16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 1:49 AM by tburak

Multiple social tools for an enterprise?

leeannbird

With all the social features enterprise tools have added, there's a debate about the value of employees using a single social platform vs. employees using the social features in all the other tools they use every day.  Especially, as some in our IT organization would suggest, because there is no clear "winner" in the social collaboration space and it wouldn't be prudent to choose just one at this time.  (This is information gathered from Gartner, I'm told.)

We're all using Jive for a reason here.  And I can't get my head wrapped around how a distributed model could offer success. There are so many key enterprise use cases that could not happen if employees did not use the same social collab platform.

Anyone else up against this within their companies?  What tactics are you using to educate and guide decision makers? And/or, what have you decided?

cc: Bay Area User Group

• Re: Multiple social tools for an enterprise?
          aharrison

I've thought about this and have hesitated on enabling Chatter for our Salesforce users.  I use several different collaboration tools in my personal life.  I have a profile on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Next Door.  I use each for different purposes and reach and or hear from different connections / friends / network / etc on each.  Does a collaboration "segmentation" also appear (and is okay) in the work place? 

Another business tool, Office 365, continues to integrate the Yammer purchase and social will become more "ingrained" in Microsoft products.  I'm considering allowing Chatter for a select number of Salesforce users who have a need to collaborate in that tool and space.  That group tends to stay in Salesforce and do their work there...

I'm interested in your thoughts on this too.

mack_torres

Since Chatter is already enabled,there maybe some creative ways to reel them back into Jive. One idea is Gamification. You can have Bunchball Gamification setup on both Salesforce and Jive using the the Jive Nitro instance as the single source of truth. The results from the Saleseforce instance would feedback into Jive so the Sales team would have to go to Jive to see their points and where they stand.

tmaurer

I believe the key is going to be in meeting people where they are, which is what Jive is trying to do with StreamOnce and other integrations. If you can allow sales people to do their work in SalesForce, and developers to do their work in JIRA, etc. but then to have the relevant conversations posted to Jive, and responses from Jive to be posted back to those places, it allows people to continue to work where they are most comfortable and where they have to be to do their "day job". And then you need to continue highlight those use cases that people will miss out on if they don't at least occasionally visit Jive.

erickoopmans

We are finding the overlap of tools somewhat of an issue here at Spectrum. Like you all are finding, each and every "enterprise app" is adding some sort of social component to the mix. You all may be finding LMS, CRM, and other system adding this jargon and functionality to their apps. But to what end? If your organization isn't buying into the idea that building tribal knowledge in your everyday work and working transparently in one "sanctioned" social platform you are asking for issues. It becomes a competing mess of what goes where in the end and no one knows what the right tool for the job actually is.  

Our solution was simple to say and hard to do: Perform an enterprise tool architecture assessment.

Guided by some of our architects ( who actually came up with the idea ) we are going through all of our internal capabilities from a user perspective and attaching apps to each capability. At the end of this long exercise we hope to answer the questions like; What is the enterprise tool for Spreadsheets (excel) What is the social collaboration tool ( Jive ) etc etc. all the way down to web chat, video conferencing including overlapping tech and future state models. Not easy, but worth it.

ChristopherHall

We ran into this issue when we were first evaluating Jive for use. There were pockets of employees using Yammer, business units using Chatter, IT  using our wiki and Jira, and Microsoft evangelists letting us that SharePoint already had "profiles" and "discussions." The debate didn't last long - a group of people far wiser than myself knew that if we allowed multiple social elements to exist, we'd put our entire mission at risk. Internally, our campaign has been to create "One IT". We needed our people talking and collaborating in one place in order for that mission to succeed, so we turned those disparate groups into an opportunity. Anyone using a social platform was invited to be a part of our initial pilot. Before we even purchased Jive, we allowed these folks to test to tool and be a part of the selection process. Once they bought in, the other systems were depreciated and we went forward with Jive and a healthy set of power users to pilot with.

Some benefits of a single social platform:

1. Consistent branding and communication for corporate communications teams
                  2. Everything in one place means I only have to search one place
                  3. Massive reduction in documentation and support efforts
                    1. Easier to teach one platform
                    2. Easier to support one platform (less help desk calls)
                  4. Feature expectations more manageable
                    1. Each employee is going to want to do the same thing in each place
                      1. What do you mean I can @mention in Jive and Jira, but not SP????
                  5. Less vendors to work with means fewer contracts and fewer dollars spent
                    leeannbird

Great feedback, all!

luisr

At NetApp we are facing a situation very similar to Eric's - too many technologies (> 12) in the intranet/collaboration space.  Simply put, we spend way too much money now on something that is very inefficient and causes great dissatisfaction.  Letting enterprise architecture look at the needed capabilities and then mapping technologies to those capabilities will likely yield a much better model, more integrated and less expensive.   We are in the midst of this effort now.   I think the key here is to be very honest and true to what you are trying to do.   It might make sense to have your sales team collaborate on Chatter (Salesfoce) but that would be optimizing for one part of the company and not for the whole.  It's a business decision that you need to make early in the process and stick with it.

Finally, I cannot emphasize more the need to communicate and educate across the company regarding these challenges.   EVERYONE has an opinion about the tool they like, how they work, etc.   Educating folks across the company as well as decision makers on the issues that this distributed, multi-technology model causes is paramount.   I went as far as funding a usability study that yielded the employee productivity drain in dollars.   Once I showed productivity being wasted and I put a dollar amount to it (the universal language of executives), I had no issues getting the sponsorship and support across the company to do the right thing.  I hope that helps..

Fbob81

Hi, would be happy to share as well based on experience.

Besides Jive, we have chatter - Confluence - Jira and at the top of it we migrated to Gmail and its collaborative Gapps.

Internal users are lost between Intranet - document management repository - collaboration within documents / collaboration around documents - discussions / conversations - knowledge base

They all dream of one unique tool but IT is more working on social layers connectors - social intranet

Managers only wish to decrease their number of emails even if all these tools just generate some many notifications.

our key drivers:

- Positionning

- Connectors

- Users' access simplification