4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 1:16 PM by tiffany.housley

HTML5 - Limitations for Mobile

rossc

I am hoping (praying?) that we're missing something...

The HTML5 version of Jive Cloud does not appear to have any functionality to upload images or files, nor can it even view images uploaded by others. Uploaded files produce authentication errors when attempting to view (though natively created documents seem to work ok). The mobile experience for our 60,000 or so Blackberry users is so shallow as to be virtually worthless as a result. Our iPhone users have a solution pending with the mobile app once we provision it for use through the Good Container, but they are also currently constrained by these issues.

Is there any documentation, user guides, or other support to help us understand what the HTML5 version offers? Clearly we have challenges due to our SSO and locked down network - but truly hoping for some help to have a viable mobile experience for Blackberry. (I know Blackberry is a 4 letter word - but it's not going away any time in the foreseeable future).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt Tucker  Doug Richey  Mike Klug  martinturner

• Re: HTML5 - Limitations for Mobile

Ross Cavanaugh,

I have started an internal discussion with the Mobile team and Mike Klug on this, one of us will get back to you shortly.

Mike Klug

Ross,

Sounds like there's a few issues . I know Tiffany is already in discussions with our Mobile team. Tiffany, can you make sure to outline the issues, as well as the documentation, and let's beat these down til their fully addressed? I'm in sessions all morning, and then free in the pm - let me know the status of things by then and I'll jumo in to help/escalate where I can.

matt

The premier experience today is definitely via the native applications. Our iOS version continues to iterate and a brand-new native app for Android is coming soon.

As you note, the HTML5 version does not have the ability to upload files or pictures. However, downloading files to view should work fine. You can try it on this community to see it working. If you're running into auth errors, that's something we'll want to work with you via the support team (though it sounds like it may be related to your SSO system as you note?).

We've definitely gotten consistent feedback that everyone would like a richer HTML experience to compliment the native mobile apps. Rather than continuing to build out a separate HTML5 app, we're making the core Jive web application "responsive" (basically, it will automatically adjust it's UX to work on different screen sizes, including mobile). This will provide a vastly richer set of functionality. It's under active development, so no imminent release date yet, but it will be in a future cloud update. 

1 person found this helpful

Ross Cavanaugh,

Thanks for talking with me and providing further information regarding the need for the best end user experience with HTML5 use of the Jive Platform.  As discussed, here is the list of items you expressed on top priority in order:

1. View Uploaded Images.  Eventually you would like the ability to also upload a video in HTML 5 as well.
                  2. Upload images.
                  3. View uploaded files, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc uploaded docs.

I quickly did test of each of these and I am only having the issue with the upload of images as that is not an option with any create activities.  I will reach out to the mobile team to see if there are plans to get this added in the future and let you know.  View of images was successful and I was able to view uploaded files as Matt indicated above because the file is download prior to being visible.  Would end users be able to download files to their Blackberry devices? 

Below are some screenshots of my experience using the Chrome Extension set to a Blackberry 10 user agent string.

View of uploaded Image:

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 1.06.09 PM.png

View of uploaded File:

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 1.06.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 1.07.31 PM.png

I am nervous that the experience you may be having with images and uploaded files is due to the launching the Good Browser, are you able to test with the Jive Community on a personal device without Good to see if the same issues occur? 

Also, the following Jive Mobile Product Comparison Matrix may be beneficial if you haven't already seen it.

1 person found this helpful