My company was originally a one-product company, and our main forums lived under one space landing page: /community/discussion-forums/<forum topic>, where "discussion-forums" is the landing page.
We have a new product line and we are considering changing URL structure. Retaining the original product's landing page URL and name while creating a separate landing page for the new product with a more specific name would be somewhat inconsistent.
Current URL to original product landing page for the many forums:
Proposed URL to the original product landing page and forums:
Proposed URL structure to one of the proposed forums for the new product:
And there are 2 forums under the original forums landing page that aren't fully product related that I would consider moving out.
might make more sense in a new, product agnostic area, such as
I have a few questions and concerns. First, and broadly, what are some of the edges you experienced when you made changes like these?
- Obviously, links to spaces will be broken, but we can address that with redirects. No real question, other than is there anything I am not considering?
- There might be SEO impact when moving or renaming spaces, but this impact should be mitigated with 301 redirects, correct?
- Any technical hiccups when you've moved spaces in the space hierarchy?
- Best practice for landing page URL naming? For example, would we want to have Product A's URL segment show as /community/productA-forums/<forum name>, or /community/productA/<forum name>?
- Best practice for forum URL naming? For example, /community/productA-forums/productA-<forum name>, or /community/productA/<forum name>?
- Best practice for forums landing page space display names? For example, would the landing page space be named "Product A Forums"? Or just "Product A"?
- Best practice for forum space display name? Given ProductB has similar forum topics as ProductA, "Product A - <topic>"? or simply "<topic>", leaving out the product name in the forum title?