6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 10:07 AM by vpezeshkian@ivtweb.com

Correct Callback URL

vpezeshkian@ivtweb.com

Hello all,

My Jive app has iFrame pointing to different origin(obviously). from there I'd like to send data back to my Jive app either by query param or path param.

What would be the correct callback URL? my point is to have correct callback to my app for further using the params.

Thanks.

• Re: Correct Callback URL
          vpezeshkian@ivtweb.com

Forgot to mention that I'm using iFrame's location.href which gives me the following error:

{"error":{"message":"Cannot render an application without installing it first","code":403},"status":403}

Ryan Rutan

If you are talking about iFrame inside the Jive app (which is already an iFrame) you will need to manually manage information context back and forth to your 3rd-level iframe. 

I would strongly recommend instead of using iFrames to render content inside the current App iframe ... .and access the native parent and all it's goodness in that regard. 

Hope that helps.

vpezeshkian@ivtweb.com

Yes our ultimate goal is to get rid of the iFrame and have things rendered in Jive app context.

Thanks.

vpezeshkian@ivtweb.com

Dear RR,

Thanks for all your feedback. Allow me to ask one more question based on your answer:

Why do you strongly recommend not Using iFrames? From development prospective and also User Experience point of view what are the advantages of native app iframe (not having another iframe)? how about long term maintenance?

Many Thanks

Ryan Rutan

When you do iFrames inside IFrames (which the App Framework is already using an iFrame) javascript contexts back to the parent become cumbersome. If you can render your interface natively to the current iFrame then you'll have better access to the native container...and tends to lead to more functionality at your finger tips. 

In general, it is easy to iframe something into a site, but we've also found that the best experiences and addons are those that care about the user-experience for the end-user, and this usually (granted not always) is achieved by creating the experience in Jive from data/services ...rather than just rendering an existing interface design for a different system.

Those are my main two points I would strongly consider, but if you can mitigate those points, then technically there is no reason you cant.

1 person found this helpful