5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 1:09 AM by dlh

Space Metadata or Tags?

We have a large number of top level spaces and at times, it's difficult to wade through them all to find the right space. It would be great if there were a way to search for spaces based on some metadata around the space... Jive seems to have done a nice job with this for discussions/documents via the tagging system. How about something similar (tags or tag groups) for spaces themselves. This way, at the landing page a user could click a particular tag or tag group to see all of the spaces dealing with that type of content.

For exmaple, I might have several application development spaces (one for java, one for .net, one for WEB 2.0 technologies). In this case, maybe i'd have a tag or tag group containing 'development' and a user could click on this on the main page and filter the spaces with tagged with 'developnent'. I think something like this would enhance useability in an envrionment with many diverse spaces/ subject areas...

• Re: Space Metadata or Tags?
          AmandaS

We have the same issue.  What we've done so far is use extended properties on spaces to add "type" metadata to each space.  So far we have four main types of space that we create and our next step is to create filters so that users can filter the list of spaces to find what they want more easily.  One drawback of this approach is that extended properties are not indexed for search. 

Great idea! And nice customization work to add it in the short-term. We'll definitely take a look at adding tags to spaces and projects.

Is in meantime any solution visible available - we focus at the moment the same challenge, having very much spaces on the first level with no chance to cluster them but using tags or some meta-information. Furthermore I cannot understand why social groups are using tags for identifying topics, but spaces don't ... Wouldn't it be great to have a tagcloud displaying tags of social groups and spaces? I mean for us it's hard to explain users, if you don't find the right space for your topic do a second search within social groups ...

Hi Tobias, one idea is to use the hierarchical capabilities of Spaces to organize them into topical clusters. I cannot think of of another way to use Space meta information to cluster them in the current product without customization. I added your vote and comment to enhancement request CS-9476. This is an area we know we could improve on and are looking at addressing this in a future release. Thanks!

Using topics as cluster is of course a good idea, but in a company with about 120.000 employees where clearspace/SBS is used also for work within the departments it is a mixture between topics and departments - therefore it would be quite helpful to have both approaches - by topic/department and by tag ... But thanks for adding the vote - customization is not an issue for us!