31 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 6:26 PM by joshua.g.wright@comcast.net

How do you train 26,000 people to use Jive as a social intranet???

lindsay.forcino@ricoh-usa.com

Hello fellow Jivers,

Looking for some fresh ideas on Training and Engagement.  We are a large company of 26,000 people in the US.  We use Jive as our social Intranet.  While we finally launched mandatory training via our LMS for all employees (2+ years later) about a month ago, we are still struggling.  So what do you guys do????

Some things we have tried:

1.  Weekly WebEx interactive trainings on everything from Basics to Mobile to Jive for Office

2.  "Office Hours" (Call in to an open line, hear success stories from others, learn something new, ask questions)

3.  Fully stocked Help & Training Center: Documents, Discussions and Videos (30 Minute Basic Training Video to 2 minute videos on everything under the sun- uploading docs, starting a discussion, etc.)

4.  Providing Jive User Guides and Documentation for all Users via the Help & Training Center (and encouraging them to join the Jive Community)

5.  We have a Governance and Advocate Program and we provide the Advocate names, locations, and departments in a public list for all employees to see.  We are also working on building out each of our departments as a "self governing group" to help drive utilization and adoption through the functional departments

6.  Tip of the Week, posted on the home page

7.  30 minute segment (live with WebEx) for all new Sales Employees

8.  One off tranings via dial-in and WebEx or Join Me, when requested by individual teams

9.  1.5 Hour live training for all new Sales Managers.

10.  New:  Required LMS training for all employees, including assessment with required 80% to pass

11.  Company wide Scavenger Hunt with great prizes (93 people out of 26,000 competed ALL 10 challenges)

Short of a roadshow for 26,000 people (which with our very small team is just not feasible), please- tell me what we are missing!

• Re: How do you train 26,000 people to use Jive as a social intranet???
          mnevill

I'm more of an outsider on this, but figured I would throw my advice out there in case it helps. 

If there is a way to tie this into existing business processes that will automatically help drive adoption.  It has to help users get work done somehow, and it must help them do it more efficiently than what their alternatives are (or were before Jive).  Make sure you have management across the company on board with where this fits and they can help put it into practice.

Identify your internal advocates, treat them extra special, and empower them anyway you can.  Then ask them to go recruit more advocates.  Sometimes it takes a person on the inside to show their teammates the ropes and win them over when you won't be able to.

Kara Francis

I agree that a variety of learning opportunities need to be available.  Some people figure it out on their own, while others have varying learning styles and benefit from the variety.  And then the support model that allows for self-sufficiency is great.

Matt Nevill, you are spot on!  Once employees can see how it makes their jobs easier and it doesn't feel like "something extra" to do, adoption improves.  As I meet with individual teams and learn about their team's goals and objectives, their pain points (with their current processes), and find out what they think might help them or what they want to see happen, etc., then I can begin to brainstorm with them on how Jive can help them (it's really rewarding when they come up with the solution after hearing a few ideas).  Kim England is also right that the training won't be leveraged until users have a reason to use it.

As Andrew Mishalove mentioned, a champions/advocates program is another opportunity to spread the passion around.  And when employees hear it from their peers rather than corporate, it can sometimes have a different impact.  We would hold a "collaboration showcase" where we would have teams do the presenting - they would share how they use it to improve how they worked, what their journey looked like, what they tried to worked or didn't work, what their ongoing goals and objectives are, etc.

Something else that we have seen make a difference is tying Jive into a corporate initiative.  For example, sharing information on a new corporate program or next year's benefits plan, a memo from a key leader, serving as a first step for IT support (not just for Jive stuff, but other applications), a green tip campaign during Earth Week, a live blogging event for an on-site "conference", etc.   - something that all or most employees would want to know about.  Then we still would send a targeted email linking them to the details.  Even if they only used Jive for that particular reason, it at least generated awareness, which is the first step.  I like to think that the "engagement cycle" starts with awareness, then interest, then usage, and after that comes adoption and then true engagement and integration into how we work.

