4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 3:45 PM by lauren.hogue

Is there a way to feature a specific poll on the overview page?

lauren.hogue

I've created a poll and want to feature it on our community's overview page for all members to vote on.

However, the only widget I can find to feature a poll is the latest poll widget.

In addition to have known latency issues (it takes about 30+ minutes for the latest poll to automatically populate into the widget) I realized that as soon as someone else creates a poll and stores it to the whole community, it will show up as the "latest poll" instead of mine.

I know there is a way to select who has rights to create a poll on the overview page, but I'm not totally sure what this does? Does this prevent other polls created by general users from replacing my poll?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to work around this?

Thanks!! See you all at Jive World!

• Re: Is there a way to feature a specific poll on the overview page?
          lorilea

I'd love to hear the answer to this one too. We had a week-long contest where each day employees could vote on a new poll generated by Corporate Communications. On the last day, the poll widget ended up bumping the poll and instead showing a newer poll that was created by employees in our company's cycling group. So I had to remove the poll widget from our home page and add a link to the poll instead. Definitely not ideal.

the_topher

Hi Lauren,

I love problem solving, especially with Jive.

So, first let me clarify - I am not an expert.  I just had a quick thought about a way you could achieve this that might help, if only as a temporary solution.

Here is what I thought:

Use a blog and a picture of the poll that acts as a hyperlink to the poll itself.  In this manner, it appears that the poll is there and when users click on the image, they are taken to the actual poll.  One potential problem is that you may end up having to read through comments on the blog and the poll.

Just a quick brainstorm that I thought might be helpful.

Good Luck!

spearce

I assume that you cannot edit the overview page.  If you can or you can get the owner to do so, your post as 'last created' would be the one to show in the poll widget.  You could also ask to have your poll marked featured in the feature widget (again, you need to talk to the group owner to get it marked featured AND to ensure there is a featured widget in the overview page).

lauren.hogue

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I decided to use the html widget to post an image people could click to then get to the poll (similar to what you suggested, Christopher). I've put a screenshot below...I just posted this a few minutes ago, so we'll see if it's successful or not.

Sharon, I do have admin rights to the homepage, my concern was that someone else's poll would eventually bump mine off as the "latest created".

Capture.JPG