3 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2014 7:05 AM by daniel.marotta

Is Translation of Content a Requirement for Online Community Success at a Regional Level?

jjlovett

Hello All -

I understand there are a couple of factors that I will be glossing over with this question (such as focus of community, specific geography or cultural concerns, etc.) but here we go.

Is it a requirement to have localization and/or machine based translation to be successful from a regional perspective in a global online community?

I am hoping you have some opinions on this topic. Additionally, if you have any research or material to share from either an academic or industry based perspective that would be very helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

• Re: Is Translation of Content a Requirement for Online Community Success at a Regional Level?
          daniel.marotta

Hi J. J.,

A requirement, no. For future growth, yes.

Another factor is community life-cycle. If you're just planning or are still in the infancy stage, start small. I'm not sure how many regions your company conducts their business, but I don't recommend opening the flood gates and launching in all geographies. That seems like a lot of overhead and management oversight for just starting out.

At a previous employer, we targeted customers in North America and supported two products lines where we knew would have the largest impact. As the community gained momentum, we're learned that our customers were ok with engaging with us in English only but definitely saw the need to support additional products lines. Almost 5 years later, the community supports all product families and continues to conduct itself as English only.

If you're managing a mature community, use your analytics to understand where your customers are coming from and build a regional roll out based on need.  

-Dan