Partnerships were also critical.  With HR, communications, IT, Innovation, and Learning and Development teams, just to name a few.  Partnering with key teams across the organization help us to better understand the business, key goals and timelines and attitudes, etc.  And they are closer to their business line, as Andrew mentioned, so they may have greater influence than the team that "owns" Jive.  They also helped us with the corporate initiatives that I mentioned above.  It was really their project that allowed us to raise awareness of Jive (but employees didn't necessarily need to know that it was "Jive")

In addition to some of the foundational items already mentioned in these replies, integration is one feature that we have also seen drive adoption.  The integration with MS Office and Outlook had a huge impact on some of our email-dependent users.

Libby Taylor

In my experience adoption comes down to the use cases. If your only use case is replacing your intranet with Jive, then your measure of success is probably based on page views which is fine. I think it's important to acknowledge that you can't expect pie when you're making lemon aid. In other words, be sure to expect the kind of engagement based upon what your objectives are for your community. Without other use cases to drive engagement in the form of discussions, projects, etc, you will likely only see the clicks of people reading things that would previously have been read on the intranet.

My question is, do you have any other uses cases (like corporate comms, or ideation, or IT service support) bundled into your social intranet?

england_k

Lindsay - this seems like a fantastic list of training and support. My question to you would be what does success look like, it seems you have the support ready and waiting when the people have questions or need support but the bit before that is missing. You need to answer the what's in it for me question? why do I need to log in and when i'm there what are you expecting me to do. I second Libby above in wondering whether you have some use cases and some objectives for your community.

amishalove

Great suggestions Matt Nevill and Libby Taylor.  Another very critical component to the success we've seen is building our own internal multi-level champions community.  I have developed a strong group of advocates (hundreds across the globe) that follow best practices and through regular meetings and active participation in groups, I have successfully duplicated my teams efforts in almost every region of the world.  These champions feel ownership over their world of our community and make sure it remains relevant for their user base.  They have also developed their own set of champions to continue this cycle.  This has enabled me to focus on the overarching strategic vision for our Jive community and continue to develop new use cases/address existing use cases and further the impact of Jive at Groupon.  From here, you will be able to deploy the techniques described by Matt & Libby.  It is also key to not try boiling the ocean overnight.  Grow your use cases over time and definitely incorporate existing business processes as much as possible.  Hope this helps!

Lindsay Forcino,

This is a great post!! I noticed you mentioned that you have mandatory training in your LMS. I was curious which system you are using. The reason I ask is that one thing that we've started to see, now that we have LMS systems that are integrated with the platform, is that when learning is "part of what you do in Jive", it enhances the overall learning experience. This lines up with the larger theme that Matt & Kara mentioned--integrating your existing business processes.

Kara Francis

I am interested in the objectives and content of the required course.

Is it "how to" content or is it centered around the "why" of social collaboration? (or both)  At one point we considered requiring a "social collaboration 101" course that centered around the why with use cases of how it can improve how we work, but we never got around to doing that.

Does anyone else out there require Jive-related training?  And is it a requirement to enter the system, or is simply something that shows up on their learning plan?  We automatically give all employees access, and I don't see that part changing.  We want to minimize the barriers to entry as much as possible, so every employee automatically has a profile loaded with basic HR data and their badge picture (which some people are anxious to go in and change) - that actually reminds me of something else we did - a photo contest.  Update your profile photo and be entered for a drawing for $100 gift card.  Sometimes contests can have an impact - but there are some that we did that had almost no impact...

it2000

Do you have other systems connected with Jive into the inbox or an activity stream (HR workflows; reports; alerts; ...)? Even though it does not help teaching users may use it more often. I wonder whether 'more teaching' is the right way.

+1 to use/business case

Users should use it because they get something back, so they will be learning by doing - there's little one can do wrong. Eg a company marketplace space for employees to sell/buy things. Or a 'best office photo' competition - management may want to improve poor looking offices. Moving project collaboration to Jive may be one of the best use cases.

A small test system (eg cleaned weekly) for new users would be nice so they can test everything before using it in production.

