POSITION Director, Collaboration Engineering
LOCATION San Diego, California
ORGANIZATION With more than 17,000 members, Vistage International is the world’s foremost chief executive leadership organization, providing unparalleled access to new ideas and fresh thinking through monthly peer workshops, one-on-one business coaching, speaker presentations from hundreds of top industry experts, social networking and an extensive online content library of articles, best practices, podcasts and webinars.
Today, Vistage International (TEC’s successor) and its global affiliates operate in 15 countries. Members meet in small groups every month under the same guiding principles—to help one another make better decisions, achieve better results, and enhance their lives. They’re also connecting in ways our founder could never have imagined, collaborating online, tapping into a vast content library, and learning from hundreds of top industry speakers.
Vistage-member companies generate nearly $300 billion in annual revenue and employ approximately 1.8 million employees around the world. Studies have shown that Vistage-member companies outperform their competitors and, on average, grow their revenues at three times the percentage growth rate after joining Vistage.
We invite you to visit our website at www.Vistage.com and learn more about the way in which we help our CEOs become better leaders, make better decisions, and achieve better results.
Please send your resume to email@example.com if you're interested.
OPPORTUNITY We need an experienced Director of Collaboration Engineering to lead the development team responsible for the social business platform in use by our members, Chairs, partners, and staff. This person will partner closely with our Digital Product Management team to identify current and future needs, develop a long-term roadmap, and deliver on that plan.
The Director of Collaboration Engineering is a key member of the Application Development team, managing enterprise system development efforts, to include design, development, implementations, enhancements and ongoing support.
The position is an entrepreneurial mix of professional state of the art software development skills, exceptional ability to mentor and manage software developers, a willingness to roll up your sleeves and write code when needed, and an outstanding ability to partner with Product/Project Management.
What are the top challenges for the position?
1. Our business environment is fast-paced and fluid. You’ll need to ramp up quickly and be comfortable with change.
2. Our development and release processes and practices are evolving. We’ll look for your insight on how to further refine our methods while delivering consistent, quality deployments in the midst of those changes.
3. We have a blended on-shore/off-shore development model. You’ll have to effectively utilize a team comprised of internal developers and a mix of external on- and off-shore developers to be successful in the position.
What are the top actions we are looking for?
1. Seamlessly assume leadership of current in-progress development deliverables for our social business platform.
2. In collaboration with other development managers, QA, and the PMO, refine and formalize the development and release processes and practices.
What results do we expect?
1. Monthly maintenance and enhancement releases on time and within budget.
2. In collaboration with Digital Product Management, develop a near- and long-term release roadmap. Work with Project Management to scale, schedule, and deliver on that roadmap.
If you would like this story to be yours, send a copy of your resume along with a cover letter telling us why this job should be yours to firstname.lastname@example.org. ***Please write Director of Collaboration Engineering in the subject line.
Come join our team. We’re very excited to meet you!
- Manage the development team responsible for implementing, maintaining, and overall health of our on-premise Jive social business platform.
- Provides a single point of leadership to streamline communication, present a common understanding of development plans and goals and facilitate change management.
- Partner with the PMO to ensure the development milestones and timelines are met.
- Communicate regularly with senior management on system/software development progress.
- Establish success criteria with stakeholders and regularly solicit feedback to assess progress.
- Maintain production Jive instance and provide operational support as necessary.
- Interface with internal IT operations team and external partners as needed.
- Provide oversight and leadership for development contracts to ensure vendors are delivering as expected.
- Formalize and refine department coding practices to ensure integrity and consistency of developed code across the blended team
- Follow the principles of a Service Oriented Architecture in an enterprise environment
- In collaboration with other development managers, jointly create and maintain a 3-year technology strategy for the enterprise applications which includes necessary stability, performance, and upgrades and aligns with the release roadmap and business goals.
- Continually survey the technology landscape to ensure that the most modern and effective ideas, techniques, strategies and policies are implemented to the benefit of the business.
- 10 years’ experience in an enterprise development environment
- Strong knowledge of Jive social business software platform version 6+ and several years’ experience in an architecture or development role supporting that platform on Red Hat Linux.
- 5 years leading technology developers, conducting their reviews, and supporting their career development.
- Several years’ experience leading a blended development team of internal, off-shore, and contract/temporary resources.
- Experience with other frameworks (.NET, Spring, GWT), languages (.CSS, .PHP, C#), platforms (Force.com, Boomi, WordPress), and operating systems a plus.
- Familiarity with Atlassian developer tools including Jira and Confluence
- Experience extending on-premise, legacy, and cloud-based applications to a mobile user community
- Ability to partner with senior level project management on multiple large-scale software development projects
- Experience presenting to and working with senior management.
- Familiar with and able to apply various software methodology approaches such as Agile, RUP, Feature-Driven Design, and SDLC.
- Knowledge of enterprise application development is critical, from understanding underlying database design to developing for multi-tier Web applications.
- Use and understanding of design principals and patterns such as SOA, web services, and object-oriented design.
- Strong software development background.
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Broad based technology platform experience is preferred.
- Consulting experience is preferred.
- B.S / B.A in Computer Science, MIS required, Masters preferred