9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 2:04 PM by it2000

Inviting Users

couryj

Is there a way to invite users to your community by sending out an invite THROUGH the community versus an email?

Our employees' login is through SSO, if that makes a difference...

• Re: Inviting Users

How would they receive notification? Understand the premise, but no idea if you can pull this off OOTB. John Schwiller LG . - what's your take?

couryj

They would receive the invite through their email, but it would come from the community, versus my personal email.

Or that is the hope, if it's possible.

couryj

I like the personal feel of me sending them an email, but I think it would be nice to reinforce the use of jive if the community manager used the community, rather than email, to communicate with them.

it2000

"I think it would be nice to reinforce the use of jive if the community manager used the community, rather than email, to communicate with them."

This is a good point but Jive is not email, so using Jive to trigger an email is usually a media switch from browser into email client (unless everyone uses webmail). What happens in Jive stays in Jive. Unless one does use the various email notification options.

(For documents there WAS a "send as email" option. It allowed to attach the document or the link to it and to use a custom subject and body. Now there's only the 'Share' option ... )

RichardRashty

As far as inviting new users, I would only add for specific communities of practice or experts (CoP/CoE), highly personalized invitations for new users to the overall platform/community should include directed communications (email, phone call, and optionally F2F meetings). 

ronmecredy

Joan Coury I was just looking at the Invite button on the front here of JC and wondering could I do that for my community.  Its not a widget at least in v6

it2000

Sending a direct message should trigger also an email notification. I have no idea about the defaults (is the whole message in the mail?) and I'm not sure that you like the look and feel of these emails.

Sending internal 'spam' mail with a false sender, from and reply-to addresses may be even more easy if you don't want to reveal your email address and create a custom l&f.

Anyhow colleagues may consider new Jive emails (from e.g. 'Community Manager' community@example.com) as spam and delete them without reading it. Sending a personal email with Jive images and links makes often much more sense. If login fails or other problems occur one can at least reply to the email.

1 person found this helpful