9 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 1:50 PM by Kate Bellard

How/when to start showing the ROI vs stating the advantages of community collaboration?

Kate Bellard

When someone asks why they should use our internal community or refer to it as our company Facebook, I immediately give my community elevator speech which sounds something like, "it can improve productivity by allowing employees to form groups to work on projects, find experts in the company, share ideas and best practices, and get information quickly and easily....a searchable, easy-to-use community makes it easier and faster to find the right knowledge and expertise, creates a sense of community amongst employees and connects us globally...oh! and did I mention a reduced email load and fewer meetings?"

That sounds great, but how and when do you start actually showing the ROI? This is what management is really interested in. I've collected specific use cases, best practices, and success stories, but as we enter into year 2 of having an internal community, I wonder how do you collect and analyze data to show a decrease in email load and meetings and an increase in productivity, collaboration, and innovation? Do you continue to focus on specific use cases or do you collect this for the community as a whole?

I want to be as proactive as I can about this, so I'm curious to know how you are handling this and measuring success; specifically gathering metrics on email usuage and productivity, collaboration, and innovation.