8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 11:20 AM by rmoulton

Can't Install - Unable to find jdbc driver class

I am attempting to install Clearspace X on our Redhat Enterprise Linux 4ES server. But, I can't get beyond the Database Settings stage of the install because I keep getting the following error:

Unable to find jdbc driver class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

I have already downloaded the MySQL Connector/J driver and installed that in the folder: /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/

This created a folder called "mysql-connector-java-5.1.6" within /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/, and in there is a file called "mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar" among many other files. When I re-attempted the Database Settings install, I keep getting the above error.

I tried moving the "mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar" file to the /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/ folder, but, it still doesn't work. I tried renaming the file to "mysql.jar", but, won't work. I also tried changing the JDBC Driver Class setting from "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" to "com.mysql.jdbc.mysql.jar", but, still won't work.

How do I make Clearspace work with MySQL on our server? I've tried most of the suggestions I found here, but, can't get this working. I'm not a Linux expert, but, I'm hoping the solution isn't too complicated.

Thanks!

• Re: Can't Install - Unable to find jdbc driver class

Have you tried just pulling mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar out of the created folder and dropping it directly into /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/? All you really need is that jar file to get the JDBC driver to work. I downloaded Tomcat 5.5.26 and ran through an installation of Clearspace X 1.10.6 by just dropping the connector/j jar into <tomcat>/common/lib and it recognized it correctly. This was on a Windows machine, but it should be the same for your box.

Let me know how it goes,

Vinh

Hi Vinh,

Unfortunately, I already tried that, but, it didn't help. I copied the .jar file into the tomcat/common/lib folder, and then returned to the Clearspace Install, but, I keep getting the same error no matter what...

Unable to find jdbc driver class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Should com.mysql.jdbc.Driver be changed to com.mysql.jdbc.mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar ?? I think I already tried that, but, no difference.

I just can't seem to get this software installed no matter what I try.

No, it is talking about the class, which exists within the jar (along with other classes). If you change it to com.mysql.jdbc.SomethingElse, it will look for that class in the libraries.

Have you looked at the documentation here?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connector-j-usagenotes-j2ee.html#connector-j-usagenotes-tomcat

Vinh

I have seen that page you linked to, but, not sure about a few things.

It says I can find the server.xml file in CATALINA_HOME/conf, but, I don't have a conf folder in there. I did find a server.xml file in /etc/tomcat5, however.

It also says to add a bunch of code there that starts with:

<Context ...>

Is that exactly how I'm supposed to enter it in the server.xml file, or should I be replacing the ... with something else? I searched for "<Context" in the server.xml file, but, there aren't any.

I've also tried copying the mysql connector jar file to a few other directories, such as /tomcat5/shared/lib and /tomcat5/webapps/clearspacex/WEB-INF/lib, but, Clearspace still won't install.

Okay, I FINALLY got past the database problem, but, the Other Settings section is now causing the following error when I click continue:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NullPointerException

com.jivesoftware.base.log.EventHandler.publish(EventHandler.java:45)

java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:452)

java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:474)

java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:497)

java.util.logging.Logger.warning(Logger.java:1000)

com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplication.initialize(JiveApplication.java:87)

com.jivesoftware.community.action.setup.OtherSettingsSetupAction.prepare(OtherSettingsSetupAction.java:149)

com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.PrepareInterceptor.before(PrepareInterceptor.java:106)

com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:30)

com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:190)

com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:31)

com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:190)

com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:31)

com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:186)

com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionProxy.execute(DefaultActionProxy.java:116)

com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.DispatcherUtils.serviceAction(DispatcherUtils.java:225)

com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher.doFilter(FilterDispatcher.java:202)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.JiveFilterDispatcher.doFilter(JiveFilterDispatcher.java:53)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.SetResponseCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetResponseCharacterEncodingFilter.java:69)

com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)

com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.JiveActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(JiveActionContextCleanUp.java:46)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.JiveDynamicResponseHeaderFilter.doFilter(JiveDynamicResponseHeaderFilter.java:70)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.JiveCompressionFilter.doFilter(JiveCompressionFilter.java:99)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.SetRequestCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetRequestCharacterEncodingFilter.java:76)

org.directwebremoting.servlet.DwrWebContextFilter.doFilter(DwrWebContextFilter.java:91)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.MaintenanceFilter.doFilter(MaintenanceFilter.java:81)

com.jivesoftware.community.upgrade.UpgradeFilter.doFilter(UpgradeFilter.java:50)

com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:77)

com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.ApplicationInitializedFilter.doFilter(ApplicationInitializedFilter.java:95)

com.jivesoftware.base.database.dao.DAOContextCleanUpFilter.doFilter(DAOContextCleanUpFilter.java:32)

Now what?? Looks like I'll never get this software setup and working.

rmoulton

I added CLASSPATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH to .bash_profile then copied mysql-connector-java-5.1.13-bin.jar to /usr/local/jive/tomcat/lib

That worked for me.