Thank you all.  A little more information... first and foremost, Jive is our company intranet, so initial expectations are to be able to find necessary company information.  So basics such as searching, finding and following content and starting a discussion.  This would be for all employees.  Next steps (which we are in the process of discovering now) are uncovering how each of our functional departments use Jive.  As many of you mentioned above, I think these use cases will be key to determining how we want our employees using Jive beyond just searching for company information.  But even with the "basics" training, we are struggling (i.e.- if you have a question about HR- instead of sending an email, search for the question and if it doesn't exist, ask a question/start a new discussion in the HR or appropriate space).  Since Jive is our company intranet, all neccessary corporate information can be found in the platform.  We even have a bi-weekly publication emailed out to all employees highlighting the "important" information found in Jive.  Almost all of our corporate communications have a link out to something in Jive.  This is what encouraged us to use the Advocate program to determine use cases throughout the functional departments... to Kim England's point the "What's in it for Me" piece.  We have already integrated/incoporated many business processes with Jive for the company as a whole- company phonebook, time and attendance, travel and expense, org charts and more.  We have many departments who have eliminated business processes or 3rd party sites by using Jive.  We are working on capturing and sharing those success stories.  Which I love the idea of a "collaboration showcase" Kara Francis!Kara Francis By focusing of the functional departments, we can start to map out specific objectives for each group.  Again- we are working to get to that point, understanding it may take a while.  And while our focus is shifting from the "general" use case (company intranet) to how Jive can reduce email, eliminate business processes, etc. for each individual team (which is a lot of use cases for 26,000 employees), we can't lose site of getting the entire company trained on the basics.  The Mandatory Training is a 35 minute video (40 for mangers) that included an introduction to the platform itself (navigation and basics) as well as an introduction to social collaboration.  To Kara Francis's point- I do think integrations such as Jive for Office and Mobile have helped tremedously.  Mark WeitzelMark Weitzel- our company uses Cornerstone as LMS.  There is a space dedicated to the Learning Institute that you can click to log-in (SSO) to the LMS System.

A questions on Champions- are these roles voluntary (ours are) or are they built into job descriptions?  We sometimes struggle with asking too much of our Advocates, but like Matt Nevill mentioned, the impact is much greater coming from the inside vs. coming from our team.

Courtney Zentz Jason Clemens Chris Cucci

england_k

Sounds like you've got more than just your training material, you've got a

strategy! It does also need time, I'm sure this time next year you'll be

looking back and thinking wow look how far we've come! Set yourself some

smaller incremental goals so you are able to record some early wins too!

Good luck!

Kim

On 3 Sep 2014, at 16:37, Jive Community <

neilmussett

What exactly do you mean by "struggling"? From your description, it sounds like you are on the right path!

Kim England and Neil Mussett - Thank you!  Our strategy is set for sure and we know it takes time.  Just wondering how much time at this point?  After launching 2+ years ago, I am just trying to see if we missed something along the way.  Our current problems: Active and Contributing users are low.  Our numbers for people attending our WebEx trainings are usually under 2.  The complaints about Mandatory trainings have been incredible (we may actually have to remove the assessment portion of it... a different conversation completely).  While we do have our power users and Advocates, the overall company view of the platform is really not that great.  "I hate RWorld" (RWorld being our Jive instance) is a pretty common saying.  So while it looks like all roses, we are struggling to introduce social collaboration in general to our very traditional company.  Which is why I was hoping we were missing something and someone had all of the answers!    We will continue on our path to working with each functional department and determine "What's in it for me"...

Andrew Mishalove - how did you go about recruiting your advocates?  What do you require of them?  I would be interested  in any details you are willing to share, as we are continuing to build out our Advocate program.

LG . - I have never heard of incorporating anything else into the Inbox.  Is that something you set up with Jive?  Where could I get more information on that?

Kara Francis

One overarching pattern that I have experienced is that it happens one person, one leader, and one team at a time.  And the adoption hook is different for everyone.  You never know when the seeds that you have planted will blossom.  But we have to keep planting them and then giving them sunlight, water, etc..

With discretion, I will cold call people whenever I see an opportunity where Jive might be able to help them.  I have a semi-standard process that I follow to help capture their attention and interest during that initial contact (usually a short email) and ask if I can talk with them or someone on their team.  One example was a mass email that was sent out saying "email our shared mailbox with your green/environmentally friendly tip by April 1st and be entered for a drawing for a gift card.  We'll then feature your tips on our intranet.”  After seeing that email, I reached out to the team that was managing that campaign.  After a few questions and a quick conversation, they were anxious to update their messaging to say "share your tip in the "Get Green” community, join the conversation, and be entered into a drawing…”.  A few of the benefits that they quickly realized were 1) they didn't have to manage the shared mailbox and then go through them to post them on the intranet - the user-generated content approach would do that for them 2) Reduce duplicates and increase likes and comments and allow people to build off of others' ideas; 3)Provide a long-term repository for employees to search over time, and 4) the tips kept coming in, even after the gift card campaign was over.

