30 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 11:27 AM by l9rezn

Importing existing videos to a discussion

Hi guys. I'm looking to add a video to a discussion that's already been uploaded to Jive. That is... I don't want to @-mention the discussion and point people somewhere else, but have the video within the new discussion post or comment I'm making.

I just tried to do this:

import-video-Jive.png

But no 'from your videos' content appears!

Any advice much appreciated, as we expect to share more and more video here going forward!

• Re: Importing existing videos to a discussion
          tmaurer

Do you already have it posted elsewhere in your community as a Jive Video? If not, it won't appear in that window. Instead, you could click the From your Computer or From the Web tabs.

thebryceswrite

Hey Tony,

I've just researched this and gotten some data back as well as I noticed the same problem. Apparently a design decision was made with 6.0.x to have the "From Your Videos" only pick up videos that you've uploaded via the "Insert Video" button and then "From Your Computer" within posts directly. It does NOT pick up videos that you've uploaded as unique Jive Video content objects.

You can test by doing an Insert Video From Your Computer test and see when you later come back to From Your Videos, those will appear.

I am actually quite bothered by this design decision for a few reasons:

1. Content->Videos browse is searching for video objects only, so I encourage most users to upload their videos that way, not directly into content. And it makes more sense in search as well when a video is a stand alone content type.
            2. In order to embed a video somewhere in a different content type to give it some more rich information around it AND have it available through Content Browse, I have to now upload a video twice. Presumably taking up twice the storage allocation.
            3. And I don't know if deleting a post that had the video embedded actually deletes that video from the video server. I haven't confirmed yet. Again for storage quota management purposes.

I just learned of this information yesterday myself. But trying to still get comfortable and understand the implications of it. Either way I'm not crazy about the decision if in fact it was a purposeful design decision.

Thanks for raising it here!

Thanks Bryce, this is an incredibly useful insight and really appreciate you taking the time to share it!

Indeed, it does seem awfully 'fiddly', and ideally we would be in a situation where video content existed as a standalone item, that would have it's own comments stream, but could also be pulled into different conversations and discussions, shared as people see fit.

There are a lot of hopes pinned on the launch of Jive 7, let's hope more robust video supports comes with this. Certainly, and internal communications pro I speak to these days is looking to ramp up their video output, and Jive is in a fantastic position to support this - with the right tools!

John Schwiller

When we went through this 'learning' six months ago, and I'm sure there are other discussions on JC [citation needed], we were told that the decision was made 18 to 24 months ago and that those involved in the decision and the implementation have since moved on - because I wanted to the have a sensible discussion with them about how stupid it was. In addition there is the issue of video popularity which falls down if you have to upload 2 copies.

laurabecraft

Another coworker shared this post with me.  Glad to read I'm not the only one disappointed by the change and lack of communication regarding it.

I wasn't aware this was a problem until we upgraded to Apps recently and it disabled our ability to embed Videos.  A "known" issue that was resolved with a fixpack this week.  Side note:  if you are using the video module and plan to enable Apps (if you haven't already), it breaks the video module.  Make sure you add that to your testing plan.

So we fixed that problem and another user asked me about the ability to embed from files uploaded as a file and when it would be "fixed."  It wasn't reported to me originally and one of other team members gave her some erroneous information about it being fixed eventually.  Since she asked, I asked Jive and got this response yesterday:

Unfortunately the bug ended up being closed out as invalid due to the fact that it was a Product Management decision to not allow top-level objects to be chosen in the "From your Videos" tab, only those that have been uploaded through the "From you Computer" tab.  The engineer that closed out the bug as invalid advised to file an an improvement request in place of the bug, which I have attached to this case.

Which renders the video module rather useless, in my opinion and the Corp Comm user I shared this with. My new instructions on how to use it don't read well, and sound a little like "stick your tongue in your cheek, rub your belly twice, then select your video."  In addition, our Corp Comm was using this quite heavily so they have a lot of videos and none of the videos that show up in that list display a name.  Since our Corp Comm news videos all start the same way, it's a pain for her to sort through.  They are very, very unhappy which = me being very, very unhappy.

Also, I can't seem to embed one in a blog, just a discussion or document.  She can though.  Is anyone else having this issue?

So, in conclusion:

I would like a little heads up when functionality is removed so I can inform my users.  I understand that things change, I like change, I just don't like spending +hours wasting my time trying to figure out if something is  intentional or a bug.  Plus, we are having these "support" discussions openly in our environment, so all our users are watching how this plays out.  The Jive response is not going over well.

If the functionality isn't returned, then this feature is a tough sell for me to make to our users.  Does anyone know if a feature restore request has been formally made to Jive?

RichardRashty

This seems like a perfect instance where the broader JIVE user community needs to put forth a collective voice to have this decision revisited and potentially changed for JIVE7

John Schwiller

See   https://community.jivesoftware.com/ideas/2084  

As far as I can guess if it is endorsed that means it is already logged somewhere

mnevill

I think that idea is covered by the announcement that importing 3rd party videos will now be supported in Jive 7: The specified item was not found.

