10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 8:39 PM by lindoty

Training Library - Allow Comments or Not

bob_crozier

Hi Jeff , (and anyone else who like to help me)

I am in the process of setting up my Surf School (Training and Resource Library for WAVE, my instance of Jive). Do you allow comments on your Training Group? 

Should this be a one-communication channel i.e. this is how you do stuff or are comments useful in this setting?

I appreciate the feedback. 

Kind Regards

Bob. 

• Re: Training Library - Allow Comments or Not
          thebryceswrite

Bob, I can't imagine running my training/help area WITHOUT interaction. It makes the product better, makes helping people get answers to things that are clear faster and easier, and allows your peers to help one another when you or members of your team aren't immediately available.

I can't tell you how many times people have commented on one of our resources and mentioned that something didn't make sense, was out of date due to technology changes somewhere, or provided input on their experience...and then we used that feedback to immediately improve the help resource. Or just left the comments on there to provide other visitors to that page context and further details.

Just this morning I had someone comment on a help page we had for wiki pages and using sections / TOC...asking questions at a level of detail that I hadn't put in the help resource. Then when I answered...I got about 5 likes within an hour from other people.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of the informal learning/support that complements your structured training/support. In fact, I find it more valuable over time as using the interactions to build your captured knowledge base grows on top of your provided and structured resources.

1 person found this helpful
            christy.schoon

Hi Bob,

I've found commenting to be essential in your Training, Resource, and/or Help place.  It allows people to ask questions about the video they just watched, the FAQs or articles they just read, etc.  Sometimes by the community members asking clarifying questions it can even hep you fine tune your content.  And lastly it shows the power and context of the new 2-way collaboration and communication tools you are providing to your organization.  BTW, I love the term Surf School!  Enjoy the ride.

1 person found this helpful
                laurabecraft

Totally agree with this.  User comments have provided some great feedback that's helped me fine tune my content.  People seem to appreciate when I take their comment, adjust my content accordingly and then ask if it's clearer or whatever. I think that fairly immediate reaction to them helps seal the impression that this is a living community that they are a part of and not a static one-way thing. 

I also have a separate questions area for more general questions not related to a specific function.

bob_crozier

Comments it is then.  Thank you Bryce Williams and Christy Schoon.  I appreciate the tips. 

Jeffrey Murnan

Yes, I would recommend allowing comments -- we allow them on all of our training documentation

While it is not that common, occasionally someone will comment noticing an issue or have a question on the documentation. I like giving people the option to add their feedback and it is not a huge time commitment to answer questions as they come up.

Kara Francis

We allow comments for the same reasons mentioned by the others - it helps to have extra sets of eyes and real users who try to follow our materials provide feedback.  As someone who lives in the platform 24-7, we may omit something that we assume is obvious to everyone else or we use jargon that we think we have explained enough, etc. 

I also have our wiki set up to encourage people to go in and edit the documentation themselves.  If they notice an error or have a helpful addition to the instructions, I encourage them to go ahead and add it.  It eliminates a few extra exchanges.  I still get notified, but it cuts out at least one step.  

The number of those that I can consider a SME increases on a daily basis.  It's great to have them participate and also demonstrate that they could have a wiki for their own team's processes.  (wikis are underutilized in our environment at the moment - working to change that.)

tmaurer

We also allow our employees to comment on training content, for all the reasons already stated. And I can attest to the fact that comments are few and far between, but helpful. Sometimes people make somewhat unrelated comments, but even that is good as they are usually questions that needed to be answered, and at least the person found a way to ask them.

We also allow discussion posts in our help area. And sometimes, people not on our support team answer them. That's a pretty cool feeling!

lindoty

This might not work for everyone, but I have a group that is a library of about 200 "how to" documents and not only do we leave comments "on" but we leave editing capabilities "on" too.  We have added an approval step, so we can keep quality control on any edits by community members.  My vision was that it would be wiki-like.

It's a pretty fascinating social study, though. People really just don't / won't edit a document they don't feel they've a right to edit.  They will, however, comment about it and we can jump in and do the edits.  I have gotten a few of my regulars to feel comfortable enough to edit on their own so I still have hope for the future. haha