9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 12:59 PM by AmandaS

"Publication Notes"?

AmandaS

This request has come from a number of our users.  They would love the ability to add a "publication note" when they make edits to a document. 

This note would then be included in the email notifications about the document change and also be viewable in the revision history of the document.  People want to see or note why certain changes were made (so they want the note tied to a specific revision, unllike Comments) and they also want some more useful information in the email notifications about changes.  Right now people are a bit frustrated getting emails that a change has been made but not context for or information about the change.

• Re: "Publication Notes"?

This idea is great, and would be very helpful. We have been imagining something exactly like what you described, and may try to add some kind of automated contextual information about the changes as well. Something similar to the visual difference between document versions that you can see now in Clearspace and Clearspace Community.

Cool. As one who authors and edits documents, I'd also want the option to blurb about my recent edits. Like, "Uploaded non-corrupt version of document, sorry about that last one!".. or "Changed 'behaviour' to 'behavior'". Makes extra sense when thinking about uploaded files.

AmandaS

Hi - I wanted to note that this is now on our roadmap to build ourselves as our users really want it.  If this is on a Jive roadmap it would be great to know so that we don't create a conflict in the future.

Thanks,

Amanda

I echo this request, for all content types.  I'd also like to be able to turn email notifications off on a case by case basis for edits of ALL content types since some changes are so minor that I don't want users to receive a notification (ie behavior to behaviour).

Not to pile on, but I agree, would be a really nice feature and mirrors the commit process we have as software developers: you make a change to a file and when you commit to Subversion, you specify the file you want to commit and a message that describes your change.

As far as all content types (and I'm just throwing this out there) but blog posts... they're not really something that you continually update (IMHO), same with messages, I feel like this is a document specific feature.

Cheers,

AJ

AmandaS

Hey - lots of posts from me tonight as I'm checking up on things...  On this thread I wanted to note that it'd be really great/useful to know if discussions like this ever make it into a feature request being tracked by product management on Jive's end.  I have this as a user story for my own team so I check back here to see if anything is going on but it's really hard to assess if I need to be planning for us to build something because it's just not making Jive's roadmap, or if it's actually right around the corner.  I realize you need to be careful not to promise anything but even just knowing it's made it passed being just a discussion thread would be great!

Thanks.