16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 11:27 PM by xsingy

What are the top metrics you track for your community?

I'm curious what people are tracking in their daily/weekly/monthly reporting and consider essential for their community? Doesn't need to be tied to any of the Jive products.

Would love to hear why you consider them important. I would be curious to see if the metrics are compatible across company sizes or industries!

• Re: What are the top metrics you track for your community?
          DustinSmth

Everything.   Okay, maybe not everything.

Our quick metrics include:

• Page views
          • Logins
            • returning and net new
          • Total Q's asked
          • Total Q's answered/helpful
          • Total content created
          • Total Ideas created
          • Total posts by our top 5% of users
          • Login duration (avg. and median)
          • Avg. # of characters per thread/message
            • We track this as a depth of conversation indicator across spaces and groups.  When we see it start to tick up it usually means an epic thread is happening somewhere (for better for for worse).

For Tableau and our external community it's as much about change in % in relation to yesterday, last week, last month, last quarter last year.  Some people call this scorecarding and it's really a handy way to get the following questions answered at a glance:

• Any crazy shifts (increase or decrease) in the last 24 hrs. that might signal something I should drop everything and pay attention to?
          • Compared to last week, are things up or down?  Above a certain threshold means I'll probably investigate, but it's not a firedrill
          • Compared to last month, last quarter and last year are higher level metrics - these are of more concern from a strategic perspective.

This isn't exactly what my external community dashboard looks like, but the concept is very close.  The green & red KPI (key performance indicators) are critical for me on days when I'm busy and am whipping through my email in the morning.  I can make decisions on what I need to focus on in seconds.

Beyond Jive we track certain conversion metrics as well as click paths.  We do a lot of work with understanding how people get to our site and where they ultimately leave from.

Thanks for sharing Dustin Smith, would have been extra surprised if Tableau didn't have a solid metrics strategy!

I was involved with a company that tracked some interesting metrics.

For community health they looked at:

• Trend in total active members (defined as posting 1 post within the last 30 days).
              • Trend in content (defined as posts per day).
              • Trend in reply behavior (defined as the average depth of threads).
              • Trend in time to reply (defined as average time to first reply).
              • Trend in sentiment (defined as positive posts - negative posts to get a sentiment score).

They combined those metrics to output a health score and displayed that on a huge screen in their office.

Ted Hopton

I think it's essential to distinguish between metrics for an internal community and external community. There's plenty of overlap in what is tracked, of course, but significant differences in expectations.

For example, I have been using CMR to track active, participating and contributing members, particularly as a percentage of registered users. But CMR sets a rather low bar for an internal community: once in the past 30 days. I'm now thinking we should expect more engagement than that from our employees, so I am looking at weekly data to get a better picture of who is engaged, how often.

I agree on the distinguishing and perhaps expands the original question further to see how some metrics have different meaning given different context.

I'm curious Ted are you then going to try and model what an engaged employee looks like to create best practice material, training material, etc.? What's the next step after you get the better picture?

Kate Bellard

My team also heavily tracks the active, participating, and contributing members. In our first year, we have focused on increasing registered users and getting our adoption rate to 40% active. As we approach year 2, I'm curious as to what is a good target number for contributing members (as a percentage of registered users)? Is 10% of registered users too high/low?

Ted Hopton

Ah, Kate, if only it were simple to answer these questions!

Kate Bellard wrote:

My team also heavily tracks the active, participating, and contributing members. In our first year, we have focused on increasing registered users and getting our adoption rate to 40% active. As we approach year 2, I'm curious as to what is a good target number for contributing members (as a percentage of registered users)? Is 10% of registered users too high/low?

As someone who got burned early on in my community manager career by setting goals such as you describe, only to find that moving those numbers is REALLY hard to do, I'd encourage you to be cautious.

You did not say what your current contributing percentage is, but it is not realistic, IMO, to expect to move that current rate higher quickly. Changing people's behavior is hard work and takes a long time. Just bumping it up one percentage point may prove tough for you to do.

There are specific events that I have seen make the contributing percentage jump up:

• a major software upgrade (e.g., Jive 5 and Jive 6 upgrades introduced new functionality that our members responded to)
                        • launching the advanced gamification module (we really got people's attention in a big way and they responded)

There's another factor working against you, too. You're in Year 1 and so the community is new and shiny and people are busy bees creating lots of content to populate it. As time goes on, it becomes just part of the furniture, so to speak, and not the brand new thing everyone is talking about. Furthermore, after the foundational layer of content has been created, the pace of content creation is likely to tail off. We actually saw a much higher contribution rate in Year 1 than we did in subsequent years.

I would say it's good to have a long-term objective of increasing your contributing percentage, but I would warn against committing to specific increases within finite periods of time. Frankly, you just don't have that much control over people's daily work habits. You can influence them and change the culture in your organization over the long haul to get those numbers to increase, but predicting when that will happen, or how fast, or what will make it actually happen in your particular organization... well, you might as well ask the Magic Eight Ball!

1 person found this helpful
                          xsingy

Hi Kate Bellard,

the engagement you get depends also a lot of the positioning of the ESN in your company. As we already had SharePoint, we needed our business case for Jive to be distinct from what we could already do without the ESN, and show it would bring value. So we have put the emphasis on using Jive as the place to work. Not the place to publish finished content, or to chat, but the place to "get things done". And this has a big impact on engagement: when you use Jive to work you contribute, you participate. The challenge then is to get as many groups as possible to work together. The more groups of people work like that the more it becomes the natural way to interact with colleagues.

