4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 2:30 PM by Ryan Rutan

Feature Idea: Community List Widget - Alternate View

Ryan Rutan

In the migration from Jive Forums to Clearspace, there seems to be no "traditional" forums view.  Forum boards are broken up in to Communities, and you use the Community drill-down to drill into the community, but that doesn't really show you a good discussion forum synopsis.

Would be nice if the Sub-Community Widget had an alternative view that showed a more traditional vantage of all communities and their discussions.  For example,  if you look at the forums for Sun you see a grouping of boards, with stats on number of posts, messages, and most recent acvity.

I think it would be nice to include this as a view for the Large section that will allow users to keep that comfort level when making a transition from something like Jive Forums to Clearspace(x)?

I would suspect that the Widget would render a list of Commities as Boards who have Discussions enabled, (possibly mouse-over showing descriptions on each one)  If the Community didn't have discussions enabled...then this would (in my opinion) not show up...

Any thoughts on this?  Am I missing a possibly easier solution for something like this...besides the obvious customizing of FTLs?

P.S.  Anyone made any requests for a "dont list this community feature" in a list feature.  I know you can set permissions to not allow View Space, but in the case I am thinking of...I would like to have a space that is publicly editable, but just not listed by the getCommunities methods.  I would suspect that this could get tricky with the APIs, but I can see some small use-cases where this could be valuable.

Thoughts?

P.S. Believe me..I'm almost through my list. =)

• Re: Feature Idea: Community List Widget - Alternate View

Great stuff Ryan, keep it coming. We were talking about this very topic on Tuesday of this week. We're planning to dive into how we want to address this Forums UI difference, and some of the ideas you mentioned about the list views and large widgets are top of mind at the moment. The example at Sun is a nice one, and a great implementation of Jive Forums.

Ryan Rutan

So follow-up question then.  In the nature of ClearspaceX, would you consider a Forum Category to be equivalent to a Community, and it's "Boards" to be sub-communities?  or is there is a way to specify a community...and have a categorization inside the community without the need for sub-communities?  Just wondering...the way I see it working OOTB would be that all communities/boards are Communities/Sub-Communities and as I discuss this more with other folks for future implementaitons...I want to make sure I'm talking about the right stuff. =)

Great question, and we have not decided yet. In some ways it makes a lot of sense to have a Community act as a category (that doesn't have discussions of its own, just rolls up discussions from sub-communities), with sub-categories asking as "forums" or "boards". In this way you mirror existing forum application behaviors. This is the direction we're leaning, but we would love to get your thoughts.

Ryan Rutan

Any chance we can get an update on this, wondering if there is a more details view we can give for the "Spaces" widget?  This is a general bump, but interested to know where the conversations lie, if this isn't associated to a feature request.  Please do so. =)