5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 4:28 PM by afajnor

Is it possible to follow all discussion postings visible to 'everyone'?

afajnor

Hi again,

I need to find a way to keep track of discussions that users post to everyone in our community.

Breadcrumb: All Users >> user_name > Discussions

Is there any way to do this--either follow these postings in a stream or get email notifications when someone posts to 'everyone'?

We have tried suppressing this option, but another unit needs it available so we cannot hide 'post to everyone' in the UI. When users post to everyone, the only place their posting appear is in our global recent activity widget on our home page. It is very inefficient to page through recent activities each day to look for and move these postings to appropriate places within our community.

I noticed another post in this forum with good information on posting options from Carrie Gilbert. Carrie, can you give us all pointers for how we can monitor and manage postings to everyone?

Thank you,

Ana

• Re: Is it possible to follow all discussion postings visible to 'everyone'?
          Carrie Gilbert

Hi Ana, if you can help me better understand how you're currently using your site, that will assist in providing a more tailored response. In particular, I am curious about:

• how the other business unit is leveraging community-wide posts
          • what the broader concerns are re: users using that option (if it's just one of "mess" vs. people having trouble finding useful content, etc.)

Let me know if you'd prefer to hop on a quick phone call to discuss. Thanks!

-Carrie

afajnor

Thanks, Carrie, for your quick response. I actually figured out a much more efficient way to track posting to 'everyone' than I was using, and it's working for me so I'll document it here for any newbies like myself who have been struggling with this.

Clock Browse, then Content and click Discussions (or any other type of content you are tracking).

Scroll down the list. If you see a posting with no defined space below the posting title, then you'll know it was posted to 'everyone'.

2014-05-26_13-22-35.jpg

You can click the posting title and move the posting to the appropriate place within your community.

Important: If you are moving the posting to a private group, ensure the original poster is a member of the group and post a replay in the thread before you move the posting indicating how to join the group for anyone following the posting or the community member. After the move, anyone not belonging to the group will get an 'accessed denied' message, which can be very confusing an frustrating to members.

Hope that helps anyone else who is dealing with this. If I misstated anything, please post a correction for all to see.

Thank you,

Ana

ann154

I couldn't find any way to follow the discussions created in the "whole" community and visible to all when the post itself ends up housed in the individual user's list of discussions. I tried an RSS feed over a year ago. It helped some, but it was maxed out to 100 items. In the community forum where I was using the RSS feeds, that count max could happen within 12 hours.

I found it easier to track discussions just a know which ones I read through the inbox. However it too can't track discussions created in the individual username and visible to the whole community. I also ran into the new count limit of the inbox with this method.

Thankfully this particular community has since turned off the ability to create discussions visible to the whole community and saved under the individual username of the poster.

I hope you can find a reasonable solution.

ann154

"We have tried suppressing this option, but another unit needs it available so we cannot hide 'post to everyone' in the UI."

Is there a reason this other unit needs the ability to post globally in your community? Are the posts announcements or other far reaching information? Perhaps a space could be created for those posts and housed in one place where the people in that unit can view them.

afajnor

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Now that I have caught up with the backlog of posts that were made available to 'anyone' during the past few months, I'm able to manage the daily increases fairly efficiently using the method I documented above. Note that I misspoke in my original post when I referred to the option as 'everyone.' The terminology used in the Jive UI is 'anyone.'

In answer to your question above regarding how the other business unit is using this feature, I'm not completely sure. I was just told they need it for posting documents and if we turn it off for discussions, then it goes off for document posts too. At least I think that's what my colleague said.

Also of note is that I think what they are using is the 'post to specific person(s)' option, which is somehow bundled with the 'anyone' option as I understand it. That's why we can't suppress posting to 'anyone.' I think we might be able to hide 'post to anyone' in discussions alone through customization, so that's a route we are investigating.

Once again, thanks for chiming in.