2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 5:17 AM by neilmussett

Portraits, portraits, portraits! As a community manager, there are a few things you should know...

neilmussett

Hi Everybody,

I have now taken over 40 Jive portraits, and even though I am not a particularly good photographer, I have managed to learn a few things. Portraits are really important (kind of like the keys to the car on social media), and as an Advocate, you should probably know a few things about how to take a good picture.

There are two resources that I have found to be VERY helpful:

1. 7 Posing Tips for Non-Models
      2. "It's all about the Jaw" video

The most Jive-relevant tips:

1. Turn the shoulders. This slims most everyone:
        benlucas_portrait_posing_7_shoulders.jpg
      2. Pull the ears/forehead forward. This gets rid of the double-chin that most people have when standing normally. The video has more details on this:
        benlucas_portrait_posing_2_chin.jpg
      3. Pose the hair (#1 is bad because the hair falls loosely on top of the shoulders. The rest are OK, but the author recommends #6 because it shows more of the face):

benlucas_portrait_posing_1_hair.jpg

How do you get people to post pictures? Take good pictures!!

I posted photo "open hours" last week (30 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the afternoon for four successive days). I got 30 takers!

• Re: Portraits, portraits, portraits! As a community manager, there are a few things you should know...
          joanncraig

Hi Neil,

Thank you for posting!   Tips I've been using for many years.  

We have been having Photo Booth Day at work to capture a large share of employees who do not have profile photos.  We have had some success by averaging 3-5 portraits per week.  Since time is always a challenge, I have made it my personal goal to get the best photos taken within the first ten frames or less.  I do this by helping people feel comfortable, establish trust with me and the camera.  After going through the tips that Hurley point out, It take a second to let the subject view the first frame.  This makes the experience real, gives them a sense of control. Ultimately, the photographer is always in control.  During our Photo Booth sessions, I also help my colleagues feel relaxed by briefly explaining what is going to happen, even a bit about the lighting. Connection is important for a successful photo session. Not only do people need to connect with the photographer but even more with the lens.  This also produces a wonderful result. 

At a photo sessions, I often hear, "I take an awful photo!"  At the end of a photo session, its rewarding to turn a skeptic into believer!

Again, thanks for posting those wonderful reminders!

Jo Craig

1 person found this helpful