8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 2:59 PM by scottwdennis

Scavenger Hunt

adikrysler

I am interested in doing a scavenger hunt on our online community.

This hunt will familiarize members with all that the community has to offer - from content to functionality.

Members will be asked to complete missions sending them to search blogs and discussions, read important information, talk to community members, get to know the team and more.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any tips, ideas, links to current/previous hunts happening online will be very very helpful!

Thank you!

• Re: Scavenger Hunt
          daniel.marotta

Hi adikrysler,

I ran two scavenger hunts in a community I use to manage a few years ago.

PTC Community: Community Scavenger Hunt

PTC Community: PlanetPTC Community Scavenger Hunt

I hope this helps you out with some ideas

-Dan

emily.garcia

Daniel Marotta,

What was the percent participation that you saw during both of these?

Is there anything you would change if you did it again?

Did these events help drive use of the community you managed?

Thanks in advance!

-Emily

daniel.marotta

Hi emily.garcia,

What was the percent participation that you saw during both of these?

I can't recall the participation rates as these were run 3-4 years ago. I do remember the 1st turnout was large enough and compelling enough for me to run a second round.

Is there anything you would change if you did it again?

I highly recommend leveraging a Gamification platform rather than running these manually. This was before the Nitro platform so it took a while for me to verify the community member actions.

Did these events help drive use of the community you managed?

Absolutely! Before I created the tasks, I analyzed functional usage, content volumes, and community cold spots. Tasks were then based on these areas that needed help with adoption and solidifying/emphasizing the community strategy.  .

lauramac

I love Daniel Marotta's Scavenger Hunts!

Remember if you assign the users tasks, that they are relevant information for your community.  It is awesome to have users learn how to do the functions of the community, but we also want the actions to be valuable to the community. For example, have them post their project notes, verses just liking a piece of content. If you ask them to comment, make sure it is relevant and not just a random comment. Make sure you are adding value, not just content.

emily.garcia

I recently ran a scavenger hunt in our internal community using Daniel Marotta's examples as a jumping off point. I designed 10 tasks to direct users around our community and show them how to use certain Jive functions that we would like for them to leverage in our communities. This hunt accompanied our switch to Jive 7.0, we wanted to get users as familiar with the new environment as quickly as possible. This was our first competition like this that we've run and had a 17% participation rate for the whole company. Not as high as we would have liked to seen, but not the worst turnout for the first attempt.

Scavenger Hunt Tasks:

1. Upload a personal avatar. Some image examples include your alma mater, favorite sports team, or an interesting hobby.
                  2. Subscribe to Austin News if you are in Austin, SailPoint News if you are remote or Pune News if you are based in Pune.
                  3. Find the answer to this question for a potential customer: "Question text here?" and bookmark the document where you found the answer.
                    Hint: Use the RFP database
                  4. Update your status with a picture of where you are working. This could be a picture on location, the view out your window, a group shot with your office mates or a customer, even poolside if you are working from home!
                  5. Find the latest Hot Jobs listing.*
                  6. Find an HR document that applies to you (your office location or travel).*
                  7. Find the Customer Support Policies document and identify a customer support philosophy.*
                  8. Comment on a Client Success Story and use the @mention in your comment. Examples of a comment:- A question about the story.- Answer to someone else's question.- Congratulations to someone involved with attaining the client's business.
                  9. **Send links from tasks marked with an asterisk in a Harbor message to the Community Manager
                  10. Add your name to the List of Scavenger Hunt Finishers WITHOUT SENDING NOTIFICATIONS. You can do this by checking the box above "Publish" marked Minor edit, don't send notifications or update streams.

Users that completed all 10 tasks were entered into a drawing for 12 Amazon gift cards worth $600. The cards ranged in value from $25 to $200. Employees worldwide were eligible to participate in this portion of the competition.

Bonus task: We ran a bonus competition for users at HQ for the prize of a reserved parking space for three months.

"Update your profile information by adding your chat handle or hobbies, and adding 5 skills under Skills & Expertise on your profile by clicking the "New skill" button. Create a document on something you are an expert on (product development, how to replace your building badge, etc.) and recruit people to like it. Whichever document receives the most likes will win the reserved parking space!"

The bonus task had a few competitors, which we expected due to the much larger amount of work required, and generated a lot of buzz around HQ. The winning entry ended up being a silly instructional video, something we encouraged because it gave users room for more creativity and drove employees who are not regular users of our site to check it out.

My findings:

• The timing of a promotion needs to be checked for maximum participation from all departments (International holidays caused a lack of participation in our India office, end of quarter rush caused some departments to believe they were too busy to participate, etc.)
                  • The “newness” of the scavenger hunt seemed to create a good amount of buzz, but most users decided not to participate by the end of the promotion. Reasons are varied but include: not enough incentive, limited time due to the end of the quarter approaching, the tasks were too challenging, or there were too many tasks. The users’ experiences also varied widely, but our main goal of “increasing knowledge of Harbor’s functions and navigation” seemed to have been met with all users that did participate.
                  • Engagement of managers could be leveraged early on to inspire more participation.
                  • Another scavenger hunt could be recommended with the caution that we do not try to over saturate the workplace by performing it too soon. Opinions should be collected regarding the frequency of this type of event.
                  • Executives participated at a low level in our hunt, and since we know how influential execs can be in Jive communities, I would suggest getting your execs on board to participate early on in order to drive others to participate as well.

1 person found this helpful