7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 11:35 AM by ryanrutan

Space Permissions via REST API

msoltow

I'm attempting to use the REST API to obtain information about a Space's permissions.  It appears that I can use the  "applied entitlements" resource field on Space objects to do this.  However, I do have a few questions:

1. I haven't been able to find documentation for this field.  Does that mean that this is an experimental field and that the output format or the field itself is subject to change?
      2. Will this feature be documented in the future?
      3. Sometimes the output is blank.  It seems that this only occurs for Spaces whose permissions have never been altered since creation (which I believe means that they are guaranteed to inherit permissions from their parent Space).  Is this true?  Are there any other situations in which the output would be blank?  Are there any situations in which output would be returned, but not complete (i.e. are we supposed to assume that if there are any gaps in the entitlement list, we need to fill them using information from the parent Space)?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards,

Michael

Ryan Rutan

• Re: Space Permissions via REST API
          allenh

Hey Michael

I am looking for the similar feature from REST API. Have you had any chance to move forward with your research?

From my system, I could not even see 'applied entitlement' for a space object.

Was there any prerequisite for that?

Thanks

Allen

msoltow

Hi Allen,

Unfortunately, I have not yet heard from Jive on this issue.  However, I could have sworn that, not long after I posted this discussion, they had added Applied Entitlements to the API docs.  Unfortunately, after scanning the docs again this morning, I was unable to find that specific piece of documentation, so I'm unable to pass along a link (maybe they have since removed it?).

We've managed to successfully get the Applied Entitlements feature to work in our application.  It does make me nervous, though, not to have answers to questions #1 and #3.

As for your question, what version of Jive do you have?  We are currently on Jive Cloud.  In addition, the "appliedEntitlements" field can be found in the "resources" field of the Space object, rather than as a root-level field of the Space object.

Michael Soltow / Allen Han , a quick heads up.  I'm playing catch-up on community discussions since my OOO.  I made it through July 17th last week, and plan to close the gap today.  So for the delay, apologies.

Michael, I believe we discussed in another thread about the entitlements API, and that it is in BETA right now being evaluated by limited people.  I need to confirm the date when it will come out of beta; however, it is my understanding that any documentation on the API would be released at that time.

I'll grab the questions about and escalation them internally to see if we can get you some early answers.  As always, appreciate the patience. =)

allenh

Hey Michael

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

The systems I checked were on JIVE 3.4, and they were on-premise editions. Looks there was no 'appliedEntitlements' feature yet from those systems.

I guess it's still within BETA stage for now.

Ryan Rutan

Thanks again for your update.