It also depends the "competing" environments you have in your company: SharePoint, Intranet, etc. The more you have, the harder for users to understand where to do what. We're thinking of moving both our Intranet and our SharePoint content to Jive mid term, that should re-enforce the change.

We piloted Jive from July 2013 to April 2014 and launched it officially in May as we already had 2300 registered users.

Today we have

• 4700 registered
                          • 2500 active
                          • 1400 participating
                          • 624 contributing

I'll be at JiveWorld2014, if anyone wants to meet to discuss engagement techniques or our CMR data, let me know!

Kate Bellard

Definitely a good point - we are in the process of defining SharePoint/Intranet vs Jive right now. Currently, we are pitching Jive as our "system of engagement". Much like you said, the place where you get things done. However, most employees are still stuck in the Outlook mindset and are primarily using Jive to consume information and engage in discussion. Our percentage of contributing users is only about 3%. How are you driving users to work in Jive?

I think our user adoption would be much stronger in this regard if we had integrations with Microsoft Outlook and Office. Fingers crossed this will happen next year!

xsingy

Hi Kate Bellard,

for sure Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook can help a lot. Our teams around the world really love Jive for Office and it really helps them "work in Jive".

Our approach to drive people to work in Jive is to multiply the sources of influences to make the change unavoidable. We leveraged many techniques explained in this book .

Basically here's what we do:

• We make the people want it :
                                    • In all communications touch people at personnal level with "what's in it for me" messages. We avoid mentioning corporate benefits such as "it drives engagement" instead we prefer benefits like "Jive is a great tool because it allows me to spend less time on my computer".
                                    • We collect testimonials and success stories and publicize them. It's not corporate communication or the project team who tells you what you can do. It's your colleagues
                                  • We provide many channels for users to understand how to do use Jive to work:
                                    • videos
                                    • quick cards
                                    • tons of documents adapted from Jive official documentation
                                    • online training sessions via Lync
                                    • classroom training
                                    • a help group
                                  • We harness peer pressure by
                                    • getting top management to participate
                                    • embarking manages to lead by example (this is a slow process but the payback is very high)
                                  • We make sure your network of people can help you too by:
                                    • ensuring the highest level of expertise with leading users / ambassadors . We also involve them in our key decisions.
                                    • building a network of groups. The more people use Jive around you the more support to move you get from your peers
                                  • We add more motivation angles by using gamification and rewarding people who create leading communities in Jive
                                  • We work hard to make Jive the easiest place to work with using
                                    • SSO
                                    • Users automatic registration (syncronization with our corporate user directory)
                                    • Using Jive for Office and Jive for Outlook (Jive for Office is installed by default on all employees' computers)
                                    • Upgrading all browsers around the company to a recent version
                                    • Implementing tricks in our intranet so that links to Jive open in Chrome (where it is faster)

This is a continuous effort but it really works!

Dennis Pearce

Here are some things I track (ours is a strictly internal community):

• Our profiles include country and business area fields pulled automatically from Peoplesoft, so I use those to filter the CMR reports so we can compare geos and business areas to see if there are significant differences.
                            • The CMR content report is cumulative, so if for example the number of documents increases by 100, you don't know if there were 100 created or 500 created but 400 deleted in that same time period.  So I also track content created per month.
                            • To really "work out loud" in my mind means a goal of 100% participating, so I prefer to look at percentages rather than absolute numbers.  I track active as a percent of registered, participating as a percent of active, and both active and participating as percents of the total employee population.
                            • I'm not too crazy about the CMR adoption graphs as rolling 30-day windows, so I take the value of active, participating, and contributing at the end of each month and plot it as "users per month" over time, which makes the trends a little clearer for me.
                            • We are combating a tendency in our company to use Jive more for a document repository than a collaboration tool, so because of that I have been tracking rate of subspace creation, amount of content per space, ratio of discussions to documents, etc.
                            • Over the last year we have gone through both layoffs and acquisitions, and our base population has been fluctuating.  So absolute count of views, likes, etc. doesn't mean much to me.  I tend to convert those to views and likes per user in order to normalize them.  I am also looking at number of likes, responses, etc. per view as another way to see if we are increasing participation.

The above I try to do once a month, but there are also a couple I have done occasionally, mostly when I get curious:

• Look at the points distribution (how many employees at each level) and see if and how it is shifting over time.
                            • Look at profile completion (specifically photo, avatar, and expertise) overall as well as broken out by business area and geo, and also sometimes by active and participating.
                              mnevill

We are an external support community and here is a quick list of what we track in out monthly metrics:

• views, unique views, visits, unique visitors from Google Analytics
                              • total registrations and active users from CMR
                              • correct answers supplied by users and employees by product relating to company division by month and total all time from a core system database export
                              • questions marked as assumed answered monthly and total all time from a core system database export
                              • number of unique users (non-employees) supplying correct or helpful answers by product relating to company division from a core system database export
                              • count of subscriptions from "receive email notifications" and "track in communications" for particular spaces by product relating to company division from an EAE database export
                              • results of our survey asking if the user found their answer, if they would have contacted us otherwise, and rating their experience all from surveymonkey
                              • traffic sources from all search engines, specifically from Google, from our main website, direct, and from social media from Google Analytics
                              • content views by product relating to company division from CMR
                              • search usage and terms from Google Analytics
                              • Top 50 viewed documents, questions, and places from CMR

This is some awesome feedback guys. I think it might warrant a document to summarize some of the key metrics mentioned for reference for other members.