23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 7:43 AM by rclee@fdbhealth.com

Are You a Private External CM? Let's Connect!

nicole.g

Hello Fellow Jivers,

I manage a private external community launched on Jive 7 hosted in December 2013. This is my second implementation of a social community with my company - the first was with Lithium for 2 yrs. Going on our 3rd year with 7,000 users who are our business partners.

After meeting many Jivers, I realize how unique our community structure is - it houses training content/videos, reference material, official company news, posted questions get answered, and we encourage users to engage with a network of business partners across the country.

If your community is used in a similar fashion, let's connect. I am eager to learn from others and happy to share my experiences.

Thanks for stopping by! 

• Re: Are You a Private External CM? Let's Connect!
          deirdrewalsh

You may try to connect with Trisha Liu - she has run a community like this for ArcSight.

trishaliu

Deirdre, thanks for the @-mention. Nicole Gutierrez - Hello! Yes, the structure of ArcSight community was very similar and still is. ArcSight is part of HP now and is managed by rmkingsland.

One challenge we had was how to promote the community and piggyback off existing marketing campaigns, but without having any public-facing pages for prospects. I always envied the communities that had public-facing components and could link back to the community from prospect webinars, emails, etc. Do you have a similar challenge?

1 person found this helpful
                nicole.g

Thank you for the referrals, Deirdre Walsh, Victoria Hubertz and Trisha Liu!

Trisha - we have had great success with our business partners using the community primarily as a knowledge database. Our marketing campaigns route them to the community to find more information that we do not include in an email blast. Since I manage the community and I'm on the national marketing team, we are fortunate to have control in routing our clients there. I don't have an IT background yet have found management of Jive very user-friendly, even when it comes to designing and changing the layout.

My challenge is getting our users to interact more with each other via use of discussions and write useful blogs. They tend to gripe about procedures not realizing their negative posts are viewable to thousands of users and makes us look bad. Of course, we try to combat that by putting a positive spin on our responses. Anyone have a similar challenge?

An advantage with our community is getting a quick and accurate answer for company-related questions. Our business partners love this. It helps our internal staff be more efficient by not taking those calls/emails to the same questions being repeated.

victoria.hubertz

Laura McCullum is a community management extraordinaire! You might want to connect with her!

themaria

Hey Nicole, I'd love to connect. I manage a JiveX community for Sidecar. We just launched, but we are using it in all of the above ways also!

nicole.g

Welcome, themaria!

Looking forward to hearing about your Sidecar community!

Is this the first instance?

What has been your greatest hurdle?

themaria

Hey Nicole! Yes, this is our first instance - we use JiveX. Biggest hurdle to adoption thus far has been the mobile experience and complexity in the overall user experience (too many bells and whistles).  But to focus on the positive, i love that our drivers from across the country can meet each other and share tips and tricks. We're seeing best practices shared, drivers supporting one another, grassroots events springing up -- and us becoming better at listening and operationalizing feedback. And of course, streamlining communication. The community is our "one source of truth" to which everything else links. Wanna know ABC? Go to the community! Wanna know XYZ? Go to the community!

julieryan

Hi Nicole Gutierrez - I'd love to connect! I also manage a private external community. Our user base is quite small - about 400ish people. We're currently on Jive 6 - although we've been running Jive since late 2012, this is our first year really promoting its use with our clients.

Our biggest challenge is getting the engagement from our users -- we too are looking for clients to use Jive as a knowledge base and interact with each other. People are reluctant to make the switch to social platforms and still prefer to stick to the comfort of traditional tools (phone, emails). We've been pointing them to Jive -- but it feels a bit like an uphill battle.

I'm interested to hear more about what you and other CM are experiencing!

trishaliu

Hi Julie, great to meet you! You mentioned the members are sticking to phone and emails. Are they emailing each other, or are they emailing your coworkers? If it is your coworkers, can you enlist them to help drive the conversations to the community? Perhaps you're already doing something like this. Instead of answering client questions by email, they could:

• Post the question (anonymizing it as needed) and answer in the community
                            • Replying to the client email with something like, "Hi Libby, thanks for your question! You're not alone in wondering about this. I have posted some information about this in the community so that others can benefit. You can find it here (include the link). Please feel free to ask follow-on questions on the community thread."

If you've already been doing this, what's your impression of the experience so far?

Cheers!

Trisha

julieryan

Hi Trisha Liu, thanks for connecting!

Yes, the clients typically email us. We've used some of the techniques you mentioned, such as posting their question (anonymously) and answering using the Jive platform or we'll share content already existing in the community with the clients rather than responding via email.

They respond well to these types of answers or content "feeding" - but the behavior isn't sustained. I guess the hurdle is to get them in the habit of visiting the community first to look for the answer or pose a question - rather than picking up the phone or firing off an email.

