7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 9:20 AM by kgladstone

Group Overview Pages

kgladstone

We launched our community out of beta testing about a year ago.  After a few hiccups, we are now seeing what I would like to call "Commons 2.0".  Commons is our instance name.  We are starting to see collaboration between departments and groups of people.

What I am having a hard time conveying is the "you only post a document, event, etc. once" concept.  I hear "but I want to promote it on my page as well"  "people will only go to 1 page, so I have to put it on mine too".  I have explained that A.  people can search for the content, B.  Content can be linked to any place within the instance  C.  Group pages should be updated regularly  D.  You can place an announcement on your group directing folks to the information.

Any thoughts or ideas of how I can convey the message and get the lightbulb to turn on?

• Re: Group Overview Pages
          djalexander76

I'd also suggest using status updates to promote a blog, document, or other content type. 

kgladstone

We do have a recent content, upcoming events and Blog Post widgets on the Main overview page.  It isn't so much that the content can't be found as it is conveying the process of  "whoever owns the content posts the content" and then it is linked to other groups.  I have some folks hijacking other peoples content - LOL. 

Dennis Pearce

I sometimes ask questions from a user perspective rather than making statements, which makes them think about the implications of their actions.  Questions like:

• How can I tell who owns the document if multiple people post it?
              • What happens if one copy is updated but others aren't?
              • If I find multiple copies with the same title, how do I know they are the same without having to compare them?
              • If the original gets deleted, will the copies all get deleted too?
              • Does the original owner know you are replicating it?  Are they OK with that?
              • Is what you are doing with this content something you think we should encourage everyone to do with all content?

People often don't think about what their individual behavior would lead to if it scaled up to common behavior across the whole community.  Just trying to get them to think about the big picture rather than their immediate needs for an individual piece of content can often make the behavior change more "sticky" because there's a rationale behind it that they come to on their own as they think through the answers to the questions.

kgladstone

Thank you so much.  If you don't mind, I would like to use your questions in a blog I am going to write.  I think a blog will get the concept out to everyone without pointing a finger at one group or person.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Dennis Pearce

Sure, no problem.

I find that in general, asking questions in an open, non-accusing way a la Matlock or Columbo (dating myself here) is a really good way to get people to change.  If you come across as honestly trying to understand why they are behaving in the way that they think is better rather than the way you think is better, they have to justify it which makes them come to grips with its deficiencies.

It also cuts the other way.  Sometimes I will engage with a business area in order to change what they are doing without fully realizing their situation.  If I come in asking rather than telling, it saves me the embarrassment of 15 minutes into the conversation having to say "Oh, I didn't realize that's why you need to do what you're doing."

tmaurer

I LOVE this response, Dennis, and I'm going to have to try and do that more often!!

kgladstone

I think one of the biggest issues we are running into is that folks are having difficulty grasping that if you put a piece of content in a place, it does not have to appear on the overview of the group.  If they don't see it on the overview page then it doesn't exist.  Another concept that is tough to get across is the difference between where a document is housed or lives and a link to the document. I used this word story to try to get the idea across:

You go to the store and stop into your friends house to show her your new jacket.  When you leave her house you leave the jacket on the chair.  You no longer have the jacket but if you look through the window, you can see the jacket. 

Not the best because links do a lot more than that but it helped them to get the idea that you can still access or see the contents of the link even if it is physically in another group.  I also reminded them that if they click on a link, they can see where the document lives right over the piece of content.

I have found that the staff at our particular institution have a limited knowledge of technology and how all of "this stuff" works.  While challenging at times, I am just thrilled that they are making an effort to use the platform.