jive.: Short of going directly to the users profile, are you doing this some other way?
I can't remember exactly how the receptionists were searching ineffectively in Jive. Suffice it to say that there are many different ways to locate information in Jive, and the route they chose was long and inefficient. With some simple training, we were able to show them ways to find people's contact information faster.
Overall takeaway there was, don't assume people know how to search effectively. Be sure to show them all the tips and tricks so they don't waste time.
I'm pretty sure none of my team is guilty of assuming our users are searching effectively :-)
I thought you had some fancy tips to share in that martini glass of yours.
1 person found this helpful
Laura, one of the things we found is that Jive people search uses the username field to create results, thus people who had something other than their name, or had for example jbecraft as a username, would often not show up at the top of results (or at all). And since we don't sync with AD, people can add whatever they want as their name. This can be problematic for Suzie who people think of as Susanne. Also, we started with Jive before there were separate fields for first and last name, so searching by last name can be problematic depending on where you are doing it. And finally, again the lack of an AD sync means that some people either didn't have a phone number at all (original users, before we had mandatory fields) or hadn't updated it recently enough.
So some of it was down to needing training, but much was down to implementation issues.
Thanks Tracy. Yeah, I ran into that username/user name issue and asked Jive about it. I want to display both since many of our users use both and this is what they said:
It seems that the 'Name:' field will either display the full users name or the username you cannot have both.
So if I want to display both to all users, I have to create a custom field and map it to our ldap username. I definitely think there is more finagling with all this than there should be. I would like to be able to display fields that make sense for my organization in the order in which it makes sense for them. We do have ldap mapped to some of it, so we know we can do that, and that's good, but it also means the more I try to add without being able to refine that UI, the uglier it gets. No one wants to kiss an ugly baby.
So, I'll muck around with it some more, NOT rip out the existing one and try to come up with something that offers some benefits the other doesn't have.
I'll keep ya'll updated in case anyone is interested.
Thanks for starting this discussion, this is certainly a feature I'll be looking at closely as we work our way through Jive's features and functionality.
Anyone have any further updates on this?? Great conversation and we're looking at implementing a better corporate directory as well.