8 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 7:32 AM by mnevill

content specific anonymous feedback tools

mnevill

Caton Guilbault's comment in this thread triggered a thought.  I think often people don't give feedback because it is inconvenient, and especially when it is tied to a log in and/or registration.  Is there a downside to having a simple one click "This helped me" on each piece of content?  You can see an example of this here. Are there any free tools that can be embedded and keep track of how many times it is clicked per document (URL)?  If it were anonymous does that pose any risk to being able to trust the numbers?  I personally would like to see something in Jive out of the box that does this.  I know you can get a small pulse on your best content from comment, likes, bookmarks, and rates, but that does not take into account the users who are just there to consume open content and don't want to log in.  All you really have to go off of is views there.  I wanted this thread to weigh the pros and cons. If it looks like this would be useful I will make an idea for it.

• Re: content specific anonymous feedback tools
          daniel.marotta

Hi Matt,

I think this is a great idea for support communities. You're right, for anonymous users, pageviews is used as a surrogate to measure usefulness of the content, and really the only way of measurement. A more explicit mechanism is needed to capture usefulness/helpfulness of content for anonymous users.

Cons? I wouldn't label this as a con, but all activities in Jive, for the most part, promote positive feedback and behaviors. With an introduction of "No, this was not helpful," you would be introducing a negative element, possibly allowing a piece of content to be down-voted into oblivion, therefore no longer trusted and no way for it to recover.

I'm interested to hear opinion of others in the group

-Dan      

Matt / Daniel - Excellent suggestions.  In Jive 7 we launched structured outcomes targeted at community manager style interaction (final, outdated, etc) and I believe a type of structured outcome for guests would be very similar to what you guys are suggesting.

Thoughts on 'this is not helpful' could be rephrased to collect stats on answers: "This answer solved my problem / this answer did not solve my problem"

mnevill

Curtis - Can you explain the structured outcome solution you were thinking of some more?  We actually ended up disabling structured outcomes on our external community as it didn't fit our use case and was going to be confusing for our users (final, action, decision, etc) so that may not be an option for us. It would be great to tie this into analytics or CMR somehow so it is easily reportable. I think it may also be useful for users to see how many marked it helpful or unhelpful too if you could give admins the choice to expose the running total.  For example as a guest user I find a document, and then I can see it helped 100 other people, so 1) I would be more inclined to give the instructions in the document a try and 2) I would be more likely to also give my feedback.  It would be great to be able to turn this feature on/off depending on place and content type, like only documents and discussions in space xyz.

Thanks,
                Matt

RyanSe

I agree with this a lot a lot

I had to hack a solution together (the one Caton posted up) but I would be very much in favor of having something that would scale to an environment where there is a high "guest" population.

Even within an internal employee environment likes and ratings can be problematic for us. Likes you can only like something once so it's hard to measure the individual's usage/satisfaction over time. Ratings are problematic because folks have to subjectively select something in the range and don't realize they can re-rate over time...and even that is problematic since you need to come up with more complex math to measure the movement of those subjective ratings over time.

Having a This answers/didn't answer type of option that can be turned on for "support" type environments would be really beneficial to us since we are working on tying back our Jive usage to activities while a employee is interacting with a customer on a call. It would be a fantastic trigger for us to use.

Structured outcomes in JiveX :

1. First, make sure that structured outcomes are only turned on for a group of users that you want able to use them.  Leverage permission groups as well as the 'home page permission' for structured outcomes to achieve this.
                      2. Note that outcomes only work on content that user has access to edit.  So even with the permission to mark outcomes, if I can not edit the doc, I can not mark it as final.

So with these assumptions you can create a permission group 'knowledge expert' and give them access to edit docs within a space, and hand them structured outcomes.

That work?

In the future I want to break it down further and even have some 'guest' actions.

mnevill

I forgot to reply on this thread.  Here are some suggestions I had from another thread. 

Structured Outcome elements still display in things like the search filters and /content/ filters which makes them confusing to users that don't have permissions to them or know/understand what they are for.

I think having options for these feedback options would be useful:

• I had this question too
                          • This solved my issue
                          • This helped
                          • This was not helpful

Have an on/off switch for:

• Each type of feedback listed above in case I want to use a particular one or two out of the available options.
                          • Showing of how many people clicked each feedback option.  That way a guest user could see a particular document or thread helped 100 other people.
                          • Enabling these by place and content type. 
                          • Enabling for individual comments or replies to content or just one for the entire thread/document.
                      karenp

Thanks for raising this, in fact we've been thinking about how to address this in the past week.  We need the "This fixed my problem/ this didn't help" anonymous vote because we have an external technical community which is mainly browsed anonymously.

Karen