4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 1:25 PM by rj027942

Load testing for Jive 7 how?

rj027942

Hello,

We are in the process of upgrading our Jive instance to the 7.x version.  Does anyone know how to do it?. Can we use Jmeter for it or any other tool?. I would appreciate if you could share predefined load testing scripts, like a JMX scripts OR other formats, which would help us put some load on the system.

Thanks,

Rohit

• Re: Load testing for Jive 7 how?
          whoiskevin

This is one of the harder things to do without significant work.  Load testing is unique to each use case so if I had a load test that I could share with you it would not necessarily fit the profile of use on your site.

I can tell you that this takes a significant effort and you will need to invest some time in a proper profile for your load (are your users heavy into discussions or more into documents, how much do they comment, mark correct answers, assign tasks, do they upload documents or create, are they creating social groups at all, and many more questions).  You can do this internally or yourself but it is no small task to record and then script out a proper load test that doesn't just create unnatural hot spots.  Most load testing frameworks will only be a small piece of the work.  The actual script, test user accounts, database resets, etc is where the actual work resides.

I'm not aware of any script that would even begin to help you so I wouldn't wait on that coming from anywhere.  It would be great but I don't see that happening.

There was a time when Jive professional services could engage with you and use your web logs to come up with a test using an internal tool that they would run.  That tool was not something that worked out of the box so it really required an engagement to go through all the information first.  It may be worth checking with them about whether that is still an option and how much time and money that would cost.

Good luck.  Sorry I don't have better news for you.

rj027942

Hey Kevin,

I appreciate your help and suggestion. No worries at all.

Thanks,

Rohit 

craig.reeves

Hey Rohit,

Back in an early implementation we experimented for our Jive 5 to 6 upgrade load testing with apache benchmark tool which was able to generate some high level load to specific resources. The problem we found with this is that the traffic wasn't real - it was more about pushing the instance to its breaking point to work out where bottlenecks would come from. As Kevin mentioned a lot of work could (and should) be taken to understand your user activity profiles and then be able to translate that into tests. You can get AB from ab - Apache HTTP server benchmarking tool - Apache HTTP Server Version 2.2 - I will share my scripts if I manage to find them.

A second tool which I begun experimenting with but isn't a traditional load testing tool is Selenium - Web Browser Automation which provides a nice IDE environment for you to record sessions and then play them back. This isn't too bad if you have resources to throw at testing in terms of spinning up clients. I found that although it was easy to define workload patterns, being able to produce the traffic was quite intensive.

The third stage we started looking at was a commercial product, specifically CompuWare Dynatrace (APM) as I have experience with this product - are very good at plugging in to your environment, throwing load at your instance and then telling you in very high level of detail (all the way down how expensive every single method call in Jive is) where your problems are and where you can improve. This does take some level of integration and being a commercial product there is a cost implication too, but if you have a high traffic platform or quite a customised implementation then tools like this are very valuable. In the interest of full disclosure, the company I work for sells CompuWare products, and having implemented this against a Jive environment I can tell you it provides a great level of detail to be able to identify problems very quickly. There are of course other commercial platforms out there which provide similar functionality - but this is the one I have actually implemented.

Hope this helps

Craig