17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 8:23 AM by ryanrutan

Is there an IFrame Tile example?

Scott A Johnson

I see from some of the documentation that displaying an iframe is a supported visual style for a tile, and see some references to a "video" tile example, however in the jive-sdk, I don't see any examples that show this style and how to configure it.

I also saw that there was some thoughts of removing iframe as a supported style (or at least hiding/deprecating it) in the future, is this why there are no examples?

• Re: Is there an IFrame Tile example?

Mark Weitzel may be able to provide some insight. 

Currently in Jive 7 (or current cloud) the only supported Tiles are:

Unsure of a specific roadmap for future tiles, but something we can look into.  Lets see what Mark has to say.

agentalpha

Scott A Johnson did you ever anything back on the iFrame tile?

Thanks,

Gary

I did a check back then, and there was no IFRAME tile definition on the roadmap.  I can ask again; however, this seems a bit unlikely based on the response I got last time.  If you can give some use-cases, I can try sharing them with the team; however, I provided 5-6 different ones that I could think of around 3rd party snippets and simplified clipping of portal information and there wasn't enough meat behind them.  Perhaps you'll have the silver bullet? =)  Let me know, happy to run this back up the flag pole (and respond to the thread this time) =)

agentalpha

I think your use cases are solid.  Outside of that, I thought iframe would be the avenue to use when creating anything outside Gallery/Calendar/List/Table/Gauge look and function.  For instance how could you recreate the 'Ask a Question' widget as a Tile?  Or create a search tile, or a gamification like leaderboard, or custom looking links (like you have on left for the Developers space), or custom shared HTML snippets.  We just moved to 7 so I'm just starting to develop some tiles and understand how they work so maybe there's a different way to accomplish these type of things I don't really need an iframe type.  So if there's something else I can use great, point me in that direction, because don't really need an iframe to support my uses cases.  I just thought custom HTML/JS/CSS things like that Jive might want running in an iframe so it wouldn't interfere with that page as a whole.

agentalpha

Ryan Rutan does it make sense what I'm looking for?

The big element that we dont want to lose site of in regards to Tiles is the fact that they are purposefully meant to separate data from presentation.  As we move forward into mobile times, insuring fidelity across all devices is a big focus ... and when you open up a generic IFRAME, that gets put into jeopardy. 

If all you want to do is custom JS/CSS/HTML, then you can use the HTML Widget not a Tile... and attach files to the place...and put all your customizations there.  That is the best option without using IFRAMES at the moment.  Does that make sense?

farid

Hi Ryan Rutan, Is it possible to develop a custom tile using node.js for iFrame ? If there is any example or documents please provide

dsaby

but Ryan Rutan the html widget clips off the js or external css only allowing inline css. so how would an admin for a group be able to achieve it.

Robert Hanson

Sabyasachi Das wrote:

but Ryan Rutan the html widget clips off the js or external css only allowing inline css. so how would an admin for a group be able to achieve it.

I don't believe that is true.  I was playing around with HTML Widgets yesterday and has it loading (and executing) JavaScript and CSS.  The two JS files were hosted by two different sites (a Google CDN for jQuery and another CDN for Bootstrap), and the CSS too (hosted on the Bootstrap CDN).

And I didn't do anything special, I just added script/link elements like this...

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script src="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.2.0/js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>

<link href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.2.0/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

Are you seeing something different?

Robert Hanson

Ryan Rutan wrote:

The big element that we dont want to lose site of in regards to Tiles is the fact that they are purposefully meant to separate data from presentation.  As we move forward into mobile times, insuring fidelity across all devices is a big focus ... and when you open up a generic IFRAME, that gets put into jeopardy. 

If all you want to do is custom JS/CSS/HTML, then you can use the HTML Widget not a Tile...

Ryan Rutan, I think the think that we (me?) are struggling with is that HTML widgets, tiles, and gadgets are all limiting us in some way.  If I could use a gadget on the page it would be perfect.  But nope, I am limited as to where a gadget can appear so I need to use a tile.  But the tile limits me to specific styles, so I need to use an HTML widget.  But an HTML widget presents me with other issues, like not being able to push data to the content area, instead I need to pull... but then I can't verify that the user is authorized to view the content.

It would just be nice if I could use a tile, widget, or gadget interchangeably (or maybe show different ones depending on the viewing device).  Meaning that any area in Jive that currently allows me to drop in any one of these would ideally allow me to drop in any one of these.  If we had that ability we could always use the best tool for the job, but right now we are limited with respect to what tools we can use on a given page.

Anyway, I guess I don't have a question ... just adding some commentary to the discussion.  It would be great to know if there is anything on the roadmap that will expand the areas where we can use each of these tools.

Thanks.