6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 2:31 PM by blueumbrella

Creating a discussion thread from a comment - best practice

blueumbrella

Hey All,

Our communtiy is relatively new (we've just passed the two month mark!) and there is one thing I've noticed a bit of. We have comments open on all documents, and blogs, and have noticed that as well as strictly "comments", our members are asking questions which should be asked in the forums. As far as I know, you can't move a comment to make it a discussion, so I'm stuck with how best to approach this. Does anyone have ideas on how to tackle this so the comments section isn't clogged with a back and forth dialog. The only solution I've come up at the moment is to create a discussion thread with the user's question, and @mention them so they are aware of it, and hopefully post their responses there.

Would love to hear what other soutions you've come up with!

Cheers

Emily 

• Re: Creating a discussion thread from a comment - best practice
          mark_h_intel

Since we cannot move the comments into a new discussion/question, I sometimes start a new discussion on behalf of the user. This method is not ideal since the question shows as coming from me. I put something like this on the first line:

This question has been posted on behalf of blueumbrella. Or, blueumbrella asked this question. At least I can get the question in the right place where someone might see it and answer.

You could also send a message to the user if messaging is enabled to all users and explain to them a better place to post. You could also put the explanation as a reply or comment to that person, but I don't like that option since it might embarrass the poster.

I'm quite interested in hearing how other communities might handle this.There could be some better options I haven't thought of.

blueumbrella

Thanks Mark! I ended up doing something very similar to your suggestion yesterday around @mentioning, and seemed to work pretty well, but always willing to hear other strategies too.

Kara Francis

Once you create the new post on behalf of the user, do you then delete the comment from the blog or document to prevent further propagation?  What do you do with any comments that have already been added to respond to the comment-question?  Do you add a screenshot of the comments or copy and paste them into the newly-created thread?

mark_h_intel

I copy and paste the contents of the original content into the new discussion. In my cases, the question wasn't a comment to an existing piece of content. They were usually questions that were created with the wrong content type, such as blog or document. And more often than not they were also not posted in the forum where people would see the question and answer. So I usually do delete the original. Although if the original has comments, I would probably leave the original, add a link to the question thread, and lock the original place to keep from getting more comments. It depends on what will help our user community the best.

blueumbrella

I left the comment, and just posted a reply with the link to the new thread. Though I'd probably remove the original if it was completely irrelevant. Since most of our content are tutorials based, it might help someone else who visits the same page. I've only had to lock down comments for one document, as it just seemed to pick up speed with our members asking different questions. The problem with asking functionality or troubleshooting questions below our documents, is that it's not in the forum, and therefore not as visible

Kara Francis

Jive for Outlook has been one way around this for me, if I happen to have subscribed to the post.  I can take the email sent for that comment (this works with discussions, documents, blogs, etc.) and then convert it to a discussion.  I can re-title the new discussion so that it is more relevant to the comment/question.  And I can add a reply stating that I have converted the person's comment as a new discussion and thank the user for his/her question by @ mentioning them.  I can also @ mention the original post where the comment came from.  But this way the new question shows up as being submitted by the person truly asking the question.

But this of course doesn't help if you didn't receive the comment notification via email.  But you could coach group and space owners to do this, as they are more likely to be getting notifications for content related to the places that they manage.

An idea was posted several years ago to allow branching on other content types Branch document/blog comments to new discussion

The general response from Jive is that "comments" work differently than "replies", so that is why discussion replies have branching.  I don't know if the response has changed recently or not.

ConvertCommentDocument.jpg