This is just a simple example.  So even though our platform had existed for years, this particular team didn't really have the vision without someone nudging them a little.  Once they saw how it was relevant to them, they immediately caught the vision and have found other opportunities to leverage it.  (unfortunately, though, not everyone immediately (or ever) catches the vision, no matter how hard I have tried - for those, I move on to the next team).

If I ever hear about a campaign like this before the mass email goes out, I try to talk with them as soon as possible.  Sometimes it is too late for that particular initiative, but they have kept the door open for next time.  But what I have learned through all of this is that for some, I can't wait for them to contact me.  (if you build it, they will come only works for a small number of people)

neilmussett

OK - this makes more sense now. It sounds less like a "training" problem than an "adoption" problem. You have a great product that your customers do not seem to want.

My advice - run out and get yourself a copy of the book The Lean Startup. The whole point of the book is that when you are trying to introduce a new product (RWorld), and you don't know why your customers don't seem to want it, you need to restructure your group so that it can learn what they do want. Some quick things you can do right now:

• Create a "Cohort Analysis" Report for your users. Group people by when they first created an account on RWorld, and then track your percentage of active users within that group. In other words, you will see that 62% of your users who joined in June are still active, compared to 34% of your users who joined in May. Create another report that shows the same for Contributing users. This will start showing you how long it takes before people get any use out of RWorld.
                                          • Start running experiments. Once you have reports that show that you have a big drop of in the second month, for example, take a group of users who went inactive after the second month and divide it into two groups, A and B. Don't do anything special for users in group A. For group B, try something (but only one thing). Send them an email. Share some content with them. Call them on the phone. Anything. Then, see how many return to the product. If they do no better than group A, then you know that you are wasting your time. If you see a big improvement, start doing that with everyone who goes inactive. In this way, you will start getting to know your users and their needs in a way you can use. Your experiments will show you where to focus your time.
                                            daveschwabe

Lindsay,

A few things. There have been a number of great responses, so I'll do my best to focus on your last post, but I may overlap as well. Apologies in advance.

1. Ensure your strategy for Jive lines up with your corporate vision and strategies. Seems simple enough, but don't get caught up in a "social" strategy, but how social can add a new element to delivering top-level strategies. Philips Electronics, for example, used it as a centerpiece to kick off a digital transformation strategy. (Google it. Jive folks will curse because it was done on another platform. ;-) ) Many employees don't even know what those strategies are, particularly in companies with a long history of a hierarchical communication style. The folks at the top know, one layer down knows and then strategic awareness gets sketchy from there on down.
                                            2. To that end, social should be a vehicle for delivering communicating strategy. Articulating the strategies and hearing how they are progressing will bring people into the platform.
                                            3. Do you have active participation from senior leaders? I mean CEO and that person's direct reports. People want to hear from them. Posts from our leaders are consistently the most popular posts of all time. They should be using Jive to connect employees to strategy, talk about timely topics and reinforce key themes. They can't ghost-write and need to do some level of response to their posts as well, not a broadcast. They can add a disclaimer like "I will try to respond to some of your questions, but I may not get to them all." And if Jive is only the place they make those updates, people will pay attention. A "tweet" every 1-2 weeks isn't too much to ask if they are truly committed to improving knowledge sharing across the company.
                                            4. I would avoid mandatory training. Optional is ok, like lunch-and-learns, because it draws people in. Mandatory training can trigger resentment, which is the opposite of what you want in social.
                                            5. Recruiting advocates should be made easier by having a history in social. Find the ones who rise to the top. Those are your advocates. Get and publish success stories unique to social, where it was the most effective way to achieve an outcome. Those folks are great candidates for advocacy as well.
                                            6. Interview both the advocates and some non-participants. Find out what and why they use it, as well as how to make it better.
                                            7. Put challenges (lightweight gamification) out to get people to raise ideas on how social could help them do their job more effectively. Give awards to the top 3, something like a company coffee mug, polo shirt and pen. The employees will be part of the solution and the ideas may help you get more value from social.
                                            8. What is the industry? What is the culture of communication? Workforce demographics? Those answers will really shape how employees get value from social. The engagement you'll get from a technology company is way different that what you'll get from a manufacturing company that's been around for 100 years that has many employees that have 10, 20, 30, 40 years of service under their belts.
                                            9. Realize that social is a journey, not a destination. You will need to adjust to keep things fresh. Find new use cases. An intranet is good, but traditional intranets have been static in nature, so people may not be used to interacting when they go there. Plan to roll something new out every 1-2 months.
                                            10. Last, putting social in the workstream and/or traditional tools will help the transition. Some companies are very email-centric. Realize the reality and make it easier for people to interact with social. Here's the Outlook piece. Jive for Outlook Module

