6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2008 3:50 PM by rdellimmagine

Threads and Messages Reporting

rdellimmagine

Go to the ClearspaceX admin console, then the Reporting tab, then Discussions, then Threads (or Messages).  Is Threads a subset of Messages?  In other words, if there's a thread with 3 replies, does that show up as 1 thread and 3 messages or 1 thread and 4 messages (i.e. counting the thread as one of the messages)?

Follow-up question:  On my site for any given week, the number of messages is 4-5 times the number of threads.  However, if I look at admin console -> Reporting -> Discussions -> Replies per thread (avg), it consistently shows 2 or 3.  I would have thought these two measures were the same, but apparently they are not.  What is the difference between these two?

Suggestion:  For all of the metrics under Reporting, explain exactly how they are calculated.  Thanks.

• Re: Threads and Messages Reporting

Hey rdellimmagine,

Messages are in fact a subset of threads, but with some exceptions. The first post in a thread, is considered a thread, as well as a message. All subsequent posts are considered messages as well as replies. So to follow your example, a thread with 3 replies is 1 thread, 4 messages, and 3 replies.

As for your follow up question the reason the numbers don't add up is because some messages count as both messages and replies, while some messages count as messages and threads. So if you have  a large amount of threads with no replies, the average number of messages will be larger then the average number of replies.

Hopefully I've made a coherent response. If I've confused you in any way just let me know and I'll try and sort it out.

~Sean Moran

Good stuff Sean!

rdellimmagine, I let our documentation guy know about your request, thanks for bringing it up!

Cheers,

AJ

rdellimmagine

Thanks for the clarification.

I still have a question about 'Replies per Thread'.  For any given day, we typically have 5 or 6 times as many replies as threads.  But the 'replies per thread' report only shows 2-3 replies per thread (average and medium are close to the same).  So that means 'replies per thread' does not equal (new replies)/(new threads) -- if it did, it would be 5-6, not 2-3.    Does it mean (replies to new questions)/(new questions)?  That would make sense, since it was only counting replies made the same day, which would be a lower number.

Anyway, please explain how this is calculated.  Thanks.

hi Robert,

The replies per thread report gets all the threads that were created on day x and then computes the number of replies for each thread. I think what's happening is that this report only calculates the number of replies for threads created on this day, where the total number of replies report counts the .... total number of replies across the entire system.  I'm thinking that this is a case where the 'taking a nightly snapshot' of data doesn't really work, but on the other hand, maybe this particular report just doesn't make sense. If you're interested in the logic behind all these reports and you've got the source code handy, check out the StatisticsGenerator interface and then look for all the implementations of that interface.

Cheers,

AJ