4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 8:53 AM by msoltow

API Endpoint for Tags?

msoltow

We have a Jive Cloud instance and are discussing how best to manage tags (clean up duplicates, etc.).  We'd love to write a script to help us do that, but I'm not sure how to access a list of tags in the system via the API, short of pulling out every piece of content and extracting the tags attached to each item.

We'd also like to build some custom HTML widgets to help users browse by tag (in a similar manner to the "Popular Tags" widgets, just more customized), but have no idea how to pull out a tag cloud or a list of the most popular tags.

I can see that there is a "TagManager" service for on-prem instances, but is there any way we can access tags through a cloud instance?

• Re: API Endpoint for Tags?
          msoltow

Bump.  Does anyone know if this exists?  This would be a really useful feature for us.

Ryan Rutan

Michael Soltow - could you confirm a bit more what you are trying to accomplish?

For example:

Jive REST API v3.3

using the search service, you can execute queries to load content using tags as filters. 

That would power a display of content by tag.  Perhaps you are talking about the lack of API to generate a tag api to list "most popular" or "most popular by container" or something similar?  If so, that is something we can follow-up with engineering.  At a high-level, the core product has the functionality to do it, but it is currently not exposed via our V3 API.

Apologies for the wait, but let me know if you have any further questions.

kottmast

Thanks Ryan,

Mike and I are working together on this, so I can elaborate a little, but it is the latter case that we are interested in.

There are at least a couple of use cases I can think of. We are implementing this within a research setting with a lot of scientific terminology.  One use would be to periodically review (with the help of a script of some sort) the list of tags in the system to help identify redundant tags. The aim being too aid in our content governance strategy. Another useful feature would be to help guide the user through the content.  Searching by tag is working great when we know what tag to search for, but we'd like to help the user by making some smart suggestions of what tags to search for when they aren't sure.

It sounds like maybe the potential is there, but not implemented? Thanks for responding. We would love to follow up if this might be feasible somehow.

Steve

msoltow

Thanks for the responses, Ryan and Steve!  I'd also like to add a use case.

We are certainly pushing the search functionality as the primary way to find content, but inevitably, users will also choose to browse for content from time to time.  When they do, they usually start with categories to filter out content at a high level.  After choosing a category, it would make sense to use tags to further filter content until you get what you want.  However, the "filter by tag" button in the "Content" view is not responsive.  In other words, if I've already filtered content by a category (or another tag, for that matter), the list of tags is not reduced to only the tags associated with the filtered content.  Instead, ALL the tags are presented to the user as options.  I think it would be far more useful to the user if the tag list narrowed as the user filtered content in order to guide the user to the content he/she is looking for.

Of course, our first choice would be that the system itself had this functionality.  Since it doesn't, however, we are open to exploring custom development options to give our users a rich navigation experience.  However, to do this, we would need access to the list of tags and be able to filter that list based on a subset of content in the system.

Thanks again, Ryan, for your help!

Kind regards,

Michael