2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 7:23 AM by peteallen

Categories are Tags -- or at least ought to be

jonnygar

Strictly speaking, in Jive, categories aren't tags: they are 2 separate concepts.

But let's consider why they ought to be more aligned.

They are, of course, two taxonomy systems available to the content creator.

What I can do with a category is present a fixed set of classification tags to the content creator, with no risk of spelling ambiguities.

What I can't do with categories, is construct a widget which shows a shows the summary of items belonging to a fixed category.

I can only do that with tags.

(see Re: Does a 'Watch This Category' widget exist?)

Thus, I need to instruct my users to explicitly add a tag for what they've just set as a category, to get my Google News-styled overview page working.

So,

• Re: Categories are Tags -- or at least ought to be
          peteallen
          What I can do with a category is present a fixed set of classification tags to the content creator, with no risk of spelling ambiguities.

Per group or place, which is another important distinction, I think - tags go beyond any given space while categories are structured per space. I agree that they could be more aligned - and of course would like a category widget (I followed this thread from that one).

• Re: Categories are Tags -- or at least ought to be
            peteallen

The other thing you can do with tags but not categories is filter a search - though apparently you could ten years ago... this would also resolve the widget problem as you could save the content of the search for an RSS widget, but I'm guessing is part of the reason there's no widget for category in the first place? Categories at this point have become more or less useless for us.