4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2013 5:38 PM by ann154

Retrieve deleted activity from a specific disabled user

jhon.scarso@openenglish.com

Hi guys, is there any way to recover all the activity such as posts, documents and messages, deleted from a disabled/enabled user account?

Best regards,

Jhon Scarso

• Re: Retrieve deleted activity from a specific disabled user
          roguen

Hi Jhon,

If you're disabling a user, which is always recommended, their content should remain intact in the community.

If you are deleting a user, which is another thing, I believe the only way would be a query against a DB backup (I'm unsure if any of that data is retained).

Can you clarify as to which of these two it is, and what you mean specifically by "recover"? I mean, for example, have an export, content still available in the community, etc.

jhon.scarso@openenglish.com

Hi Roguen, what we need to do is this, john.doe@nbc.com(just an example), was working with us around 3 years, then, he left the company.

I have all the activity copied (is there any way to export all of this, without doing copy/paste) but I want to undelete whatever this user has deleted (comments, posts, etc) for the past 3 years, is that possible?

Regards.

roguen

Alright, I think I have a clear picture now.

From my experience there is no method in the admin console to do something like this in a manner that is likely useful to you.  You would need to run a query against the DB to retrieve that data.

The fact that I can navigate to a space (in the admin console) and then select "Document Management" or "Discussion Management" from the side menu does indicate that the DB is keeping the deleted content for the user even if it's not being displayed in the community.

The problem is that this content management screen does not offer anything in the way or filtering on users, document ID look-up or anything else of the sort, only pagination.

This is a Jive 6 instance I'm looking at by the way, not sure what version you're on, or what differences that might provide.

The non-query way of doing this is to go space by space (I don't believe there is an interface like this for groups) and page through the documents looking for this user and hitting the restore button.  Pretty tedious, especially with a 3+ year old community.

ann154

I have seen an instance where this would be useful to have as an option for the administrators to restore content deleted by users.