3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 6:31 AM by lindoty

Naming your Jive Community

Hello Jive Community members of the mid-west! Currently at my organization we are looking at re-naming our intranet. I wanted to see what other companies have done with their intranets name as a away of bridging the gap from the previous intranet. Before we launched Jive we branded it "LINK". Our current SharePoint intranet is called InSite (which we are thankfully moving away from). We have a giant board dedicated to come up with the next name of our Jive intranet, but I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your experience on what you did with your corporate intranet's name. Thanks in advance everyone!

• Re: Naming your Jive Community
          lindoty

We went from The Link to The Hub.  I'm not in the group who made the decisions.  I like that it's simple.  I know they tried to stay away from anything to campy or with unique spelling or letter-formulation (e.g. theHUB). 

I like that it's short and sweet.  I wish it didn't have "the" in front of it, just because every time I type it out I wonder if I should refer to it as the Hub or The Hub.  Silly, but I just wish I didn't have to use "the" each time.  I do, however, like the fact that a HUB is a connector of many. 

Good luck!

tmaurer

We've been around for a while, and our Jive instance was first launched (much to the dismay of our Global CM) as "The Wiki". When we upgraded to Jive 5, we took the the opportunity to also rename our site. We put the issue out to our employees to help come up with a name. I would NOT recommend that, as it was enormously contentious. Many of the suggestions got equivalent amounts of negative and positive votes, and engendered very passionate discussions (mostly civil). There was also a huge contingent of people who thought the whole naming thing was a distraction or terrible use of time - why not focus on better functionality?!

Anyway, in the end we also went with the Hub, and for the same reasons on terms of meaning. Also, we have a global community and needed to stick with something that was recognizable in many languages. And if not recognizable, at least with no negative connotations. We worked with a translation company to ensure that it passed that test in the most common employee languages.

Best of luck!

lindoty

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, and are probably dealing with a million already, but I think HQ or Virtual HQ (VHQ) would be a great name.  I know many communications people want to avoid acronyms, but HQ has the benefit of being a well established acronym that conveys a concept representing what you are trying to do virtually with your Jive intranet (I assume).