Good luck!

it2000

'Inbox entries are created as a side effect of creating a Share or DirectMessage that includes the recipient, or being @mentioned in a content object.'

I've never seen this. Relevant workflow items may be missed in a stream so I'd put them in the inbox.

it2000

.oO(I would also hate RWorld if I would have to do trainings and an assessment test.)

amishalove

We launched our Jive community with a few key use cases:  Corporate communications, HR policies resource center and corporate directory.  Naturally, our corporate comms teams in each region handle the creation of the editorial calendar and by leveraging a platform to which EVERY employee has access, they finally have a voice with a global audience.  Give them a voice and they will love you forever.  Same goes with HR.  We had bad alternatives before Jive.  With Jive, our HR folks in each region finally have place to store everything that is accessible to everyone but secured based on region (our policies differ region by region).  Another voice with an attentive audience.  Between these 2 groups, we acquired nearly 100 advocates.  As our community matured, we developed more and more use cases with large attentive audiences.  The group and space owners finally had a platform for reaching the masses, adoption grew and the admins had a way to measure success.  Now that we have indicators of success, we challenge our advocates each quarter to meet or exceed these goals.  Finally, it doesn't hurt to gamify the platform and offer prizes (like an iPad giveaway, etc).

In a nutshell:

• move mission critical workflow processes to Jive
                                                  • consolidate systems so Jive becomes THE system or the way to quickly access everything you need to get work done (in one consolidated place)
                                                  • make sure the experience is hyperlocal
                                                  • empower your advocates by giving them a voice
                                                  • establish some friendly competition by creating a performance dashboard with measurable goals
                                                  • set quarterly KPI's for each admin based on your overarching goals

Hope this helps!

timg

Lindsay-

I'm brand new to this community, and aside from having less (a lot less) users to manage this change with, I think our two companies are in very similar places.  I've been doing business process improvement for several years now (with backgrounds in IT, online curriculum development, implementation and training) and am a huge believer that Jive will address a number of business challenges which our user community has been screaming about for years now.  Problem is, "you can lead a horse to water, but....how do you make it drink"?

One of our goals:  We have staff with (in some case) decades of industry knowledge and expertise which isn't being memorialized anywhere, so knowledge exchange involves email, phone or instant messaging--none of which can be captured or leveraged in any way.  And of course when these experts leave the company, so does that expertise.  So, one of the main goals we have for Jive is to memorialize institutional/industry knowledge which can be categorized, searched on, and built upon (through social interaction directly with the SMEs using Jive)....ultimately boiling-down to this empowering our company to make better, more informed business decisions.

Our's is also a very traditional, heavily email-reliant company with a horribly outdated and static company intranet which offers relatively little business value.  Although we have made some small "shifts" toward getting folks to use Jive, such as posting our weekly internal News publications there, but as an oversight, we've also left it accessible on our intranet which is where it's always been...and of course the majority of users still view it there. Yes, Fail.  Although we do have "pockets" of departments and units which use it for their own purposes, like sharing "kudos", discussing appraisal "best practices", etc., none of them would really make a use case which really appeals to the masses.

