6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 7:37 PM by saraysam@scg.co.th

Using JIVE during a crisis or disaster

saraysam@scg.co.th

Hi everyone,

I'm currently taking care of our company-wide internal community right now. the purpose of this community is to enhance internal collaboration and communication of our employees.

and from what I see, I think with JIVE capabilities it can be use as a platform for communication during an event of crisis as well

(i.e. information sharing, employee emergency contacts, alert/announcement to employee, crisis event mitigation plan and instruction)

I have already discuss with business continuity management team of my company and launched a test pilot group for information sharing and communication in case of crisis mostly for flooding crisis preparation and other operational incidents handling. However, I would like to know more about how you guys using JIVE during a crisis or to collaborate for crisis management plans and if you can share your community use cases that will be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Gack

• Re: Using JIVE during a crisis or disaster
          chconkl

Hi,

We used our Intranet to communicate during Hurricane Sandy in New York.  It was invaluable. People had access via their mobile devices and computers at home and we could exchange information about things like transportation, office closings, etc.  And our employees in other states and in Asia were kept up-to-date this way.  I made announcements to all employees via the Intranet from home. It's great for crisis comms in my opinion.

Shaun Slattery

Hi Sarayu Sampeenong, I'm a Jiver from Professional Services who consults with many of our customers. One use pattern I've seen around crisis management is to create a single point of communication for crises -- a Crisis Communications space (as a home page) with separate Projects for each crisis (because, unfortunately, there can be more than one at a time).

One customer I worked with had manufacturing facilities around the globe and weather or political unrest could affect their manufacturing, their distribution, and receipt of parts and materials from vendors. Because so many parts of the organization can be affected, whenever a crisis occurs, everyone knows to go to the Crisis Communications space. The current crises are each given their own Project (clearly pointed out on the Crisis Communications overview page) which includes a Blog for official news about the crisis (status updates, the organization's responses, and news from departmental leaders about emerging issues and how they're responding). Categories are used to organize news and discussions by department (so I can quickly find the latest discussions about Manufacturing, Distribution, Resourcing, etc.).

Thanks for asking the question, Sarayu. I'm keen to hear how others use Jive to manage and respond to other common types of crises -- service outages, PR responses, etc.

saraysam@scg.co.th

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your response. It is really helpful. We are currently using JIVE as a center for crisis communication too.We have an open group in our community where the BCM (Business Continuity Management) team use to communicate with our employees in which they use it to communicate with all employees in the community. Moreover, for the BCM committee and war room working team, they also have their own private groups to collaborate and communicate exclusively within their groups for crafting PR messages to communicate with our employees, fact finding and analysis, and doing their BCM things.

From the feedback I got, they said that JIVE is really useful for BCM purposes as a communication platform and collaboration platform within working team as well. It helps them to be able to communicate information quicker, and collaborate on planning or handling any situation or crisis better. But what they want right now is that they want JIVE to be able to act like instant messaging app ( like Whatsapp, or LINE) or SMS so their can alert employee about the crisis more effectively.

Thank you so much, Shaun.
                Gack

Kathryn

I've also seen companies that create secret places for a specific crises, and then if/when it happens, the permissions are changed to make it public and all the information and documents required become visible. 

ycheong

Years ago, the company I was working for spent a not insignificant amount of time and money putting together a business continuity plan which they then put on Sharepoint. I pleaded with them unsuccessfully to at least put a copy on our Jive instance, the latter being available to everyone and the former only to a handful of people who had the appropriate permissions.

Fast forward to Hurricane Sandy, when the office was closed for a week. In the event of an emergency, everyone always looks for the "easy button" and with the BCP not on Jive / inaccessible, most employees turned to the next easiest option: Facebook. I like Facebook as much as the next person, but it's no substitute for a business continuity plan!

saraysam@scg.co.th

Hi,

Thanks everyone so much for your answers. They are really great examples and ideas on how to use JIVE during crisis.

I will keep update on how my company use JIVE for crisis and how the pilot groups are doing.However, I think I will need a lot of suggestions from you guys in the future so please be patient about that. ( and my english as well)

Thank you,

Gack