6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 11:58 AM by aperrotte

jive 7 soy update command (if any)

michael_yegorov

In jive 6 most templates were in *.ftl and changing them in theme was possible through simple file editing and saving. Now when soy came in global - I need to either reupload a theme or restarting jive to apply any changes, even minor ones. This is very inconvenient when editing theme localy.

In the same time, since it's possible to apply changes through theme.zip reuploading, I'm making a conclision that there is some internal java call that directs jive engine to update soy cache or something like that.

What I seek for is some way to call it at any time, even if it will be through plugin.

Can anyone help?

• Re: jive 7 soy update command (if any)

Themes force a reload of assets contained inside the theme, it doesn't regenerate everything in Jive.  Unfortunately there isnt away that I know of to invoke this behavior directly.  While i'm sure there is a way to technically do it...I know of no existing buttons or levers that are wired directly to this behavior.  SOY generation happens at startup by default.  You might be able to write some scripts to regen the Soy files on the native filesystem using the CLI soy tools; however, not sure how that would play in registering GUIDs etc.

Amber Orenstein Anthony Mack - Any tricks you guys have when working with SOY files in plugin vs. Themes?

Anthony Mack

I think you can save the individual template in the admin console and it should work.  Making changes to the local files and then saving them on your computer might not clear the cache but making your changes directly in the admin console should apply your changes..  I am not aware of any other methods at the moment.

1 person found this helpful
                  mcollinge

Yeah, we can alter the soy files that are in our theme via the admin console.. as soon as you hit save, the changes are pushed to all nodes in the cluster & you're all set. On our local PCs the devmode=true means that changes to the soy on disk will get re-compiled when you refresh the page in the browser.

maxime.duval@lacapitale.com

I confirm that when you alter a soy template via the admin console it immediately get reflected in Jive (in my case). But if I make a modification to a template that have already been customized (lets say I want to do a V2 of the file), then I dont see the modification in my instance. I keep seeing the V1 of the customized template.

The hack that I've found to continue working is to create "disposable" themes to test my templates modification, that I throw away after each modification (one modification, one theme...). This really is not a good way to work and I would love to know if there is a way to force an update of the templates in a theme so that we could immediately see the results of ours modifications.

aperrotte

I'm experiencing this with other associated files as well (the js.file referenced by the soy template more specifically). In 6 you could run the javascript to the footer template and that worked fine. Now even deleting the theme and re-uploading the theme isn't taking effect.

Speaking with a 3rd party Jive partner development team any uploads outside of the JCA tool (which takes a restart to implement) there's no  guarantee that that the nodes will all update.Which is increasingly time consuming to develop using the themes.

Sincerely,

Aaron J. Perrotte

aperrotte

From a solely JS update perspective I've resorted to hosting the file on a server with an SSL cert. This is far from an ideal solution, but it resolves the caching issues I get from hosting on Jive's server with the rest of the theme. Theme changes are then handled in the admin console and cached template files make me resort to restarting the server via JCA.

Sincerely,

Aaron J. Perrotte