I think there are several approaches to increasing "user adoption"(some have been touched on already); in past jobs, I've found the two most successful ones have been a.) having its use mandated by senior management (this must involve specific, clearly outlined business purposes on "how/when" it should be used, and even more effective if its a required process for which individuals are held accountable for participating/completing), or--if you cannot get senior leadership endorsement/support (as we cannot seem to at the moment), b.) find the "right" individuals and have it start out as grassroots movement.  By "right individuals" I mean people who are drawn to technology and bring some element of creativity to how they approach their job. Also, Business Process people are often adept for finding new ways to leverage technology to support processes.  Work with theses small groups of individuals to identify their  "rub points", inefficiencies and business challenges which could be addressed by Jive, and then focus on any "big wins", like those offering the best use case (or best ROI never hurts either) which can be realized in the least amount of time.

Right now, I'm trying to work with HR to see if we can incorporate Jive into a few existing HR processes, like the On-boarding process and the annual/bi-annual employee performance process, while also seeing if we can get several grassroots movements going.  Once you have enough overall movement on the effort and can show at least a few meaningful success stories, your (and my) senior leaders would seem remiss by at least not calling attention to it....and that's a good start!

a_behrens

We recently re-booted our curriculum for our community and started by deploying a formal ILT curriculum for our E-Learning Suites (Jive + LMS). So far this has improved understanding and engagement.

Previous Tactic:

As-needed camtasia tutorials

Informal training provided by our Community Manager in New Hire

Current Tactic:

"Roadshow" style events using our new Insructor Led Curriculum

Field and Trainer-Driven Message

Curriculum Framework per Module

- Present a probable business case

- "Show" how to work through the case using Jive and/or LMS

- Guide audience through steps

- Present a new but similar Use Case with a mission

- User uses newly learned skill to solve the problem

Components - standardized Facilitator Guide, Participant Guide

In addition, I would recommend a Steering Committee that includes individuals that have the most exposure to the end-user (New Hire Trainers, Frontline Managers, etc.) Lead the conversation by discovering their pain points and struggles then position the platform to solve those problems. I have a philosophy I repeat almost ad nauseum. "If the platform doesn't replace something they do with more quality or eliminate a step or task - it's unlikely we'll see rapid adoption."

clairetaz

Hi Lindsay - what a great post!

As Libby Taylor said, people won't be active/contribute or 'live there' if the platform is just somewhere to go and get information. Business units need to understand their use cases and how the platform will a) make them more efficient and productive and b) help them achieve their business objectives. Use case training is key. It took me a long time to define and articulate the use cases in a simple way that would convey to sponsors and stakeholders 'what's in it for them'. As you bring new business units to the platform, I recommend to do a business assessment with the key stakeholder to find out about their challenges, current process for collaborating/finding information etc, future process and what they expect with RWorld, who their members will be, what are their business objectives etc etc (I had a spreadsheet that I filled out as they talked). From this (1hour) phone meeting you can understand which use cases they will deploy and tailor the training accordingly. I tagged and shared these assessments in our Community Manager group so that everyone could see what and how the other business areas were using Jive. I also used the assessment as the first shared collaboration doc with the stakeholder.

For example, in the 50+ on-boarding business assessments I did, one overarching theme in the 'challenges' section was the difficulty with using email for communicating with the team. As we all know, Jive is the vehicle that enables a new way of working in teams... communicating, sharing, collaborating remotely in groups/streams. The 'working in streams' + mobile access to them might be the missing piece in your comprehensive training. I think it is a business transformation that cannot be underestimated if you want to get the most out of your Jive. I found that hooking the team or project leader was key. I would do a screen-share with them and much of the time they didn't have any custom stream, they still had the default 'Overview' as Home, and they complained about the Activity being 'too much useless info' & couldn't find their group. Setting a stream up simply with their team/project group and making it their homepage was like a revelation! Wow, suddenly there was 'relevancy'. Once they realize they can go out on the golf course, check their phone, click on their project stream and get their project updates, follow what's going on... without the need for email or any other device... BINGO...!  (you know you succeeded when the first thing they do when they wake up is reach for their phone and click on the J).

I created a simple blog Top 10 things to do when you start with (your Jive platform) and blogs like 'Team Stream -  Best Practice' which was one that showed very simply how to set up your first team stream. It is also important to train on basic sharing privacy/secrecy to remove the 'fear factor'.

I could go on... but my advice is... cover the basics, do use case training, then measure success with use case metrics so that you measure according to your business expectations!

1 person found this helpful