14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 1:43 PM by gordon_sorensen

How did you handle switch to 'streams'?

gordon_sorensen

Background:

A few weeks ago we migrated from a very old version of Jive to the Cloud. In our old version, we had "Receive email notifications" on each space or piece of content. It was clear and easy. Well, since the migration, I have been getting some serious pushback by a few internal users that, in no uncertain terms, their unhappiness with this whole idea of streams, needing to go to your Inbox/Activity page to create one, etc. I don't completely disagree with them, but with such a big upgrade, change is inevitable. And, with Email Watches already as a stream choice, it still seems really easy to just click on Follow in a space or piece of content, select the EW box and click Done. Pretty straightforward. The only gotcha is when a member (new or otherwise) may not have one - they then need to create one. Not the most intuitive process, and more steps than I would like to see, but it can be done.

Questions:

We have been working a few bugs out and will soon be doing an email announcement out to our entire membership base (35k+) about the new version, and conducting a series of webinars to walk them thru the new features. Can you share advice/best practices for how you may have handled this situation? Did you see a decrease in engagement at all? How long to recover? I am not a big fan of this approach, and find its results inconsistent. The thing is, I need to be confident about it so I can explain it to our members.

thanks.

• Re: How did you handle switch to 'streams'?
          mnevill

Gordon,

We saw this coming and after a lot of thought and planning the best we could come up with for messaging was point users to the email settings on their preferences page to turn items for their inbox on and then advise them to use Follow > Inbox. 

Here is a video that we just revamped with this new approach since the old one used "Receive email notifications":

We just went live last week, so I don't have any feedback yet, but I'm sure people will complain about it.  I know I would. It used to be a one click process and now it is several with having to hop between pages.  Before it was removed "Receive email notifications" was simple, required no training, and was a great feature.  I think Jive needs to bring this back somehow, even if it means throwing it in a stream under the hood.

Thanks,

Matt

gordon_sorensen

Thanks a lot, Matt. Completey agree. As I mentioned, I am just getting beat up about it, and that is just from internal. I like the video idea, and we have thought of doing something similar. But truthfully, we have been wrestling with so many issues since go live, and was so busy leading up to go live, that while a video was on our To Do, we ran out of time.

Your last paragraph says it all. I just don’t understand why it was changed. Like you say, from one click to several across a couple of pages.

But curious – why go with Follow>Inbox, as opposed to Follow>Email Watch? When you migrated, did you have an Email Watch stream get created? The Inbox issue is another one that is confusing. On a person’s Preference page there are 3 “Inbox” with not a whole lot of distinction between them. I still have a hard time keeping straight which one will send a notification to my Outlook email.

Thanks again.

mnevill

Gordon.

We went with Inbox because the email settings for it were easy to explain with the Preferences page and it is a stream that everyone has with no exceptions.  Only existing users that had clicked "Receive email notifications" on something prior to your upgrade will have a stream named "Email Watches".  It would be confusing to reference the Email Watches steam because new users and users that had never subscribed to anything before would not have it.  Then you box yourself into having to explain the stream concept altogether, and I would rather just avoid it.  Don't get me wrong, I think custom streams can be useful for superusers who actually log in and participate often, but it is just not a win for the "one and done" users who just need a quick answer or want to participate via email.

If you create an idea in the Jive Platform space to bring the Receive email notifications link back, I will vote for it.  Hopefully this thread will bring some attention back to this setback.  I bet we aren't the only ones that found it useful.

Thanks,
                  Matt

gordon_sorensen

Having just watched your video, a couple of comments;

1. Nice job. We will use it as 'creative inspiration".

2. I think I now see why you chose Inbox over Email Watches. You may not have had a stream named Email Watches like we did, and just selecting Inbox is a lot simpler than further describing how to set up a custom stream named Email Watches. But in checking "Inbox" - it was my understanding that means your JIVE inbox, not a person's Outlook inbox. Do I have that wrong?

AmandaS

Hi - we still have issues with people understanding the concept of ‘Follow' and how their email notifications are tied to streams.  We did do a few things pre-go live to try and help in this area.  These things won't help anyone who's already upgraded but they may help other people.  Note, we are on prem so these things also may not be possible for everyone.

1. We identified each user's existing email notifications for Places via the database.   As a migration process we created a stream for them called "Essential Stream” and set it up to follow all of the places where they had email notifications. We then set the stream to have email ON.  Note, we didn't want to call this stream "email notifications” because we felt that users would then think it  was the only stream they could use for email.
                    2. We set the default email notifications for all users under Preferences such that all Inbox items would send email.
                    3. We extended the ‘tour the interface' part of the Get Started to include information on where their email notifications went and how to add more

As a side note, we also used analytics info to identify each user's top 10 most visited Places and we pre-populated Quick Links to those places.  This was a major help for the navigational changes and bridged people into the new UI.

Overall we had a very smooth transition for existing users.  I do find though that new users still struggle a bit with the Follow and Stream concepts.  Our community is blended employee/customer/partner and not purely external.

Thanks,

Amanda

gordon_sorensen

Thanks, Amanda. That seems very thorough. CDan you please explain a little more about the Quick Links? I am not familiar, and it doesn't seem to be a widget. thanks.

mnevill

We set the default email notifications for all users under Preferences such that all Inbox items would send email.

I was told you could not do this for all users without running a DB script and Jive support was reluctant to do that as it may create instability.  Maybe that is where being on Prem helps.  We were able to set this to the default for new users, but any previously existing users who changed the corresponding setting on our old version would not be set for Inbox email notifications.

Thanks,
                          Matt

gordon_sorensen

Matt - set this to the default  for new users -- is that an Admin Console setting? and could you pls elaborate on the the second part. Not sure what you mean. thanks.

We were able to set this to the default for new users, but any previously existing users who changed the corresponding setting on our old version would not be set for Inbox email notifications.

mnevill

If you set the system property notify.communications.external.default.preference = true, it enables emails for anything in the Inbox stream for new users only. For all other previously existing users this setting will depend on how they were configured before the upgrade.  We were on Jive 5 and the past setting this was tied to was "Send me email notifying me about: Everything in my Communications page".

gordon_sorensen

Thanks, Matt, that is good to know. If you read my response on your idea (thanks for doing that, btw) you will see that I am going to instruct our members to just go Preferences, then turn first 2 Inbox settings to ON, then select Inbox from the Follow drop down on any piece of content or space. Straightforward and (almost as) easy. It actually took me a bit to get confirmation that these ON Inbox settings send email to your Outlook. Plus coming from 4, I don't need to be concerned with any pre-configured settings. This will bring in email for everyone.

miles_appel@gap.com

I have been using an Announcement along with a link to our description of Connection Stream vs Email Watches.  You can also force an email via the announcement so that people receive the Announcement and that way they can make the appropriate change.

1 person found this helpful
                                mnevill

I made an idea to put this back into the platform.  Please go vote it up.

Bring back the "receive email notifications" option

1 person found this helpful