8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 5:33 PM by jeff.perkinson

Inviting non-community members to a private group using their email

pkuhn_cptx

I am hoping there is a community manager out there that has a creative way of inviting people to a secret group who are not members of the community.

Here are more details on our specific situation.

• We have an external facing community
      • We use SSO
      • On a regular basis we create secret groups and want to invite people to join them.   There is usually multiple invitees who are not members of the community yet.

Does anyone know how I can send them an invite to the group?  The current approach is we have to tell them to login to the community to create an account.  We then have to wait for them to join, once they join we can go in and add them to the group.

• Re: Inviting non-community members to a private group using their email
          pkuhn_cptx

charles.mae, Ryan Rutan, I am going to @mention both of you on this hoping you might have some ideas.  I REALLY need a way to invite people to a secret group who are not members of the community.  Is there anyway for me to generate an "invite url" that I can email to them.  I am OK with having to approve them, but I need some way that I can send someone an email and they can click on it and request to join the secret user group.  

These are secret and not private groups.

• Re: Inviting non-community members to a private group using their email
              Ryan Rutan

Question, does inviting them to a Secret group not work?  Manage > Members > Invite Members and just put in their email address?

• Re: Re: Inviting non-community members to a private group using their email
                  pkuhn_cptx

Nikhil Gupta, I am going to pull you into this conversation to explain to Ryan why we can't do it.    I just tested this out in the Jive private space and it does allow us to use their email to invite people, but on the Freescale Community when we upgraded to Jive 6 we lost that capability.  Nikhil has explained to me that it is because Jive combined two features into one.  However, it seems odd to me that I can do it in a private space in community.jivesoftware.com but I can't do it in community.freescale.com

• Re: Re: Re: Inviting non-community members to a private group using their email
                      daniel.marotta

The process flow is a little different if you have SSO and the recipient is not registered on freescale.com

When you send out the invite to the Secret group via the "Invite people to join this group" functionality, the recipient will have to step through your freescale.com registration process. After completing that registration form, the member will most likely not be brought back to the Secret group, and instead land back on the community homepage or some other webpage.

I recommend using the "Invite people to join this group" functionality, and in the personal note section, tell them they need to register at freescale.com first before visiting the link or accepting the invite to the Secret group.

• Re: Re: Inviting non-community members to a private group using their email
                        nikhilgupta

Hi Ryan,

The problem that we are facing is because of the Jive functionality where it doesn't let you invite people to Jive via Email address if SSO is enabled and Registration is disabled in Jive. Thought behind this as explained by Jive Support Engineer behind this is

- Since Registration is disabled in Jive so inviting a user with email address is meaningless since user will not be able to register.

This explanation is sound in the case where Registration is disabled completely and users in the community are created and maintained by an administrator.

This is where our community is different.

- We have SSO enabled so user registration and authentication is handled by our own site (www.freescale.com). So if we invite people to join our community via email, they will click on the the link and directly taken to the login page where they will register for the site and proceed.

- This was working before upgrade because we had registration enabled in Jive and had a custom redirect written to redirect the user to our registration process in case user clicks on Register link. This is no longer a viable option in Jive  because Registration page is a Web Overlay and hence it doesn't let any redirect to work on it.

I hope this makes sense. We had a case open with Jive Support for the same discussion. If you would like to look into that i will send you the case number.

Thanks,

Nikhil Gupta