As for interactions with each other, our clients have very little opportunities for those today -- which is one of the gap we're trying to fill with the community. But today if they need to contact one another, they still choose emails.

Have you or other CM found that generation or age plays a role in the adoption of this social tool? Our user average age is probably late 40's/ early 50's -- they are reluctant to change the way they've been doing things for the last 15+ years. Anyone else experienced that?

benikuhn

Hi julieryan

I'm community manager for GBG Brazil Google Business Group , let's go exchange expirience.

How do you do to engage your members?

julieryan

Hi Beni Kuhn - nice to connect with you .

We're trying a couple different engagement strategies .. first and foremost, we want our external users to perceive Jive as a useful business tool, where they can ask questions and get answers. We've made the switch from traditional (paper) newsletters to online news -- this does bring traffic to Jive. We also ran a photo caption contest earlier this year, and gave out prizes for the photo caption that generated the most "likes" - this was well received by the community and had new and typically more passive users engage in the conversation.

From an internal stand, we have great engagement -- our team engage with the community on a daily(or at least weekly) basis. We ran a contest during the World Cup to get people excited and get the buzz going in the internal community -- that went over really well also. In addition, we use the community for internal collaboration and training purposes.

Our biggest challenge is to keep the external users interested to come back to the community on a regular basis. I have a few ideas for fall campaigns that would drum up activity...

What's your experience like? How large is your community? What's its purpose and how do you engage your users?

cathyjliu

Hi everyone,

My name is Cathy.  I am Community Manager for Plantronics Sounding Board.  Sounding Board is a private external community with 14k members.  It is currently on Jive 6 platform.  Its members mainly come to the Sounding Board for product support related issues.  Therefore, I am dealing with a lot of lurkers who come to the community to ask their questions and leave after they learn the solutions.  Would love to hear some tips you have with dealing with lurkers in your community.

Thank you!

Cathy

mnevill

Cathy - We have a similar audience.  I think that is the nature of the beast with support communities.   In my opinion lurkers are going to be the majority for communities where content is meant to be consumed instead of interactive, and that is perfectly ok. However, you can get some folks to hang around if you can demonstrate value to them somehow in the short time while they are there.  Some things that I think are helpful are having regular contests, webinars, ask the expert sessions, etc that they learn about from your home page. Make sure these are easy to spot so they don't miss them.  We have had some success with a software notification service where users subscribe to spaces for their specific product and then they will be notified when we release new firmware.  Mixed in with this is just emails in general from the community to pull them back in (weekly digest, people commenting on their post, anything they had email alerts turned on for).  You can also send out email blasts from other external systems for anything you want to highlight in your community.  Some folks also seem to have success with connecting people through user groups, so that may be something to look at as well.  I hope some of this helps.

ronmecredy

Hi Nicole Gutierrez I have been managing a DoD Community since 2010 in Jive.  I see you have already connected with my favorite Jive friend Trisha Liu

nicole.g

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your contributions in helping to build our network and keep this post buzzing!

Just like all of you, my community is primarily made of lurkers - majority of actively engaged users are a small percentage. There are the occasional few who have only posted once, get what they need, and leave. We are all in the same boat with facing similar challenges. It takes a while to really gain traction.

In comes a glimmer of hope.

My company recently launched a new product and 2.5 yrs after our initial community launch, our community has been a tremendous resource for users seeking help! They've come to rely on their fellow community and admins for quick and visible answers! It has become such a robust knowledge base with all the Q&A and official company content that I had to build out a new subspace to isolate those inquiries. Now users can quickly find what they need in an organized place. Upper management is involved, too! They are starting to see the value and believe it will reduce call/email volume in the departments that support inquiries which are being routed to the community. That is the beauty! If you build it, they will come. Those lurkers will eventually jump on the bandwagon.

ronmecredy

Nicole Gutierrez I was asked early on how we should define success and my reply was - Success is when "core business" is accomplished in the platform.  Supporting a new product sounds like your tipping point into core business.  I have recently been trying to help the lurkers understand that they have a direct impact on seeing new content.  Feedback, in any form, causes the authors of content to be encouraged to continue - so if the lurkers want to see more - hit that Like or better yet - just simply say Thanks in the comments.  I stress this in all my training sessions at all levels.

nicole.g

Very well said! Anyone who is new to communities or posting really gets a kick out of the feedback, praise and responses to their posts. They especially like to see their points increase if gamification is enabled.

rclee@fdbhealth.com

Ron Mecredy, I really like the definition of success where "core business" is accomplished in the platform!

I brought Jive 6 to First Databank (FDB), a healthcare company, as a private external community about 2 years ago. We have about 500 members at this point. This thread about engagement is really interesting and helpful.

Does anyone have any experience around engaging customers on a community like this who are competitors? We want to have candid discussions, but I'm concerned that there hasn't been a lot because of potential competitive conflicts.