8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 11:02 AM by leeannbird

Group vs. Space

leeannbird

Greetings!

I'm debating between a group and a space to house an organization's (50 people) market research/intelligence.  Ultimately, I'd like to help the entire firm centralize this kind of info but that will take some time as we're still in pilot with Jive. I'm leaning toward a space since it would be easy to move it in its entirety beneath a larger, firm-wide market research space.  (I am getting the impression that business units may want their own places, but at least a centralized parent space could encourage cross team collaboration; could employ watch a tag widgets to spur this on, too.)

To note, we are reserving the use of spaces for just business units and enterprise-wide use cases. If market research/intelligence doesn't become an enterprise wide use case, would be odd to have a one-off space for it.

Am I missing anything that would suggest a group instead? Would appreciate your thoughts-

Lee Ann

• Re: Group vs Space
          bob_crozier

In my experience, Spaces tend towards quite closed off locations where it is difficult to get involvement from other parts of the business.  Groups on the other hand can lead to intelligence being gleaned from unexpected quarters. 

The overheads on managing the permission list can be burdensome whereas as Groups allow for more interaction and less admin. 

It depends on the market research/intelligence that you have but a private group is easy to manage and keeps the information secure until you want it to become public. 

Business units will want their own space but again it cuts off the rest of the business and maintains the status quo of 'little kingdoms' and discourages sharing. 

1 person found this helpful
            Ted Hopton

I'd echo the general sentiment Bob expresses. Groups tend feel more collegial, in part because you actually "join" them, while people only "follow" spaces. Which word makes you feel more fully engaged? It's not always the case, but in general we have found that groups get more active participation and engagement than spaces do, and they easily cross organizational boundaries because they are not located within any other defined place.

1 person found this helpful
              deeparamesh

The way we have structured our community is, all official Knowledge Management documents (POV, Thought leadership, case studies, proposals ect) are in a space. We also created spaces for business units (Marketing, Solutions, HR ect) and for regions ( NA, Europe, Latam and Asia).  Groups are allowed for everything else ( client teams, departments, office groups ect).

It's really what you want the spaces and groups to function as. Spaces are mostly where we post official documents that are managed by specific space owners who are experts/leading that job function. Groups are mostly for users who have other specific needs and want to collaborate with other users and have private discussions (hence Client teams).

Groups are mostly more active but we do have exceptions where some spaces actually have the most activity. One of our Knowledge sub-spaces gets the most active participation as its a place where people can post questions for experts of the subject matter or any other user can respond.

2 people found this helpful

I think you've already got some great feedback... I think immediately, I've always broken down the groups or spaces discussion based on a few quick points:

• I've always broken spaces down as the hierarchical, longstanding areas where sub-communities and more intricate permissions are required. These are more of the portal side of our story, and tend to be places people go for content in different buckets (being categories, subspaces, etc.). Generally, you have less of these across your instance, and they are centrally owned at some level
                  • internally, these can frequently line up with business units or GTM groups in addition to the staple "Sales, Marketing, HR" etc.
                  • externally, these can be products, themes in the business, classic forum breakdowns, or areas where the technical limitations of groups forced the progression towards a space.
                • Groups are flat, with no ability to nest, and no custom URL (OOTB) - these are more likely to be the collaboration side of our story where people actually get work done. Groups can spin up around an idea or theme, like Jive Gamification User Group, a group of like-minded individuals like Internal Communities/External Communities, or other topics (this is really dependent on your company culture - some facilitate a very open, very personal culture.. in jive internally, we have groups for running, hiking, people who like wine, etc.). Generally you have many more of these across your instance, and these are decentralized

A couple of questions I use a lot

• who/how many people are managing the space? gauge their knowledge of Jive, and see if they could do the same thing in a simpler format and the request may have gotten twisted on the way
                • who is this visible to? do you need any rich or intricate permissions?
                • For whatever reason (# people, content, etc.) - do you need to nest these places? Would projects in a group suffice?
                • How long will this be active? Is there a timeline for this? What happens at the end of it ?

Re: Spaces vs. Groups This is the same question in a really lengthy thread... if you're looking for some interesting reading, this can be great. End of the day, everyone uses and understands the concepts slightly differently.

Hope that helps!

Here is a Jive Places Overview & Best Practices for Groups, Spaces, and Projects that I have had put together for Jive Sales reps from my former role at Jive.

I think to give you more direct guidance:

• Definitely under-architect vs. over-architect when starting out... based on what you have here:

To note, we are reserving the use of spaces for just business units and enterprise-wide use cases. If market research/intelligence doesn't become an enterprise wide use case, would be odd to have a one-off space for it.

I would probably set it up as a group initially, and if the group really begins to grow quick and hit capacity issues then move it to a space

Charu10

Hi Lee Ann Bird ,

I think by now you have a bundle of thoughts and experiences posted above , I am sharing mine.

I have also faced the situations like yours , but the magic I found by answering the below set of questions :

1. Is the Content meant for broadcasting (To a large audience) - Go for Spaces on the other hand if its a small set of users like 50 or so - Go for Groups
                  2. Do you have to maintain a hierarchy of content to be put in different places , this demands sub spaces - Go for spaces.
                  3. Administration plays an important role to get on to a conclusion , if you need an easy management (few roles) - Go for Groups on the other hand if you need access to the content based on different user roles (Role based hard core) and the administrator is fine with creating user groups and managing things from admin console - Go for Spaces
                  4. If the need is to have a dedicated theme and your team wants a different look and feel.- Go for Spaces

Hope that Helps.

Cheers!

Charu

Charu Gulati - on the mapped themeing, you can actually do this with groups as well and as a community manager I love the idea. That said, as a CM I also love the idea of quicker, easier upgrades... as we're going through our upgrade process on the external side now, just want to throw to keep in mind that heavily customized themes will hamper your ability to upgrade.

Charu10

Hi Max ,

Max Carton ,  I agree you can map a theme for a group but according to my understanding and usage I found that all the content pages (documents, discussions etc) inside the group will still be using the default theme (Root Community).

We got some requirements that the users want to sense that they belong to a particular set therefore we went for spaces and themed them , yes I agree we should not customize it heavily .

Cheers!

Charu

leeannbird

I've been out of the office - sorry in my delay in saying I'm thirlled by all of your thoughtful responses! Thank you!