11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 3:15 PM by felipecastrodejong

What are the incentives for customers to get points and badges?

clairetaz

Hello external community managers

I would be interested in your thoughts on what are the incentives for your customers in getting points and badges (with the external community gamification). Are there different motivations for B2B than B2C customers? As I navigate communities, my motivation is mostly intrinsic (as a 'geek') to gain points, get recognition, reputation.. and to be recognized when I contact the supplier as one of their valued customers who participates in their community and tries to answer questions. I would hope to gain some kind of status for helping to deflect calls... and badges work for me. But... does this work for everyone, and are there different scenarios for B2B customers where the game changes?

• Re: What are the incentives for customers to get points and badges?
          deirdrewalsh

Ted Hopton is a master at gamification.  So is Ryan Rutan.  I'm bringing them into help answer your question.

Ryan Rutan

From my experience, badges are a lowest common denominator in terms of gamification.  When it comes to building "games" finding mutually beneficial tasks for both the host and the player are essential.  If you frame your games such that the player is adding real value to the community, then the regular community mechanics are in place to do the rest to bolster positive feedback.  Others will recognize their contributions and start recognizing them, following and engaging ... etc. ... that all feeds the ego of the player and makes them want to play more.

To be honest, if I look at community gamification priority, I look at Badges 1st (easier to understand comprehend and gauge current status) ... then Points/Rank ... and then Status Levels.  Understanding the value of a prize at the point of engagement is something that cant be understated.  With badges, it is very binary...I want the badge, dont have it...this is what I do to get it.  There are a collection of them...I want them all...etc... very straight forward... This is where coming up with unique badge names, designs and embedding the desired culture into the themes pays off exponentially! =)

If I just award points, there is an excessive amount of pre-work that needs to be done by both host/player to communicate/understand that the points being given away are a big deal.  Is 1000 points a good, great or super thing, i.e. are the points more like Dollars, Euros, Pesos?  I have to understand the system and that requires time, effort and in some cases commitment to want to dig in deeper ... commitment that you'd much rather have them digging into information about your products/services etc...

Since I've caught myself somewhat rambling without a purpose, I'll say this.  Gamification works, how well depends on how well you tie it to your community goals.  As long as your community goals tie back up to your business objectives, then you'll find natural resources and reinforcement to help in your efforts, IMO.

The biggest differences between B2C and B2B I can see is around the visibility.  B2C, I think a lot of social engagement and awareness in quantity (i.e. general messages that resonate with general audiences)  ... where-as I see B2B being more about awareness in quality  (i.e. succinct messages that resonate with specific audiences).  Taking that into affect, the types of games you would naturally set up in these 2 scenarios would have different deliverables/tasks for the players; however, the rest of the community + gaming elements should be virtually identical.

Hope some of those ramblings help =)

clairetaz

Excellent reply Ryan, thank you. I will share it with my community and take your great advice when setting up our first gamification for external community. I find the best way to learn what works is to experience it firsthand as well. Your 'app' at Jiveworld was a huge hit. Also, I have now joined the Verizon external community as a customer so I can experience how their gamification works. I have already learned a lot from my peer customers and have shared some positive experiences about my Verizon jetpack etc. I am 'going for badges' now... the next one being to log in for 10 days in a row for 200 points. This is a clever badge as it makes sure the user remembers and bookmarks their login/password for a start. I also really like the widget they have on the homepage with 'Individual Leaders' showing Top 10 and My Rank (I am 81st with 93 points and #1 has 28K). I think this gamification and the peer support community definitely builds customer loyalty.

ann154

Claire Tazzioli wrote:

Excellent reply Ryan, thank you. I will share it with my community and take your great advice when setting up our first gamification for external community. I find the best way to learn what works is to experience it firsthand as well. Your 'app' at Jiveworld was a huge hit. Also, I have now joined the Verizon external community as a customer so I can experience how their gamification works. I have already learned a lot from my peer customers and have shared some positive experiences about my Verizon jetpack etc. I am 'going for badges' now... the next one being to log in for 10 days in a row for 200 points. This is a clever badge as it makes sure the user remembers and bookmarks their login/password for a start. I also really like the widget they have on the homepage with 'Individual Leaders' showing Top 10 and My Rank (I am 81st with 93 points and #1 has 28K). I think this gamification and the peer support community definitely builds customer loyalty.

Over half of those 28K points were earned before the switch to Jive and more points earned before the Gamificaton module was added there.

cflanagan17

Ryan did a great job outlining a few things I'd start with first - what are the business objectives - and then use the rewards appropriately.

I will also mention Jive does offer "gamification" strategy sessions to help. I find in this area working with a professional can really help you figure out what the key goals are and then think through badges / points, etc to support driving those behaviors.

By the way, some customers do tie their gamification to a physical reward store. This can be really handy with external communities where you reward your champions, or top "correct answerers" with brand apparel, etc.

mnevill

Automatic badges are great, but I also wanted to point out that special manual ones can have a lot of meaning too.  We have a Featured Member, Past Featured Member, and Hall of Fame badges.  We awarded a rock star from our community in person with a Hall of Fame trophy at a corporate event, called him out on our home page, gave him the Hall of Fame badge, and promoted it over social media.  He was blown away and felt extremely honored.

tmaurer

I'd also recommend reading up on gamification, where you learn more about the concepts of intrinsic versus extrinsic motivation. It is really easy to make the wrong assumptions about what is important versus not. I was surprised at which of the assumptions I had were wrong. and which others were dead on. You could see if there is a Coursera course running any time soon on the topic, or go to GSummit in June (Neil deGrasse Tyson is the keynote!). Ted Hopton and I went last year and learned a ton!