5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 5:23 AM by Sandra Brueckner

Community Manager

benikuhn

What are the diferences between Internal Community Manager and External Community Manager?

• Re: Community Manager
          Sandra Brueckner

In my opinion the most significant difference are the users. In an internal environment I as the CM have to deal with colleagues, the company culture, the management and so on. Therefore I need special change techniques to get the people motivated and into the platform. The use cases have therefore more business relevance (communication, knowledge management).

In an external environment I'm more like a marketing and motivation expert. How can I attract people which I don't know (in my internal environment I know the people who are in my company)? And how can I motivate them to collaborate and communicate with other people regarding my product. This is totally a different focus which lies more in creating brand loyalty than in succeeding business goals.

1 person found this helpful
              RichardRashty

Sandra, I agree with what you have said, although without trying to mince words, creating "brand” loyalty is what transpires with internal communities too.  Creating and cultivating robust and valuable (for each person & overall Organizational) internal communities can also stimulate employees to have positive experiences working for the company.  This in turn can stimulate employees to be brand advocates for talent recruitment as well as any engagement with consumers, customers, and the general public.  As the brand equity increases, it goes to build positive business outcomes.  So while the tactics are different for internal and external, the overall strategies for both community types should be (IMHO) to build positive business outcomes .

-Cheers

1 person found this helpful
                  Sandra Brueckner

Dear Richard, you are right. Creating brand loyalty could be an internal objective, as well.  Probably I  expressed it in a wrong way. My statement is that as an internal community manager I have to do and create other measures to keep and hold my colleagues in the platform then I have to do it with external users (not always but most of the time). And also the use cases I will implement are a little bit different because of my differential target group (there are exception as well) . But you are absolutely right: Both should focus on business goals. Otherwise it would not make sense to implement an external or an internal community.

benikuhn

Sandra

Thanks for you knowledge share.

Which are the techniques do you use for engage your internal users.?

Cheers