5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 10:18 AM by whoiskevin

Attachments and External File Storage

gdinning

I'm working on an External File Storage implementation and finding some unexpected behavior.  Uploaded files are sent to external storage as expected, but document attachments are not.

Is this expected behavior or am I missing a setting somewhere?

• Re: Attachments and External File Storage
          whoiskevin

You may not be missing anything.  I'm just started looking at something with improving document previews and while I haven't gotten into the external storage framework files I can tell you that Jive treats an uploaded document different than attachments to documents.  It would not surprise me if the external file storage only applies to uploaded documents.

Probably not much help I know but a little history.  I'll be curious if anyone chimes in with some official information.

1 person found this helpful
            abhidwi

I have explored and tried ESF examples and so far I have not seen any support for attachments and insert images. Attachments and images are getting stored on Jive side not on external storage.

~Abhi

gdinning

By default they are stored in Jive in the JiveBinStore table, but the point of External File Storage is to store them somewhere else.  Could be a third-party solution like DropBox, Google Drive, etc. or it could be a home grown solution.  It definitely supports uploaded files - I already have that working, but it looks like attachments aren't sent to ESF.

It turns out that we're going a different route with this, but I don't like to give up and admit defeat...  Aron Racho or Sagi Eliyahu and enlightening words on attachments and ESF?

Saving attachments externally is optional. It depends on the ESP (External Storage Provider) implementation and the resources it returns to the ESF.

For example, the Box ESP we implemented does not support attachments but the SharePoint ESP does.

To support external attachments have your container registration request return a resource named "uploadAttachment", which is similar to "uploadFile".

Please see External Storage Framework - Documentation for the ExStorageAttachment entity definition.

whoiskevin

Well that is good news since what I have experienced from users is that they don't really understand or consider an uploaded document any different than a document with attachments.  They expect that the behavior would be identical.  Now I just have to get Jive to stop compressing files into zips.  The properties to turn off IE safety and compression don't seem to have any affect on Jive 7 in my tests.