18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 7:58 AM by Ryan Rutan

Feature Idea: Was this helpful for all Content-Types

Ryan Rutan

So in the spirit of the "Question/Answer" feature for Discussion threads and possibly an overlap into ratings, it might be interesting to know if a piece of jive content was useful or not to someone who found it.  Not sure how to position this quite, but somewhere between ratings and comments lies an easy opportunity to identify a piece of content as helpful.  Initial thoughts on what we would like to see include :

"RSS Feeds for Helpful content" - filtered by Tag and or Search Criteria?

Helpfulness factor - The number of times content has been specified helpful....displayed somewhere near the top of the document perhaps.

Helpfulness possibly tied into Rating's logic for Most Popular possibly.

As I said earlier, this is a middle-esque feature between ratings and comments to capture specifically the nature of Helpful.  Hopefully, whatever mechanism is chosen, this will provide a more granular mechanism to deduce helpfulness across all content types....with less noise in the calculations.

I've gotten Jive to create a Feature Request ticket here for those interested:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/issues/browse/CS-3611

• Re: Feature Idea: Was this helpful for all Content-Types

Nice idea! So, if I encounter something that is helpful, I can "vote" for it, perhaps. And, I get only one vote per piece of content. Boolean. Either I vote for it or I don't.

Maybe a thumb's up icon. And then, like digg, maybe I want an opposite feature, something to "bury" the piece of content.

Ryan Rutan

And on that note...in brainstorming I had some other ideas......

For example, let's say I can give a thumbs up on a piece of content....as the content owner, perhaps I'd like to see which users in the community gave my content thumbs up?  Perhaps this content to extend to not just a thread, but also a message you posted.....this way contributors to conversations can also get some credit?

Likewise, it would be nice if I could see from my User Profile page all my content that has been marked as helpful with expandable menus to show the users under the content who marked it as helpful.

Loving the discussion on these ideas....hope to keep them going =)

P.S.  I think a special smiley space with a thumbs up should be used instead of a winking one....makes me self conscious j/k =)

Thunder clapping, lightning flashing...

You know, in larger organizations (heck, in any organization), SMEs are sometimes asked to report to their managers anecdotal measurements about how they shared their expertise, and/or how their IC/expertise was reused/rated by others. More importantly, when looking for experts and the knowledge that they've shared, many prefer to read/contact the folks that trusted others have recommended most. It's like buying stuff at Amazon.

The reputation management capabilities in cs(x) could be enhanced with a list of the content - or perhaps a list/cloud of the topics/tags that represent that content - for which that person has gained a positive (or negative) reputation.

Another thought: what if I could tag your profile, and others can see all the tags in a cloud when they visit your profile? And when I hover over a tag, I see the names of those who tagged you with it?

We do this inside my company today in a home-grown application. I realize it's not for everybody, so you'd need to give admins and off switch on that feature.

It's a super-fast way to figure out how the community views that person's contributions. Probably better applied inside the firewall, though.

Again, forgive if some of what I describe is already in 1.x or 2.0 beta. I just finished playing with openfire and spark (wow, 4 minutes to install and configure the non-enterprise version, can scale to 500K concurrent users with just a 2-node cluster; fell out of my chair, why the hell aren't more companies using it?!?). Now, I'm off to install/configure CS 2.0B so I can experience the admin love.

Really, you should make your software more complicated to install, configure, and use. It's what many people are used to, after all.

My organization is looking for similar "was this helpful" functionality.  For example, being able to indicate comments on documents were helpful.  Can someone from Jive tell me if this is planned, and if so, where is it on the roadmap?

thanks,

-Jess

Ryan Rutan

Look into the bookmarks feature with labeling in the new 3.0 series.  It could serve as an OOTB solution to critique content; however, worst case it is the exact data-structure you need to build a customization.  Just a thought in the event you were in limbo.  Something to note:  Taggable Users has been implemented in the 2.5.x series, and the concept of fly-by-tagging is a customization we were able to develop with minimal effort in 2.5.4.

Hope this helps,

RR

Thanks for the reply.  I don't quite understand your answer because I haven't seen the features yet.  I hope to upgrade my sandbox instance sometime this week.  I'm certain it will make sense once I've upgraded and and played with the new feature set.

thanks,

-Jess

Ryan Rutan

Ahhh ok......well basically...SBS Favorites/Bookmarks indicate for a single person why content they like to see.  This "flag" has the option of being public or private.  When viewing a piece of SBS content, all users can see a total count of all public marked Favorites.  This is very similar to the indication that a "Thumbs Up" or "Helpful" gives you.  The reason I through in labels, is that if you wanted to distinguish between a special kind of Favorite vs. the general masses....bookmark labels are a way to possibly break-up labels into buckets.  This would probably require some development to get that to work (pending your requirements)....but overall, regardless of whether or not someone Favorited it because it was helpful, or because they liked the color...the content still is indicated as being better than content that has no Favorite indications...

Hope this helps, and enjoy. This is a feature our users have been looking forward to quite a bit....so we are happy to see it finally here.  =)