6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 2:01 AM by mcollinge

How do you comply to the unsubscribe requirement?

Libby Taylor

Having come from an internal community before I managed the JC, I have no idea what the current practice is for managing the CAN-SPAM requirement that we provide email recipients with a way to unsubscribe. I need to figure out a best practice/recommendation for the Jive Community that we can enact for ourselves as well as tell all of our Jive customers about.

I'm hoping some of you already have an idea you are willing to share with me. Thanks!

• Re: How do you comply to the unsubscribe requirement?
          mnevill

This may not help short term, but I remember Ryan Rutan had a Plugin: Announcing the Unsubscribe Email Plugin.  Is there a chance this can get baked into the product to be officially supported? 

Libby Taylor

Thanks Matt. Yes, Ryan did make a plug in but we've removed it from the system. This topic is definitely getting the attention of people within Jive though, now that I'm working on it with our Legal contacts. I'm just curious if anyone else has a more manual work around.

My thought was that a line could be added to the bottom of any system email with an unsubscribe link to email "Unsubscribe" back to the system admin and then manually the email notifications are disabled for each person who requests it. Sounds like a pain, but it's the only way I could think of without putting the plug-in back in place. Argh.

sharakarasic

But how can the admin manually disable the email notifications? Is that currently possible with the Jive admin? Whatever happened with this discussion at Jive headquarters? Was it decided to focus in internal communities rather than the needs of external communities?

Libby Taylor

Hi Shara, the admin cannot disable the email notifications only the whole account for the user. Because this is a community platform, and not a web site working in conjunction with a marketing email system, the user has complete control over their own notification settings, therefore there is no "unsubscribe" for users. The user gets to decide for themselves (it's 100% within their control) to decide what notifications to receive or not. If a user no longer uses the community and would like their account disabled, and thereby also stop receiving email notifications, the admin can help with that. Admin console > People > User Search then click on the green button to Deactivate.

2 people found this helpful
                  sharakarasic

It is a basic need for an admin to be able to unsubscribe a user at user request - despite the supposed difference between "community" and "web site with a marketing email system" - I don't see a difference - I would also argue that Jive needs to offer the admin way more control over email and notifications. However Jive justifies not offering the ability for an admin to unsubscribe a user, it is a core and necessary feature in any online community or "website with an email system".