Video communications are an important part of how our customers want to use Jive. Now, the Jive video experience is like a professional YouTube for the enterprise.

• Import 3rd Party Videos. Create videos by importing them from other video websites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu, Ted, Dailymotion and many more.
                          • Improved Video Viewing Experience. The video content page has been redesigned to give users a much larger and immersive video viewing experience.
                          • Better Video Player. Much simpler, cleaner and capable video player that can play HD videos in full 16:9 aspect ration and resizes based on any view size.
                          • Better Video Creator. The video creation process has been significantly improved to allow for a better video uploading experience, a new and powerful recording experience, and the all new create by importing from a another video site option.
                              laurabecraft

I'm looking at the Jive Preview site which is running 7.0, and the video module still looks the same to me in terms of what you can insert.  I still don't see the option to insert them from videos you upload into your community.  I have a couple of test videos uploaded in that community and they don't show up to select from to embed into a document:

video 7.JPG.jpg

Hi Tony (and others),

I'm a new product manager at Jive, and have been focusing heavily on video. As noted, we have some significant enhancements coming for in the Fall Cloud Release (scheduled for November), which will be rolled into Jive 7 for release later in the year. There's all sorts of great content in the The specified item was not found. group, including an upcoming "deep dive" for the new video features. (Jive Preview won't be updated until 2-3 weeks before the the cloud release.) I'll point out now, that the new video features don't address your question about "importing existing videos to a discussion", so let me explain…

Video Content (created and searched as a "Video" in Jive) and Inserted Video (inserted through the Rich Text editor) are handled differently. It can be a bit confusing, and that's an area we're looking to improve in future releases. Conceptually, the "From Your Videos" selector displays only your previously Inserted Videos, in the same place. That last part is important, because of how permissions prevent a video asset from residing in more than one place. So, if I insert a video into a comment on a document in Group A, then make a comment in Group B, I will not see that video in my videos. (As long as you're in Group A, you can access all of your inserted videos, without the need to re-upload.)

Regardless of why it's build this way, I understand what your expectation of a "scrapbook-like" feature, where you could access all of your videos over and over, without duplication. Most users probably don't make the distinction between Video Content and Inserted Video. I'd love to get more feedback (separate discussion?) on this and related concerns and address this in a future release.

Hopefully this helps. I'll work with others here to ensure features of this sort are better documented going forward. Let me know if you have questions. -dk

John Schwiller

Thanks Davin. Would be great if you can start a discussion or nominate a place somewhere to act as a nucleus for people to restate their desires. For me, it is a single copy of a particular video which accumulates views so that 'popularity' tells us how many times it has been watched (or at least started). Having to upload a particular video 'both ways' so it appears under videos and can be embedded is a nightmare.

Also, when the videos are in FAQ type docs then these docs may need to be edited by several community managers, and with videos being fast moving content that expires, the concept of 'your videos' is pretty unfit for purpose if it means a particular doc always has to be edited by a given community manager.

tmaurer

Davin,

I'm sure there are lots of us who would love to give you feedback. Just point us to the right location.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

Davin, this is useful, thanks for your help. And yes do point us in the right direction and we'll happily share our requirements!

In my experience using another Enterprise Social Network, uploading a video as a piece of 'content' and then re-using it again and again in discussions, threads, private messages etc was a relatively seamless experience, and worked really well for us in the Corp Comms team.

laurabecraft

Davin, thank you for your comment.

I know our Corp Comm area would very much like to provide you with some requirements and how they used the tool before and how they would like to see it grow in in the future.  Just point me to the location where I can provide the information to you.

thebryceswrite

Thanks Davin,

You may already be aware or know where to find it, but in my earlier reporting of this through our implementation partner, they have submitted JIVE-31154 as an enhancement request on this topic. But as others mention, I'd be happy to help contribute to the conversation / ideas on future behaviors.

Thanks!

mcollinge

We customised video so that it'd work with a different provider, and also made some other changes;

1. Make all videos uploaded by users public across the site.. they are not locked down
                                          2. Videos embedded by users from other sites (like YouTube) are created as full Jive video records.. that means they're visible in search results, and have their own stand-alone page. We make sure we don't get duplicates. Title + description + tags are pulled in from the other site using an API call, and populate the video record automatically
                                          shaunbo

This separation of "From your videos" and "Videos" is preposterous and confusing to users. Dealing with a ton of questions around this on our instance and it circles back to one thing -- video in Jive seems like something from yesteryear. Sharing vids as "Video" content is very confining. They don't even have an autoplay toggle!

l9rezn

Hello tony.stewart@nbcuni.com,

Let me know if you are still looking to achieve this as I may have the answer for you.

Thanks!

Lea