2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 12:56 PM by bdozier

Problem with Redirects and Excel/Word Links

brian.marsh

I have an internal Jira server, and one of my users is trying to link to specific documents in Jira throughout his Microsoft Excel/Word documents. It appears that sometimes the link works as expected - the specific document page is displayed. However sometimes the page instead redirects to the main Jira home page. I've been able to replicate this with Office 2013 products and Jira 6.0.

What little I could find seems to reference the Microsoft Office Protocol Discovery - evidently Excel/Word performs a pre-fetch of the URL to determine if the server supports WebDAV? Copying and pasting the link directly in the browser acts as expected - the specific url loads instead of redirecting to the home page.

Has anyone seen this in the past? Is there a known workaround?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Brian

• Re: Problem with Redirects and Excel/Word Links
          ReeceO

We had a similar issue with our Jive instance, and hyperlinks in Microsoft Office products.

There is a known issue in Microsoft products when you are on a proxy that sometimes interferes with hyperlinks to secure sites embedded within PPT, DOC and XLS file types.

We found a fix on the Microsoft site and rolled it out to all our users. Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218153/ scroll down about 2/3rds of the way, and select "Fix it for me". It takes about a minute to install and fixed the problem permanently for us.

I think this may have been before Windows 7. We haven't had any issues since upgrading to Windows 7. Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful