11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2008 10:59 AM by rmonge

Cross Community Communication

One of the biggest reasons we adopted Clearspace is because we wanted to breakdown the silos between the various silos on our organization's committees.  Clearspace has the tremendous potential to help us with this BUT right now this is posing a serious problem for us..

We have a general "CAC (our organization) Community" but this should be used only for material that is of broad interest to people across all subject areas.  Saying that, we get a large amount of material that should reach more than one community.  For example, we have a Communications Group and a Security Committee, each of which has their own community.  95% of the time, there is no crossover BUT when our external security partner plans a marketing campaign it is of interest to both groups.  Creating a separate community, quite frankly, isn't practical. 

Since most of the material being distributed will be coming from the space administrator, I thought I found a work around by creating a new "Security Communications" blog that aggregates into both communities.   Problem is, when I first posted in it, one of our members who is subscribed to email notifications in one of the communities didn't receive it.  I just did a test on two emails, each of which is subscribed to one but not the other of the two communities.  I received an email notification for one, but not the other.

SO, questions:

1) Is an email notification SUPPOSED to be triggered in each of the communities in which a blog is aggregated when something is posted to that blog?

2) What is Jive working on to address this problem?  I am sure other organizations have the same issue when material pops up that has to reach, for example, both marketing and IT, etc...

• Re: Cross Community Communication

It would be cool if a person could assemble an "overview" or "home" meta-page if you will, upon which they could add whatever content they want, from whatever community, and even from non-CS sources. Perhaps via feeds. It would exist outside the realm of any particular community (is this possible in current CS constructs?).

Then, that person could invite others to "watch" that custom-assembled page (or perhaps they can also add people's names as an option), which would result in the following:

• anyone can send email to the group of whoever is watching or added as a "member" of the custom page

• anyone with access to the page can read the aggregated content - if they want to contribute, they click on the content's title, which takes them to its original spot in its original community

• members with appropriate access can add more feeds to the meta-page

• the fact that someone is a member of the meta-page shows up somehow in their profile

• the meta-page is listed somehow on each member's personal home page

drgoochmobile wrote:

One of the biggest reasons we adopted Clearspace is because we wanted to breakdown the silos between the various silos on our organization's committees.  Clearspace has the tremendous potential to help us with this BUT right now this is posing a serious problem for us..

1) Is an email notification SUPPOSED to be triggered in each of the communities in which a blog is aggregated when something is posted to that blog?

The behavior you are seeing is intended (not a bug), but this is a great idea for improving the way email notifications work for a community.

2) What is Jive working on to address this problem?  I am sure other organizations have the same issue when material pops up that has to reach, for example, both marketing and IT, etc...

Right now in the product the major functionality intended to help this are the widgets on the community overview page. The feature doesn't completely solve the problem (clearly) but it has several elements similar to what Gia describes below.

Looking forward, there are several ideas being vetted about how to handle this type of problem. Magpie's post about Federating Clearspace is one direction, although focused more on instance-to-instance connections. Other ideas focus on giving readers more control over their attention stream while at the same time giving authors more control over targeting specific communities with notification about their content. Gia's ideas below are great, too.

> 1) Is an email notification SUPPOSED to be triggered in each of the communities in which a blog is aggregated when something is posted to that blog?

The behavior you are seeing is intended (not a bug), but this is a great idea for improving the way email notifications work for a community.

I don't really understand the response to this.  Member A only is subscribed to receive notifications in Community A.  Member B is only subscribed to receive notifications in Community B. 

I have a group blog that is a primary blog to no community.  It is aggregated into Community A and Community B.  Only Member B received a notification when an item was posted. 

I've been contemplating this issue for a while also.  I believe that the silo-breaker are these common high level cross-silo discussions. The trick is to not force users to double post if the same discussion is relevant in their silo.  Here were a couple of ideas we had:

1) The idea of a tag is that it can live in multiple areas so this should be a good way to cross pollinate content.  I had hoped to create a few high level tagsets and have those act as virtual spaces.  Then if i wanted a document to show up in the cross-silo security area you could just tag it with a tag that is picked up in the tagset and it would live in the silo-breaker virtual space.  The problem I've run into with this concept is that tagsets only filter on the particular spaces content (i.e. it does not recurse down into subspaces).   It would be good to have a virtual space based on tagset so that you could set alerts on such space.

2) Add an option like Add a Link that links documents to other spaces.  That way you could at least have a top level silo-breaker that could have links into common discussions.  The problem here is that it takes extra work and knowledge of the top level silo-breaker space.  It's not as effective because some silos don't want too much attention brought into their silos so they might not want to pull other groups into their silo although they would not mind discussing an issue up in the top-level space.

The problem with these suggestions for us is that they are all "pull" in

nature.  They systems where people regularly login in to check things

out.  Our system really relies on people being notified of new content

in order for them to check it out.  This should change over time, but it

is the way things are now.

>It would be good to have a virtual space based on tagset so that you could set alerts on such space.

The idea is that you would be able to register for notifications at these top virtual spaces. For example these would be regular nav spaces (maybe created by an option in the tagset ui):

"General Security" consists of items tagged with the general_security tagset

"General Software" consists of items tagged with the general_software tagset

You could set email alerts on the spaces or on the space that hosts these virtual spaces.

Same with the virtual link idea, it would still notify in both areas.