2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 11:40 AM by philreiter

Is it possible to limit point-awarding actions per content type -- single blog post, document, etc?

philreiter

A few members in my community discovered a way to level-up, point-wise, quickly by re-rating the same document multiple times over the course of a day. Is it possible to limit the number of point-awarding actions that can be performed on a particular piece of content, rather than limiting the number of times an action can be performed across the community? To clarify, I would rather not limit the number of times a user can rate a document on a particular day (outside of an impossible cap that would indicate an instance of gaming the system), for example, just for a particular post.

Thank you very much for your reply!

• Re: Is it possible to limit point-awarding actions per content type -- single blog post, document, etc?
          Ted Hopton

I think the only way you could accomplish this objective would be to set up individual missions for every piece of content you wanted to limit in this way. Obviously, that's not feasible. IOW, you can't do that in the system today, on a mission set up to reward an action such as rating.

I strongly urge you to set pretty low limits on the number of times per day that every action triggers points being awarded. (In our community, the limit per day is 3 times for most actions.) People will be tempted to game the system if you don't. It's a shame to not reward someone for every time they do something if it exceeds the daily limit, I know. But it's far worse to unwittingly motivate people to do unproductive things -- which you will be doing if you make it dead simple to rack up points for rating content 20 times per day, for example. How many people really should be doing that more than a few times a day?

Speaking from experience here...

1 person found this helpful