11 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 8:16 AM by rich.blank

When to use Jive vs Email, vs Wiki vs etc.....

tim.marsh@pinnacol.com

I'm trying to create a document that helps internal staff that have never been introduced to Jive on when to use it vs email vs wiki vs IM etc.. Has this been created already by anyone or are there any ideas that may contribute to this type of document? I simply want to make sure they do not think by adding Jive we are adding more work for them to check.

Thanks for any help here.

• Re: When to use Jive vs Email, vs Wiki vs etc.....

I'm sure Ted Hopton and Tracy Maurer have some thoughts on this. Trisha Liu probably does too

tim.marsh@pinnacol.com

Thanks Max Calderon for name dropping with helpful resources on this subject. I'm looking forward to hearing from Ted, Tracy and Trisha on this.

couryj

This is a great question! I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say too :]

Oh there are a ton of other The specified item was not found. too - these are just a few that immediately came to mind.

jostapiuk

Hi Tim -

Here's something you can consider, and is what we're coaching our customers and internal users to consider when someone asks "what tool to use?". If the sender pauses to think about the nature of the communication and its intended audience, they should be able to easily determine the appropriate tool:

• Team communication - use JIVE to send shared content, updates or start conversations within the team.  Avoid using email, or leverage the Incoming email service to forward an email thread into JIVE content to continue the conversation in the appropriate forum. In this manner, JIVE use displaces what many of us have used email for in the last 10 years or so...
                      • Private message / small audience - still consider using JIVE if the content is appropriate for sharing, otherwise send a Real Time Chat ("message") using JIVE to the recipient, or default to standard email.
                        • Email remains the default tool used with external audiences, especially if the organization hasn't adopted an external facing collaboration platform (such as JIVEx, etc.)
                      • Organically linked content (knowledge) - use a Wiki, which allows the community to contribute and add dynamically linked content (not like you'd see in a Discussion thread, or a standard page / document format).  I've read other posts about how JIVE and other social platforms allow organic growth and addition of content, but from my experience I don't believe JIVE offers a true Wiki experience.  I could be wrong here, but that use case would require a distinct tool in my mind.

So, JIVE isn't just another tool added to the pile, but displaces a large portion of communication sent within an organization. There are exceptions to this, but as a general rule I believe a lot of communication sent internally is meant to be shared.

tmaurer

My thoughts on this:

1. Email
                      1. Works when you want to make sure someone gets your message. Like it or not, most people still "live" in email, and using email to deliver a message allows you to ensure that it reaches the audience.
                      2. Works if you need to deliver a message using a distribution list and feel the need to ensure delivery (not necessarily that it was read).
                    2. Wiki - Personal opinion based on my own interactions with wikis are that they are best for a technical audience. If you have an IT team that like using them, let them continue using it for their existing workflow.
                    3. Jive
                      1. Delivery of messages to a large audience that doesn't share a single email platform or where a distribution list doesn't exist and can't easily be created.
                      2. Any time you want to solicit or encourage feedback, whether that be to a "memo", announcement or otherwise. For example, if the CEO sends out an email announcement about something, people are reluctant to respond. It feels like one-way communication. If the CEO instead creates a blog post as an announcement, people feel empowered to response, ask questions, etc.
                      3. Conversations. People will often use email in place of a phone conversation or meeting. Jive works much better because you don't have the experience of accidentally dropping part of the audience, having the thread get fragmented, having the email get "lost" because it was moved to a folder. And if the conversation is "open" in Jive, other people can find and comment, and important perspectives can get added that would never have surfaced in email due to the closed nature of it.
                      4. Collaboration on content by non-technical employees. Examples are for product management, RFPs and other content that required input from a number of sources. Using Jive for Office, people can simultaneously edit documents and thus move toward the final version with more speed and ease than using email (where often you end up needing to manually merge multiple versions of a file). Technical folks often prefer wiki format.
                      5. Reference material. Examples here are benefits information, product documents, help information, etc.
                      6. Facilitating a help desk - JiveX has functionality to accommodate this for external communities. Even as an internal community, the functionality works well and only improves with newer versions of the platform. We use it this way for support questions raised about the Jive platform itself. One of the benefits is that for employees who are willing to search, it can create a great self-help database.
                      tim.marsh@pinnacol.com

Thank you jostapiuk and Tracy Maurer for sharing your knowledge with all of us on this topic. This is exactly what I was looking for! I hope as time goes on and learn more about Jive and this community I can return the favor.

Cheers.

RichardRashty

Great points Tracy Maurer

I would only add if the social platform is for internal persons only, and all those persons have access to the social platform, then many tasks and many scenarios, short of personal HR-related communications, can be done using social platform, albeit with lots of explaining why you are shifting you communication/collaboration channels.

Tracy's point on most people living in email, hence trying to build specific scenarios can be challenging, is spot on.  You could setup your email client to auto-reply to incoming emails that in order to best reach you, please go to the Social Platform, login, and etc....could be a good start. You could even include your mobile number in the auto reply in case you want them to call you for more explanation.   I have tried this myself, and it is not easy, but if you are persistent, and handle it in a pleasant manner, you can def turn some corporate heads in a good way...Some heads...others will not be as understanding.

1. Email 1 person or use Social Platform. (w/o knowing if they have setup notifications), but if i don't get a response after a couple of hours, I would call them and tell them your plan to use social platform over email,  don't expect an email from me in the future, but go to the social platform for my correspondence.

2. Email 2 to 5 persons (team or Knowledge Sharing)...best to use social platform, but could also use email with BCC(so there is no reply to all possible).   This really should be shared using Social Platform, yet understand you might need to email those who are less inclined to change how they consume and share information to let them know this is where you're going to be sharing information from now on.  (if they ignore you, was it really worth sharing with them from the beginning?)

3. Email over 5 persons (team or Knowledge Sharing)....always use the social platform...IMHO

4. Project Team Collaboration (any # persons)..I always use the social platform, and even if I have to help a team member figure out how to do it right.  For some project management platforms like MS Project Server, time tracking is integrated with Outlook, so you still might need to use email client, but for all other team efforts, I would use Social Platform.

5. For communicating with mass amounts of a specific segment of persons like in a corp comms example, I would look to post the content on a part of the social platform that is accessible by all authenticated social platform users, then email the link (BCC) to a distribution list.  Of course if your social platform is your Intranet, then there are a whole bunch of other things you can do to pry folks out of their inboxes.... 

I know you asked about when to use what channel, and I have sort of shifted to seeing how you can move more email-centric communications to the social platform, but email is so crappy for sharing beyond the original recipients and for advancing ideas, that you might as well push folks into using your social platform as much as they can tolerate.

rich.blank

Like the approach of thinking about how many people you're communicating with.   I tend to follow the same approach.  Every time I start to email 2 or 3 people, I stop myself and think, "should this information live in Jive?"  Should this information be centrally captured in the account or team group so others who aren't listed in the email TO / CC can see it?    Reality is that the majority of the time (for me like 99%of time), the message belongs in Jive to provide context, make it more easily sharable as knowledge, provide recognition/thanks more publicly to people, or provide history of communication around the project/deal/etc.   If it's one to one or private, I tend to text or call anyway.  I try and use email only for